Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Are there any coilovers that do not require drilling holes?

I really don't want to drill holes in the trunk floor but don't have a thousand dollars to spend.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Pedders, get springs if you don't want to spend over 1k.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
I really don't want to drill holes in the trunk floor but don't have a thousand dollars to spend.
You do not want coil overs that cost less than $1000. It is one of those items where you will get what you pay for. I would recommend looking at lowering springs.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
As the above said, Pedders doesn't require you to drill holes in the trunk.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
You don't want to get coil overs that are new and cost less than $1,000. Now if someone has some used Pedders Xa's or Pfadt ones they are getting rid of, that is a different story.

Why do you want coilovers? What is your end purpose?

Is it just for looks? Then get some lowering springs. They are slightly functional as well since they lower the center of gravity of the car.

If you don't live in a REAL bumpy area, lowering springs are good. I did this for the 1st few months I had my car. Then that winter I put Coilovers on because I do track days and live in a VERY BUMPY area.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
pedders does not require any drilling inside the car and they are pretty amazing
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
pedders does not require any drilling inside the car and they are pretty amazing
+1
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Thanks guys. Right now I have:

Pedders coils
Pedders end links
FE4 front and rear struts
Pedders front 28mm sway bar
Pedders rear ZL-1 32mm sway bar
ZL-1 rear toe arms
Pedders spec'd alignment

I love the current look but it rides like shit and would prefer to be .5" lower and have a little more smoother of a ride.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
Thanks guys. Right now I have:

Pedders coils
Pedders end links
FE4 front and rear struts
Pedders front 28mm sway bar
Pedders rear ZL-1 32mm sway bar
ZL-1 rear toe arms
Pedders spec'd alignment

I love the current look but it rides like shit and would prefer to be .5" lower and have a little more smoother of a ride.
Ya, your next step is the Pedders XA's. I LOVE mine
Old 04-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Personally I like having the wholes in the trunk. Makes it super easy to adjust and no leaning down under or even by my car. Over 1.5 years with mine and not a single issue with the wholes in the trunk.

That being said....if you want Pedders XA then keep an eye out on places like Amazon or AutoAgenda. A friend of mine picked up a set of Pedders for just over $1k from one of those sites. I just can't remember which one it was.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Personally I like having the wholes in the trunk. Makes it super easy to adjust and no leaning down under or even by my car. Over 1.5 years with mine and not a single issue with the wholes in the trunk.

That being said....if you want Pedders XA then keep an eye out on places like Amazon or AutoAgenda. A friend of mine picked up a set of Pedders for just over $1k from one of those sites. I just can't remember which one it was.
Having the adjusters in the trunk make it very easy to get to. You only have to make the hole as big as the cable. (The ends come off with a set screw)

AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
PFADT!

Adjustments are on the bottom side of the coilover... You do not need to drill holes in trunk, or even jack up the car to make adjustments. Not one tool needed to do any adjustments track-side.

We carry them and only sell Pfadt suspension components for a reason. The overseas stuff is just not worth it as down the line you will be replacing them for a good set of coilovers. As the others have said, is there a mandated reason for coilovers? Maybe use a drop-spring set now and then down the line save for a nice set of USA made coilovers?
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
The overseas stuff is just not worth it as down the line you will be replacing them for a good set of coilovers.
Sorry but thats a ridiculous and closed minded statement. There's plenty of crap made here as well as overseas. Point of origin has nothing to do with quality. Salesmanship is one thing, blind bias is something entirely different.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Definitely check the Pfadts out! They can be adjusted from outside the car, with the wheel attached, with ease.

You're on the right path though- if you go any lower you should definitely bump up to a coilover. Like others have said, spending 1k on new coilovers is just one of those things where you're just better off not doing. Its better to wait a little longer and save to get the results your looking for from the start. Don't stress it though, have some fun, enjoy summer, and start planning the perfect suspension mods for you. We'll all be here when your ready. The Pfadt coilovers are specifically engineered for aggressive street/track handling or drag performance so there is something for everyone. The valving and spring rates are specifically tuned to allow drivers to capture all of the performance these cars can throw at them. You'll have some fun
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote