Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
alex33x

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Clear Bra Questions??

So believe it or not, Im new to this. I was wondering how is it applied? from what I've seen it looks like tinting. After you take it off if you do will it cause any damage to the paint? and last who do you usually go to to get this done? A body shop? A tinting place?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
White Devil

Drives: Summit White 1SS Soon
I don't know the exact application process as there are different brands. But it won't damage the paint. As far as getting it done... google clear bra and el paso?
White Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
alex33x

Found a plce where they make custome ones I got quoted 450 to install it. The whole front end and about 25% of the hood.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
White Devil

Drives: Summit White 1SS Soon
Not a bad price! Do they use a 3M film?
White Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
fee5fofum

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Coupe & 2SS/RS
Try this link:

http://www.xpel.com/support/installation/videos.asp#

Hope this is what you were looking for ...
fee5fofum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
My dealership installed it for $595. Entire hood, side fenders, bumber/facsia, and back of side mirrors.

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
alex33x

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Devil View Post
Not a bad price! Do they use a 3M film?
Yeah they'll use 3M film, and will give me a 5 year warranty.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
I am in the industry and I have never heard of a good installer in El Paso. There is no way in hell I would trust anyone out there to do a custom install. They WILL cut your paint up... there are only a few good installers in the country that can do custom jobs without damaging your paint. I would also recommend going with a better film than 3M. It has way too much orange peel and does not hold up well. Go with VentureShield Ultra or ClearMask AR... no orange peel and both have LIFETIME warranties.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #9
alex33x

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
I am in the industry and I have never heard of a good installer in El Paso. There is no way in hell I would trust anyone out there to do a custom install. They WILL cut your paint up... there are only a few good installers in the country that can do custom jobs without damaging your paint. I would also recommend going with a better film than 3M. It has way too much orange peel and does not hold up well. Go with VentureShield Ultra or ClearMask AR... no orange peel and both have LIFETIME warranties.
What do you mean by cutting the paint up?? They said their going to do the front end in 2 pieces. I dont really ahve a lot of options its the only shop in town who will do a custom install, all the other ones want to get a kit and install it.

The shop is nice too not the crappy ones I've seen, but like I said I dont have options here, I did ask around and they told me in other shops that nobody did custom installs in el paso.

But I mean if they are giving me a 5 year warranty doesnt that tell something about them?? As a professional what do you recommend i do??
Old 07-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex33x View Post
What do you mean by cutting the paint up?? They said their going to do the front end in 2 pieces. I dont really ahve a lot of options its the only shop in town who will do a custom install, all the other ones want to get a kit and install it.

The shop is nice too not the crappy ones I've seen, but like I said I dont have options here, I did ask around and they told me in other shops that nobody did custom installs in el paso.

But I mean if they are giving me a 5 year warranty doesnt that tell something about them?? As a professional what do you recommend i do??
A custom install is where they take bulk film and wrap the front with it. They then gut the excess off with a razor blade... and a lot of times cut your paint up while doing it. Once the paint is cut you will not know it until the film is removed... to me that is vandalism. I dont know for sure if that shop is good enough to do it without cutting the paint. It is El Paso and I HIGHLY doubt it.

So what is wrong with kits??? I have a feeling that this shop is telling you precut kits are not any good... and they are completely wrong. The companies making patterns these days are excellent at what they do. Proform makes patterns that roll almost every edge making it really hard to see. I think a lot of the bulk installers do not like using kits because it drives up their cost significantly. They have to buy a plotter ($5000) and all of the software that goes along with it... and will have to pay for cutting patterns. So a lot of companies try to boost their profits buy bulk installing. I will put one of my kit instals up against their custom jobs any day.

They are also not standing behind the film for 5 years. 3M is. So dont think that its a better deal because they are not standing behind their product. The two films I use have a lifetime warranty... not just 5 years. So if something happens (yellows, peels, cracks, fades...) for as long as you VentureShild and ClearMask warranty it and provide the material.

I understand htat you do not have many options but bevery careful when it comes to custom installs. The majority of the time installers will cut your paint up and they will always say "we didnt do that... we never cut the paint up". I have pulled many of these so called custom installs of only to find the clients paint damaged. To me that is just as bad or worse than getting rock chips... and falls into the same category as getting your car keyed.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
I'm getting the VentureShield product installed Tuesday for $595 in N. VA. Doesn't include the headlights ($75). The reg price is $895. I'm looking for pics on a black car of what this looks like? Anyone?
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
alex33x

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
A custom install is where they take bulk film and wrap the front with it. They then gut the excess off with a razor blade... and a lot of times cut your paint up while doing it. Once the paint is cut you will not know it until the film is removed... to me that is vandalism. I dont know for sure if that shop is good enough to do it without cutting the paint. It is El Paso and I HIGHLY doubt it.

So what is wrong with kits??? I have a feeling that this shop is telling you precut kits are not any good... and they are completely wrong. The companies making patterns these days are excellent at what they do. Proform makes patterns that roll almost every edge making it really hard to see. I think a lot of the bulk installers do not like using kits because it drives up their cost significantly. They have to buy a plotter ($5000) and all of the software that goes along with it... and will have to pay for cutting patterns. So a lot of companies try to boost their profits buy bulk installing. I will put one of my kit instals up against their custom jobs any day.

They are also not standing behind the film for 5 years. 3M is. So dont think that its a better deal because they are not standing behind their product. The two films I use have a lifetime warranty... not just 5 years. So if something happens (yellows, peels, cracks, fades...) for as long as you VentureShild and ClearMask warranty it and provide the material.

I understand htat you do not have many options but bevery careful when it comes to custom installs. The majority of the time installers will cut your paint up and they will always say "we didnt do that... we never cut the paint up". I have pulled many of these so called custom installs of only to find the clients paint damaged. To me that is just as bad or worse than getting rock chips... and falls into the same category as getting your car keyed.
So you sell kits? If you do can shoot me some prices and would you stand behind the warranty even if I get it installed in El Paso?? I want to do the whole front end and part of the hood like most bras cover.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
i quite enjoy the proform kits. and he draws the high end stuff i do.
he needs to add the whole camaro hood yet, but xpel has that one.
hot ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
SWAG1LE

Drives: 2013 1LE
Alex,

Hey there! What did you end up doing? I was searching for a good clear bra option. I have sooo resurrected this thread! I live in ELP by the way.
SWAG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote