Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Mustang GT 5.0 vs Camaro SS 1LE

Ok so a couple of you guys asked me to give a little comparrison between the two cars as I recently traded the Mustang for the Camaro. I am going to keep this sweet short and to the point.

Price: The Mustang is cheaper. I got my 5.0 for 35ish which included everything but the glass roof/brembos/navigation. I got my 1le for 37ish and it is the 1ss with npp/rs. If you were to option out both cars equally the Mustang will always be cheaper.

Gas Mileage: The Mustang gets better gas mileage. Not much more to say here.

Straight Line Power: I do not have any data to back up the 1le performance as of yet however the Mustang "felt" quicker and snappier. However feelings should be left for your wife or girfriend . Once I get some track data I will report back. My Mustang went 12.64 @ 111.9 bone stock, full weight.

Handeling: There is no contest here. The 1le destorys the Mustang in every regard here. The tires are better, the suspension actually controls the car. The mustang was "floaty" and liked to wander around and step out at low limits. It was fun, but at the same time you always went into a turn with a quick turn in and then in the back of my head I wondered what will happen next. There was no point and shoot in that car, it was more like point and pray/react. The ride for casual Sunday strolls was better in the Mustang. It was softer, the 1le is a very stiff/solid car compared to 5.0.

Driveline: Overall I am giving the edge to the 1le here. Alhough the Mustang feels quicker, it also clunked, popped, wheel hopped, and did some wierd things. The 1le has more initial tq and feels smoother through the revs (this might be why it feels slower). There is no slop, no hop, no wierd clunks or pops. However the 1le has clutch chatter like crazy compared to the Mustang. When I first got the car and pulled out I pulled over and checked the oil because I though it was low based on chattering/spinning noises I heard at low rpm. It all seems to go away around 3k, however thats when the exhaust takes over and the car sounds glorious. The clutch on the Mustang felt better as well. The 1le clutch is VERY soft and catches very HIGH. The transmission in the Mustang felt smoother, with shorter/closer throws. My 1le tranny is stiffer and you can feel each gear going through the syncro. In the mustang the gears just poped/fell in with no effort.

Fit and Finish: I don't think there could be a clear winner here as it is based on opinoin. Both cars have plastic, both cars are American. The body panels line up, the interiors are both "Eh' imo. If I had to pic a winner here I would lean towards the camaro only because of the MyLink screen. If MyLink wasnt avaiable I would lean towards the Mustang.

Looks: Once again, personally opinion, but the 1le loooks more agressive, some people like that others don't want the added attention. I am 30 years old and the kid inside me giggles everytime I drive it and look at it. However I am glad this is not my daily driver as I would never take this car to a business meeting or any type of "serious" gathering. It is a little to "hey look at me" if you know what I mean.

Overall: If you are looking for a daily driver, the mustang is the way to go. If you are looking for a straight line car, the mustang is the way to go, but be prepared to spend some serious money after your basic bolt ons. I ended up going mid 11s at 120-122 with very basic bolts on the factory tires. If you are looking for a weekend toy, road course/autox type car, the 1le is by far the better choice.

For me this car will not be a daily driver, it will be a weekend car with occasional track use. Not real serious plans for it, just going to enjoy it and modify later down the road.
Novie LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Great review! My clutch doesn't chatter though. Do you mean the car "bucks" when you release the clutch in 1st at real low rpm?
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Novie LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Great review! My clutch doesn't chatter though. Do you mean the car "bucks" when you release the clutch in 1st at real low rpm?
No I don't get any bucking. It just rattles/chatters at low rpm in any gear.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP great review! One comment though, the 1LE compares with the Boss 302 at the road track, so in that comparison the 1LE is a steal.

So far, very few stock 1LEs have visited the 12s. Most buy it mainly for road track prowess. I want to do both. If you want to beat a well driven 5.0 at the drags with a 1LE your best bet is to hope the driver falls asleep at the lights, you lunch strong (hard with the Goodyears), and that you hit third cleanly. But unfortunately you will need fourth too. I found leaving after at the second yellow light is a big help.

It sounds like you can drive, so let us know how you do at the track if you go.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Novie LE

You heard it here first, that 12.9 will not be the top spot for a 1le after this weekend (assuming no rain)

Regarding what cars compare to what. I wouldnt compare a 1LE to the boss as IMO the 1LE is not "special" enough despite being faster. If the 1le camaro offered a different engine then yea, it would be a direct comparrison, however it is the regular 6.2.

IMO:
5.0 (whatever trim) vs Camaro (whatever trim)
Boss 302 vs Upcoming z28 (both NA, both "special")
Zl1 vs GT500

But that is just me.

Last edited by Novie LE; 10-14-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
COPO vs super snake

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Novie LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieguy13 View Post
COPO vs super snake
I think it's Cobra actually, but I don't follow cars I can't afford
Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
You heard it here first, that 12.9 will not be the top spot for a 1le after this weekend (assuming no rain)

Regarding what cars compare to what. I wouldnt compare a 1LE to the boss as IMO the 1LE is not "special" enough despite being faster. If the 1le camaro offered a different engine then yea, it would be a direct comparrison, however it is the regular 6.2.

IMO:
5.0 (whatever trim) vs Camaro (whatever trim)
Boss 302 vs Upcoming z28 (both NA, both "special")
Zl1 vs GT500

But that is just me.
We will have to disagree about the Z28. Ford has no answer for that. People get hung up by badges. The 1LE is pretty serious and pretty special (many changes over the SS) and was created to compete with the Boss, even though its just an option on the SS. I like that it has stealth collector visibility, to me it's even more serious than the Boss. The only Comparable Mustang GT is with the Track Pack/Brembo option, but it's not much of a competitor. What holds the 1LE back is weight. The Z28 is much more serious than either of the Bosses and will be priced above the GT500 (most likely).

Looking forward to your timeslips. Hope you have good air and prep. You will need it to beat 12.9. I was faster in my '11 SS than in my 1LE. But liking the 1LE even more. All out speed is not that important to me, it is a ever ending and expensive quest. My goal is to get the most out of what I drive. I have just as much fun at the track as anyone else, even in my "slow" 1LE.

Last edited by Fraxum; 10-14-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Novie LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
We will have to disagree about the Z28. Ford has no answer for that. People get hung up by badges. The 1LE is pretty serious and pretty special (many changes over the SS) and was created to compete with the Boss, even though its just an option on the SS. I like that it has stealth collector visibility, to me it's even more serious than the Boss. The only Comparable Mustang GT is with the Track Pack/Brembo option, but it's not much of a competitor. What holds the 1LE back is weight. The Z28 is much more serious than either of the Bosses and will be priced above the GT500 (most likely).

Looking forward to your timeslips. Hope you have good air and prep. You will need it to beat 12.9. I was faster in my '11 SS than in my 1LE. But liking the 1LE even more.

Everyone will have different opinions on what car goes against what. Like i said despite the 1le actually being faster then the boss around a track has very little to do anything imo. The boss engine is on a different level, it is geared for abuse, forged, high flowing heads, you name it, that motor is built to take a pounding. It make a little more power than the 5.0 as well. The 1le is chevys version of the track pack, the fact that it destroyed a track pack 5.0 naturally makes everyone compare it to the boss. But like i said, different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
aggieguy13

Quote:
I think it's Cobra actually, but I don't follow cars I can't afford
No it's Super Snake vs COPO Camaro. There both crazy mod factory cars.

http://youtu.be/gkqlo0MozMM
Stock COPO delivered from factory

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Fraxum

Quote:
I think it's Cobra Jet actually, but I don't follow cars I can't afford
http://www.fordracingparts.com/cobrajet/

Fixed it for you. I love seeing Cobra Jets and COPOs at the track.

Looks like for 2013 Cobra Jet > COPO at least stock. No more FI COPOs?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
aggieguy13

http://youtu.be/PvZ9PSOJ3MU

Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
aggieguy13

Not saying there isnt a cobra jet as well, because it is same class too. I was just using super snake as an example

Old 10-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
Crand

Drives: away the ladies :(
Send a message via AIM to Crand
I rented a 2013 5.0 for a week before I bought my 1LE and the gas mileage was worse while I had it. The Mustang got 17mpg and the rental Camaro got 23. My 1LE gets 21.5mpg. I used the same gas station when I had them so it was the same octane and vendor. Both of the rentals had less than 100 miles on them when I took them so they weren't bashed to hell and back. I don't know if there's variation between cars that severe but I always assumed that the Mustang would have to get worse mileage to get the same power as the Camaro out of less motor. Any other 5.0 owners want to chime in?

The one thing about the Mustang I noticed is that I felt more comfortable letting it go right away. The first turn I took in it was with the pedal almost to the floor. The car just felt natural when I got in it whereas the Camaro took a couple of weeks before I could do any spirited driving without anxiety.

The Mustang had way more plastic in it than the Camaro but the lighting system with all its fancy colors sure did offset that. I had it around Christmas time and made all the lights in the car red/green. When I returned it to Hertz, I set everything in the car to bright pink for the next guy! There's no way to buy a car that isn't made out of plastic without mortgaging your house but at least the Camaro has leather on the dashboard. Both of them had good audio systems and both were able to play music through my phone via Bluetooth.

As far as I'm concerned, Mustang and Camaro are both great choices if you want to go fast and look mean. The one thing they both need is push-to-start and proximity remotes. I can't believe this is 2014 and that isn't a standard feature.
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote