Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
ZL153

Drives: 2013 ZL1
2013 ZL1 - First Mods???

Looking at doing the Roto Fab CAI, VMAX Ported TB, and a SW Retro cat back exhaust. Read a ton on the Roto Fab and VMAX. SW was recommended as weight savings is a priority as well.

Assuming this will not require a tune as that is a concern for me. Anybody have this specific setup? What gains did you see at the dyno? Any other suggestions for HP that will not require a tune or cause the engine to run too lean?
ZL153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I don't share the same opinions as a lot of people so I'll throw mine out there. I think you will do great with the rotofab. That should be your first mod. If it was me I would skip the throttle body, aftermarket throttle bodies have caused me problems at racing venues and for the tiny amount of gain you may get I do not think it is worth the risk. If you change the catback exhaust you will see very little gain for a lot of expense. The stock exhaust system is pretty well tuned to this motor. If you want to cut weight there are cheaper things to do than replace a good exhaust system.

I say this regularly on this site. But if you don't want to change the tune you are really saying you don't want to significantly change the power. The tune is set for the stock power the car makes and it can make a lot more power if you run the supercharger faster (supercharger was designed to run much faster) but you will have to change the tune to give it more gas.

There is at least 100 horsepower just waiting there with a pulley change, set of injectors and a tune. You can dance around all the little things like throttle bodies and exhaust and spend a lot more money and maybe gain 30 horsepower or you can change the tune and get some real power. Just my opinion.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:56 AM   #3
HawkGirl
COTW 11/18/2013

Drives: 750-HP ZL1 Carbon
Roto Fab....I had it ordered and shipped before I even got the Z!!!!

Definitely get a tune, world of difference
Old 06-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
ZL153

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I guess I should have said I don't want to get a tune until I am certain I am not going to have any issues with the engine. So maybe in the 4,000 - 7,000 mile range I will go down that road but this is a weekend car for me so that will be a year or so from now. I want to maximize the HP without voiding my warranty and then once I am comfortale with proceed with the pulley/tune etc.
ZL153 is offline   Reply With Quote