Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
BUMBLEB
IN GOD WE THRUST

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS RS M6 TVS2300 2015 Z06
New Install Oil Catch From Elite Engineering

Wow just received my oil catch can from elite engineering,easy install and I have to tell you an extremely well made product,the catch can is made of solid billet aluminum and the oil separator portion in the top cover is made extremely well,I have been looking at allot of these units and allot of them look very cheap. (Nothing cheap on my ride LOL).I purchased the catch can from Elite Engineering talk to Steve he was very helpful and very knowledgeable,They do allot of things with the corvette guys and they are starting to do allot with us camaro guys & gals also .Here is their web site http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
silverfox

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I received mine yesterday and am very impressed with the quality. havn't installed yet as im going to do a roller rocker install from mast at the same time but i noticed that the little flange that fits against the can holes do not line up. NP a die grinder is an easy fix.
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
adub4185

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2023 Camaro ZLE
Send a message via AIM to adub4185
Glad to see you guys are enjoying the Elite catch can. It really is a nice, quality piece and the guys from Elite are all outstanding to work with.
adub4185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
BUMBLEB
IN GOD WE THRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
I received mine yesterday and am very impressed with the quality. havn't installed yet as im going to do a roller rocker install from mast at the same time but i noticed that the little flange that fits against the can holes do not line up. NP a die grinder is an easy fix.
I didn't have any problems with mine,possibly just a machine flaw,I checked mine this Am after a 25 mile drive home last night and their is a little oil in the bottom of the can,Definitely glad I purchased it,NO MORE OIL IN THE INTAKE !!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
will this work on the L99?
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
is there a drain in the bottom of the can? or do you have to remove it to empty?
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
adub4185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
will this work on the L99?
Yes, you need just a bit more tubing to get it to work. Tell them you have an automatic when you are ordering and they will give you more tubing. I will be updating the install instructions once I get some pictures of the outlet on the L99, but that is the only thing that changes during the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin the BlueSS View Post
is there a drain in the bottom of the can? or do you have to remove it to empty?
You empty the can by unscrewing the whole bottom of it. It is very easy to do and makes it very easy to drain. Search for my thread on it, there are pictures of the can taken apart.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
wow checked the website $179 it looks like a great catch can but that is even more that the rev extreme! got a group buy planned or any discounts?
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
adub4185

Quote:
wow checked the website $179 it looks like a great catch can but that is even more that the rev extreme! got a group buy planned or any discounts?
It's $160 shipped in this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=catch

I dont know how much the RevXtreme can is, but I can assure you that you wont be disapointed with the elite can.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
BUMBLEB
IN GOD WE THRUST

Quote:
This unit is much nicer the little sucker weights allot,and built very solid you wont be disappointed.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLEB View Post
This unit is much nicer the little sucker weights allot,and built very solid you wont be disappointed.
What advantage does this $160 CC have over the $110 Xtreme? The Elite is smaller and doesn't have a drain on the bottom. Seems like you're paying more for less. Seeing that it was intitially made for Vettes, maybe it has the Vette tax included.

If you just like the look of it over the Xtreme, that's fine, but I don't see how it's better.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
BUMBLEB
IN GOD WE THRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
What advantage does this $160 CC have over the $110 Xtreme? The Elite is smaller and doesn't have a drain on the bottom. Seems like you're paying more for less. Seeing that it was intitially made for Vettes, maybe it has the Vette tax included.

If you just like the look of it over the Xtreme, that's fine, but I don't see how it's better.
the extreme is 139.95 on the web site,Yes the elite is smaller and you unscrew the base to get access to the top oil baffle screen if you ever need to clean it,Look they both do the same job I like the elite because of the size and the way it mounts,Also it is made in USA,Ive seen some of the Chinese crap out their and they are cheaply made,Its my personal preference.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
adub4185

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post

I don't know if it is any better per say, but it seems to get the job done for me just fine. I designed the bracket that holds it and I can guarantee that you won't have any of the fitment issues that is seems a lot of the RevXtreme guys have had. I love the fact that I can just unscrew the bottom and dump it out, no tubing or hoses to run. I also like the fact that I can remove the mesh filter element and I can clean it. I don't want to bag on the Xtreme product, but in my opinion the machining on the Elite can is second to none and the fit is perfect. I also know that the Elite guys are great to deal with and they will ship the cans out immediately. I think in this case you really do get what you pay for and you would be very happy with the Elite can.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #14
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Very familiar w/the Elite and the several others that are excact copies or made by the same. Excellent looking but if you read the testing results that are posted you will see where that small type falls short. Again, even a beer can w/two fittings in will catch oil....the issue is how much gets through. 3 shortfalls w the small cans:

1. Size. There is no possible way to slow the flow of the vapors enough with the small capacity cans to allow the oil to fall out of suspension. The only way is volume....and 1/2 gal is even better than the RevX 1 qt.

2. Design. The can you love has filter media inside that works very well to begin with, but soon saturates and allows droplets to be pulled off do to the high velocity of the vapors pulled through the can. You can clean it every few days and reduce the amount that gets through....but that is a hassel many would not put up with.

3. The distance from the inlet & outlet is only a few inches so it allows some residule to get through just in that alone.

Now does it work? Heck yes....and is far better than no can as stated so many times before. Is it a good buillt product? Again, excellent piece in looks and precision. And the small size for those that want looks over overall function it is a great choice. In fact, the Mike Norris/CCA can is the same basic design but addresses two of the issues w/the Elite by being nearly twice the capacity and the distance from the inlet to the outlet being further.

The real test instead of arguing is to simply go to an autoparts store and buy a 3/8" clear inline fuel filter with the white filter mesh. Put it inline between the vacuum nipple on the intake & the catchcan. You will see EVERY ebay can, Home Depot air compressor trap, or smaller can will show oil saturating the filter from the oil that is NOT trapped in the smaller cans. ONLY the Saiku Micchi & the RevX cans trap all, or nearly all unless you go to an expensive industral unit (1/2-1 gal capacity).

So bottom line is if you want the most effective, the RevX & Saiku Micchi beats all (have tested time & again as stated above) and the RevX has NO filter media to allow saturation, and is the only one with an integrated PCV/checkvale to insure the proper flow & no back-flow or reversion during WOT running. This is not a slam on any other can (except the HD plastic air cond piece and the empty Ebay cans) jusr facts that you yourself can prove. You don't have to take my word for it, try it yourself & see.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote