Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
phatbastard

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ss 1LE
Stock 1LE shifter rattle driving me nuts, Help!

Have had the car since February, lots of fun. The rattle from the stock shifter is rather bad at low to mid rpms under any load. Installed the Dynapad kit from MGW on the stock shifter (inside the car). This reduced the other noises but just made the shifter rattle more noticeable.

I can reduce the rattle by holding slight pressure on the shifter, but each gear requires a different direction and pressure to reduce it.

Is it the shifter pin slop or the rod that is part of the transmission that tends to make the rattle noise? Can I shim the shifter pin and clips to reduce this? Do not want to use the sticky Dynamat in the AZ heat and gum up the link rod and shifter.

Any way to reduce the noise / rattle?
phatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
No rattles here. Run it by your dealer service dept for warranty repair.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
+1
Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
+2
Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Old 06-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Yeah that's not normal use your warranty.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
phatbastard

Had the car up on ramps to look for a fix for this. The only good news is that the stock shifter is a solid unit, no slops in the shifter, link rod or pins.

The bad news is the slop is in the transmission. The hole on the transmission shift shaft is larger than the pin on the shifter link rod.

No, easy fix for this and replacing the shifter assembly will not help. This is a hard area to get to and the only fix would be to remove the entire shifter, machine an oversize pin and enlarge the link rod holes to accept the larger pin. Have to live with it for now.

I'm not one of the people that like dealers and will take my car in ONLY as a last resort.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbastard View Post
Had the car up on ramps to look for a fix for this. The only good news is that the stock shifter is a solid unit, no slops in the shifter, link rod or pins.

The bad news is the slop is in the transmission. The hole on the transmission shift shaft is larger than the pin on the shifter link rod.

No, easy fix for this and replacing the shifter assembly will not help. This is a hard area to get to and the only fix would be to remove the entire shifter, machine an oversize pin and enlarge the link rod holes to accept the larger pin. Have to live with it for now.

I'm not one of the people that like dealers and will take my car in ONLY as a last resort.
It can sometimes be hard to find a good dealership. And there are many people that feel like you do. The only downside is when you work on things yourself, and then can't fix it and decide to take it in, the warranty claim can be denied because you were working on it.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Do you have rattling mechanical clunking? Mine clanks and clunks like mad at low speed (in and out of the driveway), but if I shift "right" it doesn't happen.

I used to gripe about this when I first got my 1LE but have no learnt to drive it a bit differently. Not that this should be the fix but it has worked for me.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
phatbastard

Have the clutch chatter noise when I pull in the sloped drive also, that is normal. The shifter rattle is not as bad as some of the people with after market shifters have sometimes. I went back under today and used some 1/2" ID heater hose split down the length to cover the shifter link rod. This helped take the edge off the rattle noise, not that bad now. Everything looks solid and functions well so, just have to go with it.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
blapp

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbastard View Post
Have had the car since February, lots of fun. The rattle from the stock shifter is rather bad at low to mid rpms under any load. Installed the Dynapad kit from MGW on the stock shifter (inside the car). This reduced the other noises but just made the shifter rattle more noticeable.

I can reduce the rattle by holding slight pressure on the shifter, but each gear requires a different direction and pressure to reduce it.

Is it the shifter pin slop or the rod that is part of the transmission that tends to make the rattle noise? Can I shim the shifter pin and clips to reduce this? Do not want to use the sticky Dynamat in the AZ heat and gum up the link rod and shifter.

Any way to reduce the noise / rattle?
I had a 2013 2ss convertible about 3 months ago with the same symptoms. The rattle/noise would occur when under load and was much worse at higher rpm's. I took it to the dealership to have it diagnosed and resolved. There were actually a handful of camaro's (4 out of 12) at the dealership with the same symptoms - a mix of v8 and v6's. The dealership worked with GM engineers to try and figure out the cause. They said the issue was caused by "stacked tolerances" in the shifter linkage. They attempted mutlple fixes but could not resolve it. In the end I had to get rid of the car becuase I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I believe they are still working on a fix. Although they were not able to resolve it for me, I have to say GM and the dealership really stepped up on this one...unfortunately I just couldn't wait any longer.
blapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #12
makf22rap

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Spring Ed
Annoying shifter rattle

I am having a similar problem. 2014 2SS Spring Edition. Any load, any gear, I get this annoying rattle that doesn’t even go away with pressure on the shifter. I’ve taken it to several dealerships and get a different answer every time. One says it could be internal, one says possibly shifter bushings, and the other said it’s normal. I have it at a different Chevy dealership now because my warranty is only valid for 1 more week.

Funny how problems develop when the power train warranty is almost up.
Attached Images

makf22rap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:42 PM   #13
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
Shifter noise/rattle/vibration here as well. I bought my 1SS in January 2019 with 49k miles. For some reason it’s only heard in third gear and only slightly in second gear when under light load between 2 - 3500 rpms. More prevalent with the a/c on (more load?). It’s like a strange bearing noise/rattle coming up from the shifter.

My local dealership’s in-house transmission expert recently had the car for almost 2 weeks. Ultimately returning it unresolved. The report says: “Drained and filter trans fluid and found no debris in trans fluid.” “Changed fluid, retorqued mounts to specs. Clean lube bushings on shifter assembly.” Tech told service advisor “it’s a manual so some feedback is normal.”
My car was completely stock with paper air filter. Still has the skip shift. Local Chevy performance shop drove it and says he’s driven these trans with 800hp and hasn’t heard any do that and doesn’t sound like it will get better. Dealer finds nothing? The tech’s work maybe quieted it 15% but for how long?

My Powertrain warranty expire this July 8, 2019. I might go to the next dealer 1 town over for a second attempt.
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:50 PM   #14
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
See this post about better bushings for stock shifter
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464969

https://pegasuscnc.com/2010_2015_cam...ter_mount.html
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote