Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #1
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Here we go again...

I will be taking my car back to the dealer on Tuesday. This will be the 4th trip since March. After 3 visits, they finally found a bad seam in the water bag (2011 2SS/RS). When they replaced the bag ALL original problems returned. I now have water coming in from the front on both sides. I have water in the rear passenger floor board, and I have more water leaking in to the trunk. There is the spot on the front of the trunk that has yet to be fixed. I am so frustrated with this car at this moment. I have had it for 28 months, and when the next shop visit gets here, it would have been in the shop for 6 of those 28. I even went a drove a 2015 Mustang GT to see how it compares in case I decide to drop Chevy for a bit.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:30 AM   #2
DaveA

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS vert
Very sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a 2013 SS vert and while I had one minor problem with the top, it only took two quick trips to get it fixed. However, had I know of all the issues with the 2011 and 2012 tops, I never would have purchased the vert. I usually do extensive research before I buy something but I simply researched the Camaro itself, not convertibles. I was too excited to get a vert to assume I could have problems.

I think I mentioned it in another thread but my 2013 SS will be my last Chevrolet vehicle and it's due specifically to their poor handling of these convertibles. No Corvette, no Volt, and nothing else for me.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
Algeron

My dream car is a Vette, but I have to wait about 8-10 more years to get one (little girls = need for back seat). Depending on how this is handled will determine what I do next. I am just beyond frustrated at this point.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
I would lemon law it at this point...

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Algeron,
just curious to see what your take was on the 2015 mustang.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by '11 cyber grey vert View Post
Algeron,
just curious to see what your take was on the 2015 mustang.
Here are some basic notes. If I had to, I could drive one for a couple years. I was hoping to hold out until I could see a Gen 6 vert, but if GM can't fix my car, I am not going to drive a leaking car for the next 2 years.

I drove a GT automatic vert. It did feel lighter than my Camaro, and the handling is improved. (Background - I worked IT for a local Ford dealer for a year and bought my then wife a 2005 GT).

It had a better sound (due to no AFM - I own a L99). However, I do think the Camaro is a more fun car to drive. I did not have a chance to get it out on the highway, so I cannot compare that behavior, but it did good on the winding back road we were on.

I only had one chance to punch it, and that was from a rolling 20 mph. It had a nice jump, but it felt like there was a slight delay in throttle response.

The trunk is better set up for a vert. There is no shade, and the top does not interfere with the open trunk space when down.

Dash was improved over my 11, but I saw a lot of the Gen 6 features in the Mustang (AC seats, sport/track/snow modes, etc.)

No HUD
Old 05-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
I would lemon law it at this point...
That is part of my current argument. She goes back to the dealer on Tuesday. So far, I have not heard back from GM since my last email.

This leak has been a constant issue. Weatherstripping has been replaced 4 times so far.

This was 30 min after the rain stopped.

This was 24 hours later

Old 05-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Algeron, sorry to hear of your continued issues. At this point if I were you I'd be so done. Can't blame you for not wanting another Chevy or Gm for that matter.

Regarding your take on the Mustang, not surprised it wasn't over the top. I rented one a few years back, around 2008, and although the experience was great at first, the newness quickly wore off during the week. Not so with my Camaro 4 years later, but it could be becasue I own it and forked over my hard earned $$$ for it.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Algeron,
thank you for the review of the mustang. If my vert continues to be problematic, I will look at the mustang also.
After the experience I have had with my vert, I am not sure I would even consider a 6th gen convertible without some written extended warranties from GM
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #10
Algeron

I will have more info once I hear back from GM and that the car back to the dealer. Just comes down to:

A-am I 100% done due to this experience and want to go else where? After all, I still own a 3rd and 4th gen.

Or

B- do I wan to try again on a 15?

To me the Camaro is the more fun car, but I can't go through this again.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
Algeron

I have to add that the Camaro back seat is better for my girls than the Mustang.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Algeron, I am sorry to hear all of your frustrations, however there is hope for you just yet. I have heard of very few top issues with the 13s and newer verts, mine included, it has been a problem free car even when it comes to the top.
I put this top through hell, I am constantly putting it up and down when I am out, because I make many stops when I go out and hate the thought of leaving the top down when I go into an establishment and cannot visually keep an eye ball on my car.
This car stays out in a carport and constantly serves as a hangout for my cats, they are constantly gettin on top of my car and hanging out on it, ya it gets lots of cat hair on it, and even gets lots of desert dust on it, but it is holding out through thick and thin, I even read all the nightmare stories of the top issues before I bought my car. Nicest car I ever had....Chevy has addressed any and all issues I have ever had with the car, even though some of them were kinda my fault, these folks never even argued with me, they even took my word that my HUD was going out intermittently and went ahead and just changed it out for a whole new unit....no questions asked.
Maybe your issues lie with that certain dealership......I dunno...
hopefully you can get it swapped for a newer Camaro(preferably 2013 or newer)convertible.
Ya the Mustangs may be nice cars, but to me they are horrible looking cars, one of the main factors of me getting this left over 2013 Camaro is its looks, I just love the looks of the original 5th gen styling.
PS: You couldn't PAY me to take a Ford product, but that is because I pretty much went through the same crap with them that you are going through with Chevy, and all this went down in the eighties, the last Ford I ever owned was last seen fully engulfed in flames at the side of the road by my exwife, whome at the time really needed to rely on that car.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #13
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
It will be hard but just look at coupes next time. The vert is a different experience though but if it is causing that many problems just stick with a hard top.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #14
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
It will be hard but just look at coupes next time. The vert is a different experience though but if it is causing that many problems just stick with a hard top.
Easier said than done.......

I myself have always wanted a Vert, finally after all these years I now have one........cant go back to a hardtop...