Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Dont understand some of the options

Ok the new Camaro is great, and I my order for a 1SS/RS is going in tomorrow and dealer said by July it should be here, so I dont know what these 10 month waits are all about.

But GM's options in my opinion are cool but a the same time do not make whole lot of sense, an if anybody sits down and thinks about it probably wont get them. I have my beef with the ones below, tell me what you think.

Leather seats- 4K more, ok so what. Im not a big fan of leather to begin with but, they are heated leather seats nice option, but who is going to be driving this car in the winter? They were better off not having heated seats in the base option but maybe making it another option. If this is the case they probably could have cut their option price in half, and sold more.

Convience package- You get the rear view mirror, and heated side mirriors. Again stupid option when am I going to be needed heated mirriors, nobody is going to drive the SS at least in the rain let alone the winter. And rear view mirror being auto dimmed well for those getting tinted windows, this becomes worthless. Again stupid option to waste money on.

RS- I am getting it yes, pretty much for the badge and headlights, but beyond that what do you get for 1200 bucks??

21in rims- Now I cant figure this one out, are they the black rims? But either way my car comes with 20" why would I pay 4k more for a inch bigger tire, i dont see a lot of people buying these. Now I can see if they went for another 500 or something, another thing is good luck finding a tire for a 21inch rim.

Now dont get me wrong I think some of the options are cool like the stripes and hood and they are descent priced. But I imagine some people will get some of the option above just to get them and without much thought, which i guess each to his own. But when a lot of people buy cars they add the function with the looks. I just think GM made a poor choice on some of their options.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
Ok the new Camaro is great, and I my order for a 1SS/RS is going in tomorrow and dealer said by July it should be here, so I dont know what these 10 month waits are all about.

But GM's options in my opinion are cool but a the same time do not make whole lot of sense, an if anybody sits down and thinks about it probably wont get them. I have my beef with the ones below, tell me what you think.

Leather seats- 4K more, ok so what. Im not a big fan of leather to begin with but, they are heated leather seats nice option, but who is going to be driving this car in the winter? They were better off not having heated seats in the base option but maybe making it another option. If this is the case they probably could have cut their option price in half, and sold more.

Convience package- You get the rear view mirror, and heated side mirriors. Again stupid option when am I going to be needed heated mirriors, nobody is going to drive the SS at least in the rain let alone the winter. And rear view mirror being auto dimmed well for those getting tinted windows, this becomes worthless. Again stupid option to waste money on.

RS- I am getting it yes, pretty much for the badge and headlights, but beyond that what do you get for 1200 bucks??

21in rims- Now I cant figure this one out, are they the black rims? But either way my car comes with 20" why would I pay 4k more for a inch bigger tire, i dont see a lot of people buying these. Now I can see if they went for another 500 or something, another thing is good luck finding a tire for a 21inch rim.

Now dont get me wrong I think some of the options are cool like the stripes and hood and they are descent priced. But I imagine some people will get some of the option above just to get them and without much thought, which i guess each to his own. But when a lot of people buy cars they add the function with the looks. I just think GM made a poor choice on some of their options.
We live in Texas and the winters are not harsh but heated seats are very nice on a cold day. This car will also be a daily driver rain or shine. The 2SS I have on order comes with everything we wanted inside the car. I opted not to spend $1200 on HID lights as I would need to have spent another $500 to ger rid of the RS wheels for the polished wheels. Well over $1600 for badge and headlights in my opinion were not worth it.
Now if you don't plan on driving your car in the winter at all I can see your point of view. I am spoiled with leather in my last few vehicles and the heated seats I use 4-5 weeks a year. I don't think you can say stupid option to spend money on because you are assuming everyone with an SS is going to use it the same way you will.
My wife has a 1997 Z28 in absolutley wonderful condition. It has 103000 miles on it and she gets compliments on it all the time about the condition of it. It has been through everything Houston throws at a car and is still in that kind of condition.
I did not pay attention to where you are from and you proabably have a valid reason to not drive it in the winter if you live up north.
Sorry I am not flaming you if it came off that way. Just giving you a different perspective on things. I am sure we will both take very good care of our Camaros and enjoy the heck out of them. Can't wait to get mine (hers actually).
redjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
so why not get a 1SS/RS?
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
nards444

I guess you a make a point it depends on location. But i guess Gm is figuring some people will get it and some wont, but for people up north a ss in the winter would be impossible and honestly dangerous.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Quote:
I guess you a make a point it depends on location. But i guess Gm is figuring some people will get it and some wont, but for people up north a ss in the winter would be impossible and honestly dangerous.
I completely understand your point of view. I too would not want to drive a Camaro in those types of weather situations. Good luck with your purchase.
redjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
to the OP. i dont understand your arguments at all. you totally dismiss all of the logical actually functional options and then you get the one option that does nothing but increases the looks of the car.

if you are going from a 1LT to a 2LT or a 1SS to a 2SS you get the better sound system, the leather seats (heated), the Connectivity package, ambient lighting, im sure im forgetting something. but all of these things have their usefulness. better sound system thats a given, leather seats a bunch of people like them, the C&C package gives the leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter along with bluetooth and the USB port.. etc etc.

Im not sure how you can really say some of the options arent useful. But i guess thats just mean, i would rather have the options and the V6 instead of a base V8 but thats just me. :shrugs:
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
nards444

well the leather wrapped steering is stock on both SS's. And the point to having a Muscle car is speed and power not all the little gadgets in the car. And honestly nobody is going to come up to your car and be like wow it has bluetooth and heated mirrors. Granted the V6 has 300 ponies. Some people the options just dont make sense, Ill admit the RS doesnt do anything really either. So thats my whole point with the options they just dont add up. In all reality specially for people in the north this car isnt a everyday driver, thus all of these options are unessary and wont be used half of the time. But like i said a lot of people will order all this stuff just so they can say they have it. But again to each his own, but my main point is these options just dont make sense, and you would have to agree you can find one where you can say that is stupif.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
I know hes right your argument does make no sense, if you don't want heated seats, mirrors, etc then get 1SS
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
gac458

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro
Quote:

OK so like any other car, if you don't like the options don't order them. Every car comes with certain items that are desireable to some and not to others, hence the term options! If you don't like the options don't order them. Not everyone will use their cars the same way, some will use theirs as their everyday car. Some drive them on weekends only. Complaining about car options you don't like is like complaining about the color of the car; some like silver & some like black, the only person it matters to in the end is the owner of the car.
gac458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
So is a radio a useless option? All it does is distract you from hearing the traffic around you or if the car is running bad. How about we all just drive the same car with no A/C or heat since a car is just meant to get you from point A to point B right??? I agree that the auto dimming mirror and some of that stuff is useless to some people but other people may use it more then you. And not everybody is planning on tinting the windows. I agree with you on some points but to say that some of the stuff is useless is just a matter of opinion, and those are like @$$holes, everybody has one and they all stink. LoL
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
nards444

that is my opinion. and like i said i think everybody can agree with somethings being worthless. Im not saying they are all worthless some are, I just think some of the pricing and other details of them were not thought out. anybody know why 21in rims cost so much more.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
LabRat

Drives: Wheeled Vehicles
That is why they are called "Options".

(snicker)
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
They aren't 4k more, they're in a package with a lot of other things. Who will be driving this car in the winter you ask? People who live up north and don't have the luxury of putting it away in the winter. Even so, mornings and nights can be cold in a lot of places.

Quote:
Um, and the bluetooth, USB, and steering wheel controls. When you can hook up a phone that has 10 GB of music on it to your car and also receive calls through the car's audio system...well, that's pretty awesome.

Quote:
Try finding those halo lights for cheaper. The RS package has been discussed a lot of these forums and it's a deal. A LOT of people are getting the RS package so I can't see how this was a dumb option by GM.

Quote:
I agree with you here, i think the wheel is too big for the car and costs too much. Then again, I don't care about wheels and rims a lot. I'm happy GM has the option for people who do want this wheel size.

You also forgot the ambient lighting, steering wheel leather, and audio package. Look, if you don't want the whole package, get a 1SS. Yes, there are some options that aren't needed in my opinion but if this was like a BMW where we could choose each option individually then the cost of the car would go up dramatically. By packaging things together, GM can lower production costs which lower costs on our end.

They're options for a reason...they aren't needed to get your car from point A to point B. BUt please, do not insult people who get the 2LT or 2SS because the options they are getting are pretty good and fairly priced.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

I feel you pain and your opinions are valid but heres my opinion. Everyone has different situations and taste. They grouped these options together to streamline production and increase revenue. Years ago you could pick everything you wanted and did not want but those days are gone and every manufacture does this.

Seats:
Wow another post complaining about no being able to opt for leather seats unless you pay 4 gs more. Sorry thats how I feel I'm about to shoot myself if I see anotherone.
Heated seats It can get down to the 20's usually 30's inland even here in south FLA so yes I would use them then. So would many people in the south when they drive their cars in winter.

Convinience package:
People in the southern part of the country especially California, Texas and Florida drive their camaros year round, rain or shine.
Most mornings here in south florida when I go to work 5:30 AM their is dew or moisture all over my windows and mirrors even in summer so the heated mirrors make sense for me.
I will get tints but not everyone will so autodiming will be nice for them, If I lived anywhere north of Georgia I would not even bother tinting my windows but the sun down here is Sahara type sun.

RS:
Well what you paid for the RS package is not the same as what I or others payed for them so for 200 dollars less I get the headlights the body collored roof ditch. Upgraded rims Midnight silver. Red emblems. Darker Tail lights. Just the headlights options on most other cars are about 1000 dollars and these are massive. So 1000 is about right to me, wish it was cheaper like everything else but it's fair.

21 Inch rims:
I'm not getting them think they should have been offered from the factory so they would be something like a 1000 dollar option instead of 4+ Gs but other people like them and will pay. You could always sell your takeoffs and try to get some money back. But this all goes back to streamlining the car building process.

wish you luck , thats my 2 cents worth.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote