Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Let's say your SUPERCHARGED 'Z28' is dead...

... what do you think you're going to do? Although I'm still a little fuzzy on comments I've read lately regarding the exact health of a program that was never confirmed, I'm left wondering what to do. Okay, I, along with some others, wanted a supercharged GT500-killer, but was realistic it probably wasn't going to happen (although I'm not giving up hope yet.) So, unless GM comes up with technology that actually makes more power than supercharged 6.2, I'm going to assume they'll throw in a little lumpier cam' and try to lighten the car and bring it back to the original version; that doesn't sound too bad, does it? I (personally) kinda' doubt there's going to be something like a twin turbo' 3.6 D.I. car making more power with better fuel economy so I'm sticking with the LS3 with a cam' (you're free to speculate though .) Anyhoo, what are you going to do? What do you think GM can do for Z28 (because I'm for sure it's not dead.) Are you going to get that Z28, pay more for an SS, and throw a supercharger on it? Are you just going to save a little money and throw a supercharger on an SS instead?

This thread is not meant to be a complaint laden regurgitation of some other threads with disgruntled opinions from disappointed people. I only wish to learn what the guys I share the SC boat with think about the latest developments. It's also important to keep in mind we don't know that the supercharged Z28 is dead...in fact, we never knew that the Z28 was going to be supercharged at all. Nothing has been confirmed about this model except we have a lot of people fighting for it and us

I think the idea of a more traditional (well, first generation) Z28 is a great idea. Maybe a little bigger cam (I'm not expecting much, because it has to pass smog) so maybe another 20+30 horsepower. Maybe more aluminum in the suspension. I don't really think they're going to actually start reducing content in the car (i.e. delete A/C, radio, seats, etc.) and carbon fiber fenders and such may not be out of the question but I'm not expecting them to do complete hoods and trunk lids. I'm sure it's going to be more expensive, so I expect it's going to come in around GT500 territory.

So my new idea: SS/RS with a supercharger (hopefully GM will give us options with a warranty) and some other bolt-ons from GMPP. Hopefully, we'll see TVS 1900 and 2300 opotions from them with CARB exemptions (hey, Ford can do it for their GT500s .) If a G8 GT is putting down 450 RWHP with only a catback in addition to a Maggy', then I think I could get closer to 500 at the tires with a catback. Maybe get some suspension goodies and look to see what the brake market has in terms of bigger rotors and more aggressive pads. I'd keep the body and interior pretty much OEM since I love them both already (and I'd rather spend money on going fast than looking different.)

How's about you? What are you going to do given these circumstances?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
you know my answer. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
I'm probably gonna go on a GT500 ... that's sad, but I give one year to GM to make a real supercharged Z28. If they don't, I'll go on a GT500, OR an old mach1 or camaro

But I still can't imagine GM being ok with having their butts kicked by Ford and their GT500
Old 09-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
seattlecamaroboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
What am I going to do? Hmmm Hmmmm Be happy with 420 horses and 0 to 60 in the mid 4's? Yes, that's it. Really, how much power do you need? And if you need more, bolt on a supercharger. Enough said.
seattlecamaroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
I'm probably gonna go on a GT500 ... that's sad, but I give one year to GM to make a real supercharged Z28. If they don't, I'll go on a GT500, OR an old mach1 or camaro

But I still can't imagine GM being ok with having their butts kicked by Ford and their GT500
the gt500 is a joke. with a single cam swap and exhaust the ls3 will keep up if not surpass the joke of a gt500. stock. now if you're coming up on a pully swapped gt500 kiss your arse goodbye.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecamaroboy View Post
What am I going to do? Hmmm Hmmmm Be happy with 420 horses and 0 to 60 in the mid 4's? Yes, that's it. Really, how much power do you need? And if you need more, bolt on a supercharger. Enough said.
like I said before not everyone wants an SS. to some people the SS moniker is a watered down trim level. it also doesn't mean it's a camaro. and also not everyone wanting a Z28 wanted 550+ hp.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
seattlecamaroboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
like I said before not everyone wants an SS. to some people the SS moniker is a watered down trim level. it also doesn't mean it's a camaro. and also not everyone wanting a Z28 wanted 550+ hp.
Oh give me a break. What kind of girly man thinks about the label on the car? How about those people man-up and realize it's the 6.2 liter V8 in their car.
seattlecamaroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Oh give me a break. What kind of girly man thinks about the label on the car? How about those people man-up and realize it's the 6.2 liter V8 in their car.
how about you grow up and respect other peoples opinions.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
you know my answer. . .
Spill it; that's why I posted this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post

WHY?! Was Camaro only good because there was a chance some time ago that there was going to be a GT-fighter? Shoot, for all we know, there won't be another version of the 500; I mean if GM can't do it, how's Mopar or Ford going to? It won't be as complete a package as a 500, but you could come up with something very competitive with the 500 starting with an SS and still probably save some money. You probably won't have a warranty, and it won't be as durable as much as something engineered by GM, but you just can't get carried away is all.

Like others have said: power doesn't always make a car fast

Quote:
Okay, than this thread isn't really for you; no offense. My long post was asking if you wanted a supercharged Z28, what are you going to do now. I'm glad the SS is fine for you, but some of us just want a little more. What can I say?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
Captainbob

Drives: 69 Z28, 71 vette,01 ZO6,GT500
Unfortunatly, the GT500 will still rule the drag strip.. I'll be content romping on ZO6's like I've been doing for nearly 2 yrs now. with a few mods I made my GT500 a mid 11 second car. Now running in the 10's. w' decent gas milage.. WHY can't GM use the new LSA to snap up hungry Camaro fans craving the latest GM"s best has to offer..
Sad but true!!
Hoping GM will do the right thing. Super charge the new SS.. So it will compete with the big dogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnevMoEut_E vs. ZO6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2l25Q5AHc4 10.97 run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vML-dKHCcLg dyno vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtQEdfN-CA hole shot

Last edited by Captainbob; 09-04-2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spell
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

You guys are quick; I've been trying to revise my original post, but this isn't supposed to be a beesh-fest because of the chance there isn't going to be a SC'd model. I just wanted to see what you'd do if there wasn't going to be one

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
B2E2RUN
Beer Run

Drives: '14 Sierra SLT All-Terrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Jon View Post
X2!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbob View Post
Unfortunatey, the GT500 will still rule the drag strip.. I'll be content romping on ZO6's like I've been doing for nearly 2 yrs now. with a few mods I made my GT500 a mid 11 second car. Now running in the 10's. w' decent gas milage.. WHY can't GM use the new LSA to snap up hungry Camaro fans craving the latest GM"s best has to offer..
Sad but true!!
You are THE perfect example of why I think some of us wanted an LSA Z28. I hate you j/k I'm seriously jealous that all it takes to go from like the low-to-mid-12s down to the 10s are some pretty simple mods'. CAFE is the reason but I'm eager to see how Ford and Mopar respond. Are they going to follow suit? I doubt their average is much higher, if any, than GM. It is sad though It's okay, though; we have Camaro, and that's the most important thing.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"