Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
zirotti

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Got a ticket for tint...but I was out of state

Interesting scenario here...

I live in Chicago but was driving through Iowa this morning for work (about 60 miles into Iowa). Asshole State Trooper pulls me over for window tint and tickets me and says that Iowa doesn't allow any tint. I live in Illinois and that is where my car is registered and titled.

Obviously a moving violation is one thing, but how can a state ticket you for something that may be legal in other states if you are just passing through? I talked to the state attorneys office and she said she would call me back in a few days when they have had a chance to get a copy of the sitation.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Yea thats crap... Hope you get it dropped

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
noob2ss

Drives: 112SSRS
I had this happen to a friend of mine, he ended up just going to court since he lived near the state line and the judge just threw it out
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
noob2ss

Funny thing, I was just looking around for tint threads in Maryland to see how bad the cops are about the 35% limit. I have had 20% on my truck for 7 years and never a word from any cops. But my truck wont draw police attention like the camaro.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
In the Iowa tint laws:

Enforcement Note : Iowa is spotty on enforcement but can enforce the law against out-of-state motorist such as writing a fix-it ticket.

From the Iowa State Patrol:

321.438 Windshields and windows

1. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle equipped with a windshield, side-wings, or side or rear windows which do not permit clear vision.2. A person shall not operate on the highway a motor vehicle equipped with a front windshield, a side window to the immediate right or left of the driver, or a side-wing forward of and to the left or right of the driver which is excessively dark or reflective so that it is difficult for a person outside the motor vehicle to see into the motor vehicle through the windshield, window, or sidewing. The department shall adopt rules establishing a minimum measurable standard of transparency which shall apply to violations of this subsection.3. Every motor vehicle except a motorcycle, or a vehicle included in the provisions of section 321.383 or section 321.115 shall be equipped with a windshield in accordance with section

Under Iowa Administrative Code 761-450.1(321) safety glazing materials or multiple glazed assemblies thereof intended for use at levels requisite for driving visibility in the motor vehicle shall show regular (parallel) luminous transmittance of not less than 70 percent of the light at normal incidence, both before and after irradiation.

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/ISP/infor...#tintedwindows

Making note to myself.....Iowa doesn't want my tourism $ $ $
Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
srb8

Drives: 2011 Yellow 2ss RS, auto, sunroof
maybe Iowa troopers write tinted window tickets to Illinois vehicles cause they know tints are illegal in Illinois?

Solo Mach XL, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Dyno tune by Modern Muscle, Oswego IL
369 rwhp, 389 rwtq
Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by srb8 View Post
maybe Iowa troopers write tinted window tickets to Illinois vehicles cause they know tints are illegal in Illinois?
No kidding...and here we go again

This guy may get a forgiving judge who tosses the ticket...happens all the time, and he will think he 'won' outright. You have to abide by each state's individual laws regardless which state you register a vehicle. The only exclusion is front license plates from states that do not require a plate...that is described in statute.

...The trooper was doing his job, maybe not the most lenient guy on the force, but I wouldn't go as far to say hes an asshole for doing his job...When he throws you on the ground for a simple traffic violation...he would then be an asshole...

and calling State Attnys? It is amazing what people go through for non-moving violations

....but all that means nothing to me if you don't tell us what your % was...I am just curious what Ill laws are and if you already in violation of your own...
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
No kidding...and here we go again

This guy may get a forgiving judge who tosses the ticket...happens all the time, and he will think he 'won' outright. You have to abide by each state's individual laws regardless which state you register a vehicle. The only exclusion is front license plates from states that do not require a plate...that is described in statute.

...The trooper was doing his job, maybe not the most lenient guy on the force, but I wouldn't go as far to say hes an asshole for doing his job...When he throws you on the ground for a simple traffic violation...he would then be an asshole...

and calling State Attnys? It is amazing what people go through for non-moving violations

....but all that means nothing to me if it weren't already ILLEGAL in Illinois...
+1 If you are in compliance with your state laws, they will probably just toss the ticket out because you weren't aware of the state laws. I guess when you hear back from the county attorney you will know huh?

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 09-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Same Mass police will make you peel it on the spot if it's less than 35% light flow.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
He was just doing his job. Blame the Iowa state government if you don't like the laws.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
noob2ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
... they will probably just toss the ticket out because you weren't aware of the state laws...

A judge will laugh at you if you make a comment like that in a courtroom. "I didn't know it was illegal" is not a valid excuse for any law any where in the country
Old 09-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Same Mass police will make you peel it on the spot if it's less than 35% light flow.
dude I hope your kidding
Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob2ss View Post
A judge will laugh at you if you make a comment like that in a courtroom. "I didn't know it was illegal" is not a valid excuse for any law any where in the country
I think he is referring to knowing the legality of tint in his own state and not knowing about the laws in the state he was traveling thru. Do you know all state laws? The excuse is valid and would probably work.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
zirotti

Drives: 2013 ZL1
It is 35% which is also illegal in Illinois I believe. However, I wasn't arguing about being stopped in Illinois. If this would have happened in Illinois, I wouldn't have even posted it because it is my home state and I am 100% liable for the laws in my state that I live in.

The fact of the matter is, I was driving in the right lane, going exactly the speed limit, and this trooper blows right by me on the left side, slams on his breaks, gets behind me and pulls me over. Being stopped for speeding and then being given an additional ticket for window tint is one thing, but being pulled over and cited for specifically tinted windows fries my ass, especially since I am an out of state driver.

If I was a Texas driver, where tint is legal, would he have cited me?

Closed Thread