Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Did anyone else notice this

I hesitated to post this because it's hard to explain accurately.

Speed Bumps.

I am always very careful and go over speed bumps really slow.

But, If I should miss one for some reason and go over just a little fast, or it could be a paving line in the road(you know where they stop paving for the day and its about 1 to 1.5 inches high.

Then I get a real loud clunk from underneath. Other than that the car handles and acts normally.

Any ideas?

Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I had a strut fail,and when the suspension unloaded there was a clunk. It was kinda like bottoming out, but topping out if that makes sense,is that what is happening?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
this is a known issue and there is a service bulletin about it. dealer shouldnt fuss much about replacing.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Sounds like bottoming out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I had a strut fail,and when the suspension unloaded there was a clunk. It was kinda like bottoming out, but topping out if that makes sense,is that what is happening?
Thanks for the help.

I guess that's what it sounds like. So it's not a function of the 1LE suspension. There is something wrong, from what you and ST1Le told me.

I'll have to bring it in. Ecch, I hate to leave my car in the dealership.
Always worried about the clowns and the scratches and joy rides.

Jim
Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
cornerspeed92

The first time i took it in they did a visual,and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I was finally able to find a spot by the dealer that i could replicate it and took the service manager with me. They have to actually take the strut off and manually move it,that's when the found that it didn't return,it just stayed in one spot.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Quote:
The first time i took it in they did a visual,and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I was finally able to find a spot by the dealer that i could replicate it and took the service manager with me. They have to actually take the strut off and manually move it,that's when the found that it didn't return,it just stayed in one spot.
Thats great information because when I had it to the dealer once before for a flat tire change, I asked them to check suspension because of the clunking that I heard and they 'didn't see a thing wrong'. Now I have more ammunition.

Anyone know where to find the service bulletin on that problem?

Thanks
Jim
Old 01-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
Thats great information because when I had it to the dealer once before for a flat tire change, I asked them to check suspension because of the clunking that I heard and they 'didn't see a thing wrong'. Now I have more ammunition.

Anyone know where to find the service bulletin on that problem?

Thanks
Jim
This i dont know,but you shouldn't have to wait long,this is a great place,thanks to ALL that help here
Old 01-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Lumino1LE
Rally Yellow 2SS/RS/SR

Drives: Born 11/12 2012 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
It would be good to know what that service bulletin is.
Lumino1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
These cars will 'clunk' in the front suspension if you hit a bump hard and fast as the front struts float in the mounts. They have a retaining cap on top of the shock towers that keep them from falling out. Pop the hood and you'll noticed a 1/4" gap under the caps sitting still. Jack the car up and the caps will touch the shock tower. a 'clunk' sound can be made when you hit a large bump fast enough that the shock can't rebound quickly enough and instead the cap bottoms out on the shock tower.

Not saying this is or isn't your problem, but my previous '12 V6 and my '13 1LE both make a nearly identical sound from the front end over similar bumps.

Both my cars did the same thing yours does, and it's always on the speed bumps and gate rails at my girlfriends apartment complex when I go through the lot too fast.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
Jims Mongoose
Jim

See that's the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
These cars will 'clunk' in the front suspension if you hit a bump hard and fast as the front struts float in the mounts. They have a retaining cap on top of the shock towers that keep them from falling out. Pop the hood and you'll noticed a 1/4" gap under the caps sitting still. Jack the car up and the caps will touch the shock tower. a 'clunk' sound can be made when you hit a large bump fast enough that the shock can't rebound quickly enough and instead the cap bottoms out on the shock tower.

Not saying this is or isn't your problem, but my previous '12 V6 and my '13 1LE both make a nearly identical sound from the front end over similar bumps.

Both my cars did the same thing yours does, and it's always on the speed bumps and gate rails at my girlfriends apartment complex when I go through the lot too fast.
The problem is what is fast. I mean I'm never going what others would consider fast, maybe the most was 5 miles per hour when one of these bumps caught me by surprise.

Jim
Old 01-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
cornerspeed92

Every since i had my strut replaced,i dont have any noise what so ever going over any rise etc.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
Jims Mongoose
Jim

See that's it

Quote:
Every since i had my strut replaced,i dont have any noise what so ever going over any rise etc.
At the speed that I am going over these bumps or rises I should not hear clunking. I don't believe that is the way it's designed.

I would just love to go into dealer with a service bulletin so that they don't experiment too much and play games with me.

Jim
Old 01-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Initially I would be inclined to worry, but I know I didn't have four bad struts in two different cars that had very low mileage, and from what I've read from others, I deemed it a normal noise in my case. I've heard it at low speeds, high speeds, etc. It depends on the actual bump/disruption in the road and how the car reacts to it.

My 2012 1LT did the exact same thing with 18" rubber, not lowered, and and V6 suspension (vs the FE6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
The problem is what is fast. I mean I'm never going what others would consider fast, maybe the most was 5 miles per hour when one of these bumps caught me by surprise.

Jim
I'm talking 5-10 MPH, which is fast in a car over a healthy speed bump. I can't say that I'm ever looking at my speedometer however.

What I hear isn't a lightweight sound. It's definitely a heavy, solid sound. About what I would think a heavy strut being drug down with a huge rotor, wheel, and tire, would sound like when it hits solid metal.

That being said, if anyone wants to bring their car to a dealer for a looksy, by all means go for it. It's under warranty. I'm just content with my own findings is all. I've chalked it up to lazy designs that lowered the amount of hardware and sped up assembly.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Check the issues and problems section for the bulletin.