Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Emjay
Camaro Obsessed

Drives: 1973 z28 1989 iroc 1995 z28
Send a message via AIM to Emjay
Save money, Don't get a crate engine! ...

Hello! All ... here in New York I went to the "corvette doctor" in east hampton to see about the LS3 and LS7 upgrades and such, he determines that a LS3 is a very easy and cheap few mods, and it will be right up there with the LS7. Although he is not a GM employee, he thinks that some of these minor mods all of which I forgot as soon as I paid him for my 3rd gen that I was picking up with a LS1, will be the differece between a Z28 and a SS.

Thats just my two cents for you. Well his actually.

1989IROCZ1995Z28
Camaro Girl
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
Hello! All ... here in New York I went to the "corvette doctor" in east hampton to see about the LS3 and LS7 upgrades and such, he determines that a LS3 is a very easy and cheap few mods, and it will be right up there with the LS7. Although he is not a GM employee, he thinks that some of these minor mods all of which I forgot as soon as I paid him for my 3rd gen that I was picking up with a LS1, will be the differece between a Z28 and a SS.

Thats just my two cents for you. Well his actually.
Yeah, the new LS9 motor in the ZR1 is a LS3 with different internal an a S/C.
TLSTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR MONTHS.

People just don't listen.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post

Most people that are new to forums don't know how to use the search functions.

I have been part of a few motorcycle forums. You get the core guys like you, that have been around, the new guys to this forum like me, the new people to forums all together, then the young new people that just like to cause problems and argue about everything.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post

I have been part of a few motorcycle forums. You get the core guys like you, that have been around, the new guys to this forum like me, the new people to forums all together, then the young new people that just like to cause problems and argue about everything.

I find the problem is a lot of people are trying to put together builds without really knowing much about cars or seeking professional advice. If just 20% of the people here who go "I want a hot cam to keep my factory warranty" or "LS7/9 in a Camaro, I want to do an engine swap!!!" actually knew what you can do with an LS3, how much money a crate motor build in a new car actually costs, or just bothered to call a shop with a strong GM EFI reputation, they'd be much better educated and able to disseminate this information to the rest of the board through their more knowledgeable posts and we'd all be better off because there'd be a larger wealth of GOOD information here.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Plus, all these guys, I bet most of them are all pipe dreams anyways. All talk.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

its great isnt it...lol

Quote:

he's only been here 2 months more than you....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
Plus, all these guys, I bet most of them are all pipe dreams anyways. All talk.
most all of it is.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
its great isnt it...lol

he's only been here 2 months more than you....lol

most all of it is.
Oh yeah, I didn't notice that, I was looking at post count, Now you are a constant
Old 12-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
I find the problem is a lot of people are trying to put together builds without really knowing much about cars or seeking professional advice. If just 20% of the people here who go "I want a hot cam to keep my factory warranty" or "LS7/9 in a Camaro, I want to do an engine swap!!!" actually knew what you can do with an LS3, how much money a crate motor build in a new car actually costs, or just bothered to call a shop with a strong GM EFI reputation, they'd be much better educated and able to disseminate this information to the rest of the board through their more knowledgeable posts and we'd all be better off because there'd be a larger wealth of GOOD information here.
i just called our local speed shop last week asking about stuff i could do to my truck. i found out pretty much anything beyond what i've already done will kill drivabilty & gas mileage. the guys there were really helpful.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Oh yeah, I didn't notice that, I was looking at post count, Now you are a constant
well, thats the thing. (to go off topic a little) I could care less about the number of someone's posts, I care more about the content of their posts.

Junkie hasn't been here a real long time, but his posts are usually top notch and full of great info. and when there is something that is disputable, its normally nothing that has much point in the overall point of things.

but back to the topic at hand.

i have fully accepted that there are plenty of people out there with more money than sense and want to do _________________ to their car. A lot of them dont have the mechanical insight to do things for themselves and they pay someone else to do the work for them. and that's fine. thats why mechanics have a job.

but as LSxJunkie said. I ask EVERYONE who wants to modify their car/motor/trans/rear/whatever, do some research before setting out on a project. it will save you time and money and you will be better off in the long run as you might learn a few new things in doing so as well.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Anyone who pulls and LS3 to swap is crazy IMO, swap the cam and put some LT headers on it or a Magnacharger.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #12
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99b4c View Post
Anyone who pulls and LS3 to swap is crazy IMO, swap the cam and put some LT headers on it or a Magnacharger.

A good cam and headers should be enough to get to 500hp me thinks , with a SUPERCHARGER you would be north of 600 hp depending on the unit the sky is the limit but I don't think the Camaros drive train can handle much more then 600 without being beefed up but I could be wrong I am no expert in this matter , the Shelby gt500 seems able to go over 700hp with stock drivetrain as some members here on this forum have rides like that
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post

A good cam and headers should be enough to get to 500hp me thinks , with a SUPERCHARGER you would be north of 600 hp depending on the unit the sky is the limit but I don't think the Camaros drive train can handle much more then 600 without being beefed up but I could be wrong I am no expert in this matter , the Shelby gt500 seems able to go over 700hp with stock drivetrain as some members here on this forum have rides like that
before this gets carried away and people start a flame war about the drivetrain being capable of holding power, the drivetrain has been tested to ~700-750hp

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Drives: 2013 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
How About NO Gas?

OK, Here I go stepping out on the ice again. I have seen what Nitrous Oxide does to a car as far as increasing its power, but what else besides the kit is needed for the motor? Do you think the stock LS3 will handle a gas kit?
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote