Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #519
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolvr321 View Post
x2. I spent a couple hours on the phone with Vararam before buying it for my C5, and they answered every question I had. I loved that intake. Really really woke the car up.
x3. Vararam customer support is really good. Wish more aftermarket companies were as responsive as Vararam's.
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
'Mo's Seemingly Endless Build Thread
ducatisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #520
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblueSS View Post
it would be interesting to see how the vararam compared on this independent test.
I believe Ted contacted vararam when this test started and they were in development stage and did not opt to participate. They were having a real problems with the cars bucking at this point. it seems they have fixed it by replacing the weak maf's.
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #521
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
That was like 2 years ago wasn't it?
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
'Mo's Seemingly Endless Build Thread
ducatisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #522
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatisl View Post
That was like 2 years ago wasn't it?
well ya.

This thread was posted 10-20-2009... so the testing was done before that... before vararam fixed their issues
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #523
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
They did an updated test with the ADM scoop in 2010; I think Vararam declined that one, too.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107002
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #524
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
They did an updated test with the ADM scoop in 2010; I think Vararam declined that one, too.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107002
VR has declined all of the independent testing.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #525
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
VR has declined all of the independent testing.
Things that make you go "hmmm."
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 04-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #526
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Things that make you go "hmmm."
They've openly said that their intake doesn't show it's real potential on the dyno yet they claim 20+whp DYNO PROVEN. I think it's a decent intake, I just have issues with many of their claims.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #527
911medic

I find it questionable when any product makes claims but won't allow independent verification. "Trust us" doesn't work for me.

But since they don't even make one for the LFX, I guess it's a moot point for me anyway.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #528
turbolvr321

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I dont believe they have a 2013 intake out, so they are not on my list to buy anyways. Apparently something changed on the '13 that makes it not fit???
Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #529
911medic

They don't have one for the LFX engine period. It debuted in the '12 model year.
EDIT: Sorry, now see you have an SS. Not sure why they wouldn't fit a '13. Maybe they just haven't updated their specs yet?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #530
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolvr321 View Post
I dont believe they have a 2013 intake out, so they are not on my list to buy anyways. Apparently something changed on the '13 that makes it not fit???
Umm this is an old thread, but yes the radiators changed for 2012.
I'm a big supporter of this intake and it works on the street and track where it belongs. It's useless on a dyno. I'm not a fan of metal intakes no matter how much you coat them. That's just my opinion.

Quote:
They don't have one for the LFX engine period. It debuted in the '12 model year.
EDIT: Sorry, now see you have an SS. Not sure why they wouldn't fit a '13. Maybe they just haven't updated their specs yet?
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #531
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
This should answer a lot of questions if you can follow along and pay close attention to what is typed.

Any time you change the MAF housing, Size, Shape, MAF position, both distance from the Throttle body, and clock position, Pipe bends before and after the MAF sensor, filter style, shape etc.

It changes the Calibration of the MAF sensor Hz signal to how much air is actually passing by the Sensor.

I will explain further, Air does a lot of crazy things when it flows through a Pipe system, Turbulance is a Bigger problem on some than others, Air Flows just like Water So if you have ever watched a river or water flowing down a drain you can start to picture what I am talking about.

The sensors job is to convert air flow in Grams Per Cyl. Per Second to a Hz signal, the computer can then convert the Hz signal back to a Grams Per Cyl. Per Second value.

Then the computer does some simple Math, For every 14.7 Grams Per Cyl. Per Second, I need to add 1 Gram Per Cyl. Per Second Fuel.

This is Where the 14.7:1 Air Fuel Ratio comes from.

NOW, If the Sample of Air the MAF sensor has Been Altered By EXAMPLE; 15%
Less air than is actually Flowing the Computer Calculates 15% less Fuel, The Oxygen sensors Check The burn Sees that is is not 14.7:1 and adds 15% more fuel than oringinally calculated, then it shows up as FUEL TRIMS + 15% to get back to 14.7:1 Air fuel Ratio.

In this example the car will seem to run and drive fine because the computer has made the necessary changes, but there are more LAYERS to the complex calculations that are going on in the computer.

So the Car seems to run and drive fine as long as the Car Stays in CLOSED LOOP, When you Go Past 75% Throttle this forces the computer in to OPEN LOOP where there ARE NO FUEL TRIMS ACTIVE.

So Now when you go to full Throttle the CAR will be 15% Leaner at WOT than Commanded DUE to the 15% Less Air Beeing Reported.

Now I said it Was Multi Layered, Our timing Maps are Based on Two Axis, RPM and Air Flow in Gram Per Cyl. Per Second.

So When the Maf Reports Less Air than Actual The computer Calculates this as LESS LOAD on the Motor and Selects a Higher Timing Value Which Usually does 2 things Makes more power but then Causes Knock, then the Knock Sensors have to take over and PULL timing to eliminate Knock, and shows up as a Knock Value reported on my spread sheet.

In Custom Tuning We Recalibrate the Maf Calibration Table to Report the Right Amount of air that is acutally Passing By the Meter.

Feel Free to ask questions if you don't understand any part of this expaination.

Ted.
This old school go-fast guy is in awe that computers have changed the hit or miss dyno tunes in days of old. We would have to change distributor springs and carbs/carb jets to get it dialed in. The only thing we REALLY knew in advance was the primary tube diameter of of the headers - that was based on motor cubic inches and RPMs expected to turn.

Having a buddy with a dyno saved me lots of money long ago. I'd build customer motors while he had my car on the dyno. We had different timing/jet setups for the various North Central Texas area weather.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #532
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
I tell you what stands out to me is the fact that the Fastlane avg gains and peak gains are about the same and the highest of all by far......

That is consistent power being laid down which says a lot to how fast the car will go
Then add in the fact that with a good tune this intake increases even more...