Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #1709
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
What is not widely reported by the press (contributing factors to death count) for the 2004 Saturn Ion, 2005-07 Cobalt:
9 of the reported deaths included drugs, alcohol, lack of seatbelt use or any combination of 2 of the 3. Out of 9 of these deaths, 7 were not using seat belts. Also one of those drivers not wearing a seat belt was a 15 year old driving with only a learners permit.

Since I do not drive drunk or use drugs, always use my seatbelt, and have not been able to knee jerk my key to an unsafe position guess I have been very lucky my key/fob and not yet killed me.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #1710
roadblock

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
What if you crash and injure or kill someone else but you are not hurt or you survive? You could be held liable for those others that were injured or killed.
If I am doing something so ignorant as to be able to "accidentally" disable my car, I should be sued, not GM. What ever happened to personal responsibility? Law suits have turned into a personal gain game rather than a compensation for loss. If I accidentally honk my horn,(you know that button is easily bumped) and some driver is offended by that action, should I be sued? Everyone is scared to do or build anything because someone is waiting to sue for anything! Even the ignition problem that is evident in the Cobalt and HHR is not entirely the fault of GM. Maintenance is the responsibility of everyone! If your brakes are shot, is that the fault of GM for installing brakes that do not outlast the car? If your ball joints are worn out, is that the fault of GM? Now that the ignition lock is worn, GM accepts responsibility for that. I am not sure how that is all their fault. If you have 2lbs of crap hanging on your key ring, you are at the very minimum partially to blame. Personal responsibility has joined the condor.
roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #1711
gdl029
CAROMARO

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray 1LT
What a bunch of frickin cry babies!!! It's just a key get over it!!!
gdl029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #1712
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthZL1 View Post
And RIGHT THERE is the word that is important. "MAY". They don't EVEN KNOW that is what caused it for sure in the wrecks.

It's a waste of time and money because GM is scared over the bad press they've gotten.

Oh, BTW, anybody see the recall on multiple manufacturers (including Fords) about the air bags blowing up? I didn't see that on the front page.

I saw that on CBS news last night, just one little mention of it. If it had been GM they would have made a 5 minute segment on it along with listing every recall they have had lately.
When CBS reported the Camaro recall they threw up pictures of Crashed Cobalts and said it was a similar issue as they had...

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 06-24-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #1713
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl029 View Post
It's not even about the key when you come right down to it.

It's about vanity, or more accurately the refusal to step back from having too much of it.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #1714
GAHDOOSH
GAHDOOSH

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
So here is something interesting. I called GM today, I have the same switchblade key everyone else had, I gave them my vin number, and they assured me that my vehicle was NOT part of the recall.
What's up with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 1SS 6.2L LT1 Manual 6-Speed, Front Emblem Blackout, Rear Bowtie Delete, Side emblem delete, Phastek Side Marker Tint, GM Black Taillights, $23.57 of Premium Gas this morning

GAHDOOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #1715
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHDOOSH View Post
So here is something interesting. I called GM today, I have the same switchblade key everyone else had, I gave them my vin number, and they assured me that my vehicle was NOT part of the recall.
What's up with that?

This recall is still not in the system yet, he just plugs your VIN number in and sees no recalls listed. I guarantee nobody will have theirs listed yet.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #1716
GAHDOOSH
GAHDOOSH

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
How is it possible that we know about it before it is listed?!? If GM is aware of a recall issue and they don't immediately inform the customer... That seems a tad illegal, don't you think?

2016 1SS 6.2L LT1 Manual 6-Speed, Front Emblem Blackout, Rear Bowtie Delete, Side emblem delete, Phastek Side Marker Tint, GM Black Taillights, $23.57 of Premium Gas this morning

GAHDOOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #1717
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHDOOSH View Post
How is it possible that we know about it before it is listed?!? If GM is aware of a recall issue and they don't immediately inform the customer... That seems a tad illegal, don't you think?

No, it happens most of the time a recall is announced before you get a notice, at least when it's safety related. Nothing illegal about it, it's getting the word out so owners can be aware it's coming in the mail.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #1718
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
The word is out to all of us primarily because we frequent a Camaro enthusiast forum. Many people who drive Camaros don't watch the few news tidbits that have made vague mention of it. many local sales reps around my State that I spoke with in my search for a good deal on the SS we bought weren't even aware of it. Either that or they were playing dumb as to not alarm a prospective buyer. Ironically the best deal I found on the specific unit I was looking for had no issue letting me take delivery of it and simply informed me that there was an open recall on the key fobs and that I could have it handled at a local dealer once they began updating the fobs. She's tucked away in my garage while I finish a little detail work.

Last edited by RobertRS; 06-24-2014 at 12:15 PM.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #1719
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl029 View Post
Yeah. And?

Would you say the same thing if were any other part of the car? It would suck to have a piece of it removed or replaced for no real reason wouldn't it?

I'm sure those of us who are against this recall would feel differently if it were made for a legitimate safety reason.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #1720
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I have become interested in disabling all of the fobs functions. Here in Ca 2 Camaros have been stolen by thieves either using frequency generators to unlock the cars, or Onstar to simulate an accident and unlock the car. Both cars were stolen with out anyone noticing, and once they snatched they onstar was quickly disabled. My car is garaged so I disengage the garage door to prevent that frequency from being hacked, and now the tbieves are hacking cars too. Sometimes technology sucks.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #1721
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
I have become interested in disabling all of the fobs functions. Here in Ca 2 Camaros have been stolen by thieves either using frequency generators to unlock the cars, or Onstar to simulate an accident and unlock the car. Both cars were stolen with out anyone noticing, and once they snatched they onstar was quickly disabled. My car is garaged so I disengage the garage door to prevent that frequency from being hacked, and now the tbieves are hacking cars too. Sometimes technology sucks.
They may be able to unlock the doors, but the car will not start unless the RFID chip in the key is present when the key is inserted into the ignition switch. No RFID, no start. Can't hot wire a new car....
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #1722
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Next time I bring my car in to be serviced I'll talk with the service dept manager and see if they'd be willing to install a push-button start. I'll pay for the unit, if they'll pay for the install. I'm willing to pay for the cost if they pay for the installation. I wonder if the setup in the Stingray could be used???
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall