Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #435
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
yup sounds like it.. we had a pink wire for show mode and another I think it was red that went directly to the battery.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:52 AM   #436
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Even if you don't have a garage you could run an extension cord and keep everything under the hood. Then pop the hood, disconnect and throw the bat tender Jr in the back seat.

Lots of other options like an on/off switch in the trunk, but you'd have to remember to always turn it on, or re-wire to an accessory key on fuse. I went w/the battery tender jr because it's just so simple and I'm not much of a DIY especially w/electrical stuff.
OK boys and girls.......this is a "custom" bad azz aftermarket led tail light system. If you go custom... DON`T EXPECT OEM PERFORMANCE .....simple as that!
I love these tail lights and have wired a switch to the power wire which I turn off when I don't drive her for longer than a week. No big deal....flip it on when it's drive time. Not that hard to remember. Or use a battery tender if you want....it is no big deal and it is the price you pay for the best tail lights out on the market today IMHO! Like Nike says....Just do it!

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #437
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I ordered and installed these lights prior to reading this post. My installation is slightly different than what I believe I am reading here. The wire harness I received only has a purple wire which is strictly for the show mode which the instructions recommend the use of a switch. Several of you mention a red wire which if I am reading correctly is required to power the lights. Is this a change that Technostalgia has made to eliminate the battery drain?
The new harness no longer has a wire to connect to the battery/12v power, as the circuitry in the lights is different from the original lights and doesn't require a separate wire to power the lights, just a purple wire to connect to 12 v if you want to use the show mode.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #438
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
The new harness no longer has a wire to connect to the battery/12v power, as the circuitry in the lights is different from the original lights and doesn't require a separate wire to power the lights, just a purple wire to connect to 12 v if you want to use the show mode.

Really glad to hear they resolved this issue. I've even read where some guys have taken them out and re-installed the OEM taillights. The battery drain was just too big of an issue for them. I hope somebody will post an update say like after three or four months and no issues.

For sure these lights look great! I love having my remote clicker for show mode! Especially when some yahoo is on my bumper, click, and it's like they slam their brakes on and back off as fast as possible. It does give off that Police Car look, works for me! Hahaha
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #439
BlackSmoke

Drives: 2013 Black SS 1LE
Technostalgia Rapid Fire LED Tail Lights

I received my brand new set of Technostalgia Rapid Fire lights yesterday. Today I installed them with no problems at all. Everything fires up and they perform as they are suppose to. There is no direct line to the battery. The only single line is the purple one which is for show mode. It is recommended by the manufacture to use a switch which makes sense to me. I did not hook up the show mode at this time. I really have no use for this feature but can always hook it up later on if need be.

This mod ranks high on my list because bottom line is they are freakin bad ass. They are hands down the best looking LED lights that I have ever seen in my life. Needless to say I had to have them once I found out about them. They are not easy to find at all because the company can not keep up with demand worldwide. It took me 6 weeks to get mine and I just about gave up hope and came close to cancelling my order a couple of times. Thankfully I hung in there because it is well worth the wait and the kick ass price that I paid for them brand new which was $339.00 due to a 15% off promotion that was going at the time of purchase.

My first time out today after I installed them. I am driving down the road and notice a car pacing me - I am watching out of my drivers side mirror. I finally figure out what these people in this car are doing. They are taking pictures of my tail lights as I apply the brakes. It rained all day long today and rained hard and these people are hanging their cell phone out the window in the rain to get pictures of these tail lights. I was not surprised because the lights really are that sweet.

Now I will be watching them closely to make sure they continue to operate like they are suppose to. I understand they have made a lot of changes since these lights hit the market. I am hoping these changes remain in place and do not become a faulty headache. As for now I am very happy with these lights.
K & N Cold Air Intake, 25% window tint, 2 sets of 6000K LED fogs added, bow ties delete, Pypes catback mid exhaust, MGP Caliper covers, Spyder projection HID 6000K lighting with dual CCFL halos, Technostalgia Rapid Fire LED Tail Lights, blacked out rear bezels, Oracle Ghosted side marker lights, Platinum Ultra Rims, LED tag, dome, trunk lighting, Razzi Ground Effects, Billet Grille, Oracle Concept Mirrors, Eibach Pro Springs,
GM Strut Tower Brace and LED lit door sills.
BlackSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #440
Bcwe2on

Drives: vw
I would love to get with a club when I am in the states.
Bcwe2on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:57 AM   #441
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
I've had mine installed since mid July and only had one problem, right after installation the left outer light did not work so they sent me a replacement and I haven't noticed any issues since.

It's the coolest mod you can do too.

Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #442
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
This is my first winter using the new tail lamps. I notice that in the colder weather, it feels like my car is struggling to make power a little bit. My center information panel on the dashboard has a very mild flicker. I'm not sure if it's a battery issue.

It sounds like they recently came out with a 3rd revision for these tail lamps which doesn't require the pink / red wire connection to the positive battery terminal. Does anybody know if there's a new model #? 6701B was the model number for the 2nd revision, which is what I'm using. Not sure if it's worth it to buy the latest revision, but if it really avoids power drain, it could be worth it.

On a side note: Anybody able to get a response from info@cool-leds.com, their support email address? I'm about ready to call them because one of my lamps has a fogging issue and they've ignored my emails seeking a replacement so far.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #443
SkunkWorks

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I have the newest unit that does not have and or require a pink connection to the battery. The model number on the box is 6800. I travel quite a bit and after I installed these the car sat for 13 days straight. When I returned home put the key in the ignition and it started right up.
SkunkWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #444
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Thanks. Searching the forums for the new "6800" part number, I found the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serows1 View Post
This new afterburner taillight is lower profile and brighter than our old one.

We will resume production next week of our Camaro LED lights with the new afterburner ring as well as a series of product improvements. These include:

- New, low profile afterburner ring
- Smaller diameter interconnect harness with smaller connectors to make the routing of this harness easier during installation.
- New firmware for the microprocessors in each lamp.
- Does NOT require a connection to the car's battery and does not drain the battery during long term storage
- Show mode is now enabled with a connection to 12 VDC (+)
- Updated marine grade resistor packs with improved wire routing
- All product shipped now will carry our part number 6800
This explains why some places like Phastek are stating the 6701B are discontinued when you try to purchase them. I got scared for a second and though Technostalgia stopped producing them. They did, but for the new 6800 which is apparently still having some supply constraints delaying shipments.

I think I'll honestly fork over another $400 for a new set just to finally be done with the issues my current lamps have. They really hurt the reserve power on my battery.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #445
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
That's definitely good news. Glad they fixed the battery draining problem. I love mine, 6700 series, but as soon as I pull into the garage I connect my Battery Tender Jr., not a big deal but I'd prefer not having any issues.

Will they trade-in yours for the new ones. Be nice if they offered you something towards a new set. $400 is a lot of money, anything would help.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #446
bitterfitter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSmoke View Post
I received my brand new set of Technostalgia Rapid Fire lights yesterday. Today I installed them with no problems at all. Everything fires up and they perform as they are suppose to. There is no direct line to the battery. The only single line is the purple one which is for show mode. It is recommended by the manufacture to use a switch which makes sense to me. I did not hook up the show mode at this time. I really have no use for this feature but can always hook it up later on if need be.

This mod ranks high on my list because bottom line is they are freakin bad ass. They are hands down the best looking LED lights that I have ever seen in my life. Needless to say I had to have them once I found out about them. They are not easy to find at all because the company can not keep up with demand worldwide. It took me 6 weeks to get mine and I just about gave up hope and came close to cancelling my order a couple of times. Thankfully I hung in there because it is well worth the wait and the kick ass price that I paid for them brand new which was $339.00 due to a 15% off promotion that was going at the time of purchase.

My first time out today after I installed them. I am driving down the road and notice a car pacing me - I am watching out of my drivers side mirror. I finally figure out what these people in this car are doing. They are taking pictures of my tail lights as I apply the brakes. It rained all day long today and rained hard and these people are hanging their cell phone out the window in the rain to get pictures of these tail lights. I was not surprised because the lights really are that sweet.

Now I will be watching them closely to make sure they continue to operate like they are suppose to. I understand they have made a lot of changes since these lights hit the market. I am hoping these changes remain in place and do not become a faulty headache. As for now I am very happy with these lights.
I was wondering where you bought your lights from that had the 15% discount? Think they might do it again?
bitterfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #447
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Every aftermarket mod I've ever done has its issues. They always will... But if it's worth it for you then who cares? I always catch people staring at the lights and it's probably the most complimented part on the car.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:16 AM   #448
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Are the new production lights impoved as far as technical issues and or humidity problems ? I sold my original pair due to the problems it was having. Would love to get these back in my car. One of my favorite mods