Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #57
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcowboy View Post
Tony romo chases blondes more than hot cars though lol, can't really blame the guy.
lmao no can't blame him at all lol
Old 09-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #58
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211269 View Post
Its ok, thats not much at all. Especially to get rid of a car I really didnt like. I have driven an 07 Vette so I am assuming its similar although the SS is quite a bit heavier.
Not trying to be a jerk here but, take it from a "fanboy". (You seem to love that word.) I'm beginning to think that you don't really know too much about these cars.
Why do I say that?!?! First, you can do a comparison of the weight difference. BIG difference. Then you have the handling. Again, BIG difference. I wouldn't consider the 2010 Camaro or Corvette to be in the same category. Not even close. Do yourself and your wallet a great duty. Test drive a SS first BEFORE purchase. Make sure you do your homework this time around and not lose any more cash.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #59
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Not trying to be a jerk here but, take it from a "fanboy". (You seem to love that word.) I'm beginning to think that you don't really know too much about these cars.
Why do I say that?!?! First, you can do a comparison of the weight difference. BIG difference. Then you have the handling. Again, BIG difference. I wouldn't consider the 2010 Camaro or Corvette to be in the same category. Not even close. Do yourself and your wallet a great duty. Test drive a SS first BEFORE purchase. Make sure you do your homework this time around and not lose any more cash.

Again, you are just another person who owns a completely different vehicle spouting off about things you have no clue. Have you even SAT in a new camaro much less driven one? Or are you just talking out your butt? Like other V6 OWNERS have mentioned, it doesnt FEEL like 300 HP at all.

The Lexus IS350 FEELS like 306 HP. The Infiniti G35/37 FEELS like 300 HP, the Acura TL-S FEELS like 305 HP. All of these cars are very similar in weight to the V6 Camaro. In fact, the Acura is heavier. So how in the hell were we supposed to know the V6 Camaro was not going to FEEL like a fast car just by looking at specs in a magazine? You dont until you drive one for a good length of time. Please refrain from making any more stupid comments till you have at least driven the car for a day
Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #60
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Again, you are just another person who owns a completely different vehicle spouting off about things you have no clue. Have you even SAT in a new camaro much less driven one? Or are you just talking out your butt? Like other V6 OWNERS have mentioned, it doesnt FEEL like 300 HP at all.

The Lexus IS350 FEELS like 306 HP. The Infiniti G35/37 FEELS like 300 HP, the Acura TL-S FEELS like 305 HP. All of these cars are very similar in weight to the V6 Camaro. In fact, the Acura is heavier. So how in the hell were we supposed to know the V6 Camaro was not going to FEEL like a fast car just by looking at specs in a magazine? You dont until you drive one for a good length of time. Please refrain from making any more stupid comments till you have at least driven the car for a day
Seriously just move on to another forum... PLEASE
Old 09-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #61
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
Quote:

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #62
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Quote:

please refrain from ever coming back here
Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #63
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I'm not sure where all this is coming from.................FEELS, not feels, but FEELS. I have got about 30,000 miles in the seat of LTs and SSs. I may not agree with the magazines and a crap load of pundits, but when I picked up a 2LT today to drive for while..............................completely reminded AGAIN how awesome the V6 FEEEEEEELS. It pulls hard in all gears. It is wonderful. It's not an SS, but on it's own merit is an absolutely fabulous car. To me and again I've only got a trip to California, winter driving, trips to Northern Michigan and daily commuting in a V6..................it FEELS %^&*()_ing fast, quick, spritely.....................aceleratable?.......

I've posted everytime I've switched between the SS and the V6 just how awesome and amazing I thought is was. And today, getting in a V6 again for the first time since swapping out of Number 3 I experienced it all over again.

Sorry you don't/didn't like your V6. My vote is AWESOME!!!!!

Oh yeah, that's right you'll discount my opinion for being a GM employee. But if you read all of my posts and check with those that know me here you'll no the above is not BS.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #64
jnewberr2ssrs

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
it's already been mentioned in this thread and most car people know that if you want power you can FEEL (on the street/day to day basis) torque is the word you're looking for, not horsepower... (horsepower is what you notice at high speeds and at the track - as was already mentioned in this thread)...start comparing torque to weight instead of horsepower to weight and that might give you a better idea of power you're going to feel day to day on the street.

that being said...i love the torque and handling of my SS...it doesn't compare to vettes and they are definitely in different categories. the SS is what i wanted because it fits my personality a little better than a vette (i mean, i'm 21 years old and it doesn't seem like the kind of car i should be driving at this point in my life). the SS is a more raw car and that's exactly what i personally like...the SS has plenty of torque, is easy to get in to, and has a very smooth handling for what it is (it's especially smile-provoking blasting out of a corner )...Now granted this is coming from someone who used to drive an '05 V6 Mustang so what you're looking for and how you react to the car does depend on what you're used to driving...For me at least, the SS has exceeded my expectations more than i could have ever imagined and at this point in my life i wouldn't trade it for anything because it gives me chills just thinking about my beast

ok, that's all i'm going to contribute to this thread...lol
Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #65
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Quote:

Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #66
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
No disrespect to anyone and i didn't read every post here but i don't honestly understand how you can order this car and not know what engine you want. I knew i wanted the V6, and i love it but i also know if i wanted something really quick i would go with the V8. I would have at least some way drove one if i had any question whatsoever spending this kind of money, sorry i just don't get it.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #67
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:

IS350
-Requires premium Fuel
-3.5L V6
-306horsepower, 277torque
-0-60 5.6
-1/4 mile 14.0
-weight 3,527
-Final Drive 4.083:1
-18/25 mpg
-MSRP 37k+

Infiniti G37 Coupe Sport 6MT
-Requires premium Fuel
-3.7L
-330horse power 270torque
-0-60 5.5
-1/4 mile 13.9
-weight 3,662
-Final Drive 3.69:1
-17/25 mpg
-MSRP 37k+

Acura TL SH-AWD
-Requires premium Fuel
-3.7L
-305horsepower 273 torque
-0-60 5.4
-1/4 mile 13.7
-17 / 25 mpg
-Final Drive 4.53AT 3.84MT
-38k+

Chevrolet Camaro LS
-Regular Gas
-3.6L
-304horsepower 273torque
-0-60 6.0
-1/4 mile 14.0
-17/29 mpg
-Final drive 3.27
-22k+

Sources:
lexus.com
infiniti.com
acura.com
chevy.com
edmunds.com

these are not opinoins, these are facts.

The camaro is 15k cheaper than the competition you have picked for it. The V6 camaro was not meant to break the middle class's wallet, and that is shown through the way GM has engined this great engine to run on regular unleaded, a task the other car makers did not bother to achieve. The on the camaro gearing is clearly more MPG oriented than the completion, yet another example of general motors keeping the target market in mind. even with this more conservative gearing, the camaro is still breathing down the necks of these higher end import V6s. The cars that you compared it to have the best engine in that is available in that car, the V6 camaro is the baby engine for the camaro.

when most people "feel" the car accelerating, they are feeling the Gs that are generated wile accelerating, these can be calculated through physics. the laws to get this do not change from car to car.

if you are in a V6 camaro and line up with a ZR1, and you accelerate to 60mph, staying completely even, the ZR1 driver will feel the same Gs as you do, because you are accelerating at the same rate.

that being said, these cars are all close in acceleration, so they should (imo) feel close to the same, with the edge going to the more expensive, higher end cars you have chosen to line this entry level camaro up against.

i refuse to believe that just because i do not have a camaro and have not driven one, that my comments are all stupid. i can assure you that i have far more passion for this car than you ever will.

i will not ask you to leave the forum, because you do offer insight that we have not yet seen, however i would like to ask you if you could present this information in a more tactful manner.

thank you for you time.

ps. i have not time to proof read this, so fend for your selves on the typos, sorry!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #68
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Hey everyone. Look up Derin11 threads and posts and the OP's blabberings here and there and something in your mind will click. I promise
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #69
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
if you are in a V6 camaro and line up with a ZR1, and you accelerate to 60mph, staying completely even, the ZR1 driver will feel the same Gs as you do, because you are accelerating at the same rate.

that being said, these cars are all close in acceleration, so they should (imo) feel close to the same, with the edge going to the more expensive, higher end cars you have chosen to line this entry level camaro up against.
Thanks for using reason and logic rather than just blindly bashing because someone has something negative to say about their dream car. Its not really true that a car accelerating at the same rate will feel the same as any other. Take the Evo for example. It has right about the same HP and TQ numbers and runs to 60 the same time the Acura TL-S does. Having driven both often, I can assure you they feel COMPLETELY different getting to 60. The Acura is much more smooth and refined, very deceptive speed. The Evo throws you back in your seat when the turbo kicks in and you would swear its getting there MUCH faster than the Acura, but its not. To say any car running the same time as another will feel the same to drive is way wrong.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #70
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Thanks for using reason and logic rather than just blindly bashing because someone has something negative to say about their dream car. Its not really true that a car accelerating at the same rate will feel the same as any other. Take the Evo for example. It has right about the same HP and TQ numbers and runs to 60 the same time the Acura TL-S does. Having driven both often, I can assure you they feel COMPLETELY different getting to 60. The Acura is much more smooth and refined, very deceptive speed. The Evo throws you back in your seat when the turbo kicks in and you would swear its getting there MUCH faster than the Acura, but its not. To say any car running the same time as another will feel the same to drive is way wrong.

a turbo changes the power curve completely. all of theengines in the compared cars are very similar and will likely have close to the same torque curves.

if they acelerate AT THE SAME RATE gravity will effect them equally. like said, the zr1 stays even at all times. the reason the evo feels faster, is because once the turbo kicks in, it accelerates faster than the acura to make up for the turbo lag, thus resulting in the same time. the two cars have the same AVERAGE acceleration. if you were to line them up side by side to do a 60 run, the acura would like take the lead, and the the evo would catch up and be even at the 60mph mark.

Closed Thread