Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #71
TiG3R

Drives: 2006 V8 Toureg
Manuals are very fun, theres nothing like it, its like the perfect bond between man and machine.
But I choose Automatic for several reason,
I dont like having both hands tied up 90% of the time
I have tennis elbow in my right arm
I dont ever want to have to possibly replace the clutch $$$
I drive in traffic every day.
TiG3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #72
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211269 View Post
If that were true, why does most every Ferrari, Lambo and race car employ some sort of paddle/tap shifter? Most true performance cars dont have clutches and stick shifts.
you comparing an $18k man/auto to a 6l80
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #73
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
OK my turn to chime in. First and foremost lets not EVER compare an A6 to an M6 again. They are complete different beasts. Sure the A6 may shift faster and the be close to the same times but you will never duplicate the feel of the M6 with the A6. This isnt your grand-dads buick here. Its a muscle car, look at it, its meant to bang gears and burn rubber. You are NOT supposed to put it in "D" dial up the cell phone and drive along oblivious to everything. Now I see a select few reasons to get A6, you have a prosthetic leg, arthritis, a bad back... etc. But laziness is no excuse. You will have way more fun factor with the M6.

Learning it is a breeze. You want to know how I learned? Tough, your going to hear anyhow. I was 16 and I worked at a detail shop. The owner took me to pick up a car to detail. It was a newer 944 (oh man I am getting old) Porsche. I had two options, admit I did not know how to drive stick, or figure it out. I drove the Porsche no sweat. No I did know the concept so it was easy to pick up on the VW... err I mean Porsche.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #74
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
If that were true, why does most every Ferrari, Lambo and race car employ some sort of paddle/tap shifter? Most true performance cars dont have clutches and stick shifts.
Dude, the tranny in those cars cost more than a camaro... THE WHOLE CAR.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #75
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Manual transmissions impress high school girls.

Automatics win races. From a drag race point anyways.

I get annoyed when people say "yo man why didnt you get a manual"?
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #76
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Dude, the tranny in those cars cost more than a camaro... THE WHOLE CAR.
Well no crap, really? What I am saying is that ALOT of "manual transmission" lovers thumb their nose at tap shifters. Thinking somehow a clutch and stick shift are what performance cars are all about when thats not true at all.
211269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #77
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post

exactly.
211269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #78
vinyljunkie
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Ok ... first off SC!! Trojans WHOOT WHOTT!!! miss it there.

Second - i know the traffic around the 110, 10 and 405. My first car when i went to SC was an old school porsche Standard. People who know clutches know that Porsches, back then, were a pain but sooo much fun to drive. I have a M6 SS and love it.

On an M6 you can try to save more gas than an A6 but with traffic i havent compared it yet.

get the M6. your left leg will hate you but like what everyone else here said...after time you'll love it.
vinyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #79
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
OK my turn to chime in. First and foremost lets not EVER compare an A6 to an M6 again. They are complete different beasts. Sure the A6 may shift faster and the be close to the same times but you will never duplicate the feel of the M6 with the A6. This isnt your grand-dads buick here. Its a muscle car, look at it, its meant to bang gears and burn rubber. You are NOT supposed to put it in "D" dial up the cell phone and drive along oblivious to everything. Now I see a select few reasons to get A6, you have a prosthetic leg, arthritis, a bad back... etc. But laziness is no excuse. You will have way more fun factor with the M6.

Learning it is a breeze. You want to know how I learned? Tough, your going to hear anyhow. I was 16 and I worked at a detail shop. The owner took me to pick up a car to detail. It was a newer 944 (oh man I am getting old) Porsche. I had two options, admit I did not know how to drive stick, or figure it out. I drove the Porsche no sweat. No I did know the concept so it was easy to pick up on the VW... err I mean Porsche.

You forgot to say IMO !!!!! I've had some bad AZZ auto's in the past that you could bang gears all day long and have a blast with.... I'm talking a 1969 Hurst Olds, 400 B&M Turbo, B & M 3600 Stall Converter, Husrt Dual Gate Shifter .... Had an awesome feel, and could way out perform any manual out there ..... IMO....
Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #80
OC CAMARO

Drives: 2010 black 2SS Camaro
Hey man I'm from OC too. Most guys that I've seen here drive the automatic (including me) because of the traffic. It is fun for a little, then when your sitting on the 5 in rush hour it is brutal.
OC CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #81
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Well no crap, really? What I am saying is that ALOT of "manual transmission" lovers thumb their nose at tap shifters. Thinking somehow a clutch and stick shift are what performance cars are all about when thats not true at all.
guess he has never driven one of those cars before

you should try to drive one through a parking lot at low speed, you turn into a parking spot the car takes it out of gear because it's going to slow and about to stall you start rolling backwards you hit the gas a little harder to get moving again..clutch engages and you jerk forward and you have to slam on the brakes so you don't hit the car parked in front of you

but yes it's a great transmission for racing thats why F1 cars use them, not really the best solution for a DD. but you would know that if you knew anything about cars
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #82
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
guess he has never driven one of those cars before

you should try to drive one through a parking lot at low speed, you turn into a parking spot the car takes it out of gear because it's going to slow and about to stall you start rolling backwards you hit the gas a little harder to get moving again..clutch engages and you jerk forward and you have to slam on the brakes so you don't hit the car parked in front of you

but yes it's a great transmission for racing thats why F1 cars use them, not really the best solution for a DD. but you would know that if you knew anything about cars

The evo x mr is a true dual clutch auto and it has no problems. It was a blast to drive.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #83
dursin

Drives: Suburban
Quote:

Agree! It takes more skill, dexterity and coordination to play your average XBox game than it does to drive a manual which is why it really doesn't impress anyone much past high school.
dursin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #84
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri9 View Post
Get the manual! With the Fuel Management system in the auto it feels like your V8 is always in the 4 cylinder mode and then the exhaust sounds very weak.
the AFM only activates on the highway when you're cruising & don't need any extra power

Quote:
those automatics actually do have clutches &, as others have said, cost as much as a whole camaro

Quote:

a 6L80 ain't a drag racing transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dursin View Post
Agree! It takes more skill, dexterity and coordination to play your average XBox game than it does to drive a manual which is why it really doesn't impress anyone much past high school.
it's better than being bored in an automatic
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote