Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
camarogolfguy
Camarogolfguy

Drives: 2012 ssrs
LS3 6sp man qustions

I have an 010 with about 7300 miles on it and about 300 miles or so ago, I notied what you old timers woud call a tappet or lifters making noise. I was told in the past there were no longer such devices. Let me briefly explain:

1) With the tappet noise (for lack of a better term) it kicks in, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears when you jump on it a little bit. It goes away when you let off the gas. But is a noise that is there and I don't believe shoud be, I am using MOBIL 1. I changed it once last Oct when I put the car up for the winter. I put in a second oil change this spring when i began to run it in May.

2) The clutch seems to need adjusting. There just seems to be too much slipping in the linkage. I seem to have too many clunks, no matter how slow I drive or shift. I have yet to try launch control.

I am very concenred with the engine noise in 1) above. Although there is not any evidence of any oil leaks or drips on the engine or floor, the noise is still bothersome. I only use 93 premium gas.

Any thoughts about the concerns and what might be dond about it.

thanks.:(
camarogolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
If you are getting that tapping noise, take it into the dealer and let them look at it. In all honestly, I don't know what it could be. Do you change the oil and filter yourself? If so, we found that the filter on my wife's SUV was the culprit of the EXACT same situation. We got the rapid tapping sounds which would increase in speed as you hit the gas. I figured it was a lifter, plug...something like that. Well, it turned out to be the aftermarket oil filter. I was floored! Who would have ever thought of THAT?!?! They said there was some purge system on the stock filter...whatever. But, it's GONE.

I'd take it in. Let the dealer look at it and come to a solution. There should be NO tapping, lifting, etc sounds.

Your clutch could need adjusting (bleeding the fluid). Although I doubt there's going to be an issue here. A few people have reported this as a problem, but GM tested several cars finding it was not the car error, but rather driver error. I won't say who, what, how, etc...or that YOU, personally, are wrong. But, you might want to do a search for the clutch issues in the other forum and find all the info you can about that. GM supposedly started replacing the pressure plate with a thicker plate....different part numbers than stock. Not sure, but I remember reading that.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Lifter noise (there are still lifters in there) very rarely occurs when you are accelerating and disappears when you coast - that is more like pre-ignition or exhaust leak. The first thing to try is a different brand of gas.

BTW, what kind of oil filter did you use? Per the above post - some oil filters - like Fram - are no good and should never be used in your car.

There is no linkage in the clutch - it's hydraulic - and could you describe the clunking a little more?
DaddySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Lifter tick typically only happens in the first few seconds after startup. After a few seconds, the lifters fill with oil and it goes away. That isn't what you're describing though. Do you have headers?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Levi550

Drives: SIM, 2SS/RS, LS3
I may be the fuel injectors. They operate at a high pressure opening and closing. There has been more than one post about the sound.
Levi550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarogolfguy View Post
I have an 010 with about 7300 miles on it and about 300 miles or so ago, I notied what you old timers woud call a tappet or lifters making noise. I was told in the past there were no longer such devices. Let me briefly explain:

1) With the tappet noise (for lack of a better term) it kicks in, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears when you jump on it a little bit. It goes away when you let off the gas. But is a noise that is there and I don't believe shoud be, I am using MOBIL 1. I changed it once last Oct when I put the car up for the winter. I put in a second oil change this spring when i began to run it in May.

2) The clutch seems to need adjusting. There just seems to be too much slipping in the linkage. I seem to have too many clunks, no matter how slow I drive or shift. I have yet to try launch control.

I am very concenred with the engine noise in 1) above. Although there is not any evidence of any oil leaks or drips on the engine or floor, the noise is still bothersome. I only use 93 premium gas.

Any thoughts about the concerns and what might be dond about it.

thanks.:(
This information may or may not help you but I am sure it will help someone who reads it.

We found that if you even slightly over fill your engine oil it will whip air in to the oil and cause lifter noise, this is BAD.

I recommend running the oil level on or just above the add line, Some times being too picky with making sure the full line is covered can do more harm than good.

The Clutch is a Hydraulic Self adjusting unit, no adjustment is possible.

Drive line back lash is perfectly normal and you can learn to drive it smooth enough to be non existant.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
camarogolfguy
Camarogolfguy

Thanks for all your comments. The oil has been changed twice. Once last Oct before I stored it for the winter (upper lower Michigan) and again this spring when I took it out of storage. I had it changed even though it probably didn't need.

Both oil changes were by a GM dealer while I waited. I don't know what kind of filter they used, but I know Mobil One went into it. I believe it was 5w30; whatever is on the cap. So I don't do it myself.

I use 93 Octane only, but I get it at Sam's Club because they are usually about 5-7 cents less than anyone else in town. I have topped off the oil when it was near perfect or just slightly low. Also, I don't have headers.

The clunk is just that. Very audible no matter what gears I am going to/from. Not all the time. I have been driving a stick for a long time, and I can usually slide it into gear without a clunk. It just seems to me I shouldn't have to work that hard to shift gears manually without a noise.

I intend to take it to a dealer (mine is downstate 150 miles) and hopefully get a mechanic who can diagnose any problems. From the sounds of it, it could be as simple as you guys suggest. I just need someone to tell me that from the dealer as long as I have warranty left.

FYI, I have yet to try the controlled burn (?). My vin falls within the ones that supposedly were bad. I have been waiting to do that right in front of a dealer. Maybe now is the time.

Thanks again you guys. You are of great help.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
I flush clutch fluid every 10,000 in the vette. Never has slippage, but have had a pedal stick to the floor in three of my vettes. Fluid get black. Turkey baster method is easy to do on a regular basis. I'm waiting on my Camaro to be delivered, but I assume you will deal with the same thing.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
I would change gas stations and see what happens after a tank. I've heard really crazy things about gas that would blow your mind. Lets just say you wouldn't want to fly on an airplane.
ackeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #10
8ty8 ls1
Resident Engineer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1988 GMC S-15
definitely stop buying gas at sam's club. this isn't a cheap beater of a car, it should have quality fuel in it.

12.68 @ 109: LSR cai, Borla S-type axle-back, Tunes
8ty8 ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
camarogolfguy
Camarogolfguy

Well guys here is an update. The noise was getting progressively worse. I had to make a trip downstate this weekend. By 50 miles at 55mph, the engine was roaring like a machine gun. I stopped at the local Chevy dealer. Two mechanics drove it. The second said he thought the engine had metal flake debris floating throughout the engine oil. He pulled up all service bullitens and found nothing. He will be calling GM for support on this. For now he is going to start tearing the engine down. Not good. To say I am unhappy is a mild understatement.

This happened on Friday. I hope to find out tomorrow more of a diagnosis and prognosis. I am going to press hard for a new (not rebuilt) engine if what I am hearing is true. I would also like to know the cause. I did not race or ride this engine hard. I will keep you posted and would like to hear any thoughts.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

No idea. You said,
Quote:
I have topped off the oil when it was near perfect
. Why would you do that if the dealer changed the oil and you really didn't drive it that much. The dealer knows how much oil to put in. Your engine isn't going to burn through all that synthetic oil in 7,000 miles...even more so if you changed it twice. IMO, there is no need to add oil to your engine if the level is almost perfect. Leave it be. Like Ted said,
Quote:
We found that if you even slightly over fill your engine oil it will whip air in to the oil and cause lifter noise, this is BAD.
I don't know exactly what all could happen from over filling your engine oil. But, lets say that I sure wouldn't want to find out.

These guys are going to tear down your engine and they will find out the problem. Once that is figured out, you will know where to go. If you did it, be glad they end up rebuilding it. If it was GM's fault, I could argue getting it replaced with a new engine.

Regardless, there's no way for us to really know what happened yet. I am, however, looking forward to hearing the prognosis.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
camarogolfguy
Camarogolfguy

I pick it up tomorrow. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:33 AM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

sounds good. still interested in knowing what happened.