Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #29
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Drives: 2013 2ss 1le
Thanks guys for all the help
_Onyx_Wolf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #30
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
learned how2stick on my 1le also
be aware that you dont need to have the clutch 100% down or 100% up in order to shift in or out of gear. I like working within the 20-80% range
getting it rolling in 1st is the hardest part
just know this:
the clutch is a 'consumable' like your brake pads are a consumable. don't worry about keeping your foot on the clutch a little bit as you are accelerating in 1st gear. you might burn it a bit the first couple of days, don't worry about it though.

work on getting the car moving without any gas first. once you can do this over and over, you'll get a better feel for the car

there isn't a better way to learn than just going out and getting some seat time.
don't worry about being 'fast', that will come later
just worry about being 'smooth'

your first blip-downshift will make you feel awesome.
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #31
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Back when I first learned stick (not in my 1LE) the thing that I did that really made all the difference for me was get on a slightly slanted surface, let the car roll back and learn how to "catch" the car and stop it from rolling and make it roll back forward with no gas. Once I got the hang of that I was solid. This is the most critical thing for really learning what it feels like to be in the "sweet spot" of the pedal, and where that spot is in the pedal travel. When I taught my girlfriend in my 1LE she struggled at first. Once I got her on a slightly slanted surface to practice rolling back and forth she had it down in about 30 mins.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #32
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Drives: 2013 2ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCruisin View Post
learned how2stick on my 1le also
be aware that you dont need to have the clutch 100% down or 100% up in order to shift in or out of gear. I like working within the 20-80% range
getting it rolling in 1st is the hardest part
just know this:
the clutch is a 'consumable' like your brake pads are a consumable. don't worry about keeping your foot on the clutch a little bit as you are accelerating in 1st gear. you might burn it a bit the first couple of days, don't worry about it though.

work on getting the car moving without any gas first. once you can do this over and over, you'll get a better feel for the car

there isn't a better way to learn than just going out and getting some seat time.
don't worry about being 'fast', that will come later
just worry about being 'smooth'

your first blip-downshift will make you feel awesome.
Good stuff, I thought you had to give it gas when rolling or it would stall I'll try just letting out the clutch super slow and see if it rolls on its own. And yeah nothing like seat time is right but it's been raining like crazy the past few days but I'll give it a go anyway.
_Onyx_Wolf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #33
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Also even expert "stick shift" operators here have stalled this car on a slope due to the HSA (Hill Start Assist) feature. I recommend not learning to drive it (stopping) on hills until you are comfortable on normal level roads. If you have a steep driveway, You have no choice I guess (my HSA sometimes kicks in too only in a slight bump level driveway.)
Old 12-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #34
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
My first MT was about 20 years ago. It was about a year between my last stick shift and my 1LE. I still find it to be the most temperamental manual transmission I've ever driven even after 4000 miles. It's so unrefined IMO, noisy, clunky. It was almost like learning a MT all over again.
I love the sounds it makes... I like hearing the linkage move, the throw out bearing disengage, the mechanical sounds to me are awesome..
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #35
AzShadow
Ed S.

Drives: 2015 1LS V6 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1LE View Post
Back when I first learned stick (not in my 1LE) the thing that I did that really made all the difference for me was get on a slightly slanted surface, let the car roll back and learn how to "catch" the car and stop it from rolling and make it roll back forward with no gas. Once I got the hang of that I was solid. This is the most critical thing for really learning what it feels like to be in the "sweet spot" of the pedal, and where that spot is in the pedal travel. When I taught my girlfriend in my 1LE she struggled at first. Once I got her on a slightly slanted surface to practice rolling back and forth she had it down in about 30 mins.
Ha! I learned on an old 3 speed Corvair--my buddy took me out to the country, and said it was easy as pie. So--I took the wheel and going straight down the road was actually much easier than I thought. But then he had me turn on a side road, and all of a sudden I was facing a big uphill climb. No problem! I was 1/2 way up that hill when he said STOP! I didn't know what was wrong, so I stopped. Then he said, never mind, keep going. HA! HA! That was my 1st lesson. The 2nd lesson was getting that sweet spot where I wouldn't roll back or go forward---just like pressing the brakes. Best driving lesson I ever had.

AzShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #36
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
It took me awhile to get used to mine. My last manual was my 05 gto. It would be a piece of cake if the clutch didnt grab at the very top of the pedal travel.
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #37
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Is there anything wrong with starting from 2nd?
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #38
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Nope, I do it every now and then when traffic dictates it or driving in the snow. Just have to be careful not to slip the clutch too much.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #39
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post
Is there anything wrong with starting from 2nd?
Not at all. I do it all the time.

Nice to see I'm not the only one that thinks the pedal engagement/disengagement spot is stupidly high on the 1LE.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #40
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Nice to see I'm not the only one that thinks the pedal engagement/disengagement spot is stupidly high on the 1LE.
Would it cause me to burn has any faster?
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #41
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
My first MT was about 20 years ago. It was about a year between my last stick shift and my 1LE. I still find it to be the most temperamental manual transmission I've ever driven even after 4000 miles. It's so unrefined IMO, noisy, clunky. It was almost like learning a MT all over again.
+1

Been driving stick over 20 years as well, and this car single handedly stripped me of my black belt and sent me back to novice class.

Anyone who defines this cars tranny chemistry as "easy" just because low end torque works for you from 1500 rpm, and thus no stall, has not driven the vast array of European and Japanese cars, past and present with fine manual trannies. Sorry but you haven't.

That said, thus is a heavy duty unit, it's a heavy car with gobs of torque. Expecting Honda like shifting is ludicrous, but the BMW crowd might smirk a bit.

BMW set the standard for a heavier high performance car with awesome stick engagement back in the late 80's, with the E28.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #42
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:

High? That's relative. My 1LE, and my 2010 2SS feel to me like they're right off the floor.
You want high... drive a Jeep Wrangler...
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote