Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
The appearance is a factor when purchasing cars unfortunately. But for me honestly I hate being flooded by salesman. It's annoying and for me personally as soon as I walk in I ask for the most experience salesman there and that hasn't failed me lately. Quality over quantity.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
Same kind of experience for me here in Alberta. The local dealership here is a large volume mover of trucks and is probably #1 in Canada for that. So they obviously know how to sell vehicles.

I went down with my brother-in-law one day to look at Camaro's. We were there almost 2 hours and not a single salesman came over to ask us if we needed any help. Not impressed. Went down again a couple of weeks later, and the same thing. However after about an hour a salesman came up and asked if we needed anything. One of the Camaro's there was locked and I wanted to look in it. He said not a problem. He goes across the showroom, grabs the fob for the car and unlocks the doors. However he never comes back. Again, not impressed.

Next day I phone the Sales Manager (good friend of mine) and ask if they have been allocated a HWSE Camaro. He said they were not allocated one. I then proceeded to tell him about my bad experieces with the sales people the last two times I was down. He said he would make sure to talk to his staff.

Phoned another dealer in Sherwood Park (4 hours south of town) and they had allocation for one HWSE, so I put my deposit down. 2 weeks later the local dealer phones me wanting to know if I was still interested in the HWSE. I said I wasn't as I had already put my order in at a different dealer. My "friend" goes on to tell me that I should cancel that order and get the car through him as this other dealer does not contribute to the community, etc. I told him no because I have a truck that I take for service at his dealership, along with the car we bought for my wife. Also my parents have bought 4 vehicles from his Dad who owns the dealer over the years.
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I have been training car sales guys in the proper sales approach for 20 years. Just do this:

1. get your financing together before you go
2. Know what you want
3. Walk in and see the receptionist - ask for the "floor sales manager"
4. Tell him you are serious, have your financing and want one of the top three sales guys in the place.

be direct and get it done. Don't be a jerk and defensive - walk if you don't get what you want - don't argue - walk and find another that will get it done.

Of course the above does not always work, but it works the majority of the time...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
MichiganSRT
SRT and SS

Drives: 08' Jeep SRT8 / 13' 2SS Conv.
Being 23 and young looking at cars like SRT and ZL1 is what I loe to do, I love getting treated like shit, cause it really goes to show you never judge a book by its cover. I had a salesman, im not kidding, chuckle at me when I told him I was giving thought to ordering a ZL1 from them, I went to the bathroom and left immediately. Went back a few days later while on break with a friend in his car, Ferrari 458 Italia and made sure he saw me, look on his face, priceless .
MichiganSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
CSX4350

Drives: WAY too many to list
Gen=5, first let me say we are all proud of you and your sacrifice. There's a debt there that nobody can ever repay you.

That being said I feel your pain. I have about 20 cars, and usually buy and sell several cars a year. I deal with car sales people on a very regular basis. They have generally become the laziest bunch of people I have ever dealt with. Just last week I spoke to 3 sales people on the phone about a ZL1 they showed to have on their website. Not one of them could even be bothered to call me back to tell me if it was still available. I know for a fact one was, since I bought a different one from the same dealership and saw the one I had called on. I did refuse to buy from the sales person that never called me back though.
These experiences are just the ones on the phone, I usually dress in jeans, a t-shirt and tennis shoes and if I walk onto a dealers lot can't get a sales person to even look at me. I don't look like someone who can afford a new car, they don't seem to notice that I drove up in another new car. Sales people definitely make judgements on whether they "think" you can afford a car when they look at you, which is why I prefer to deal on the phone.

I refuse to work to give some salesperson my money, I require they work to EARN my business. My money spends just as well at any other dealership, I don't have to buy from someone who treats me like dirt.

You surely aren't alone.

2014 ZL1 Black M6
1969 Camaro ZZ502/T56 Cortez Silver W/Black Stripes
Too many others to list
CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #20
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I regret you had a bad experience at that dealership. I love reading the stories of some idiots that unfortunately work at dealerships. I have always walked onto a dealer lot in jeans or shorts and a t shirt. I have been shopping that way since 1985 when I purchased my first new vehicle a Ford F-150 4X4. I had a similar incident while getting replacement parts for my girlfriend's Tahoe. I had looked online on the Chevy website and noticed this small dealership had a black 2013 ZL1 which I was ready to buy. I walked around the car and the salesman came over after I attempted to open the door to look at the interior. It was locked. This car is on the showroom floor in front of the sales managers office. The salesman states they keep it locked to prevent people from "looking inside". He then asks the sales manager if he can unlock the car to show a customer. They unlock it and start on me about "it's a limited production car", no discount and maybe a markup since it's "limited production" etc. I told them that they are still producing them as I had been on Camaro 5 and was monitoring VIN numbers for new 2013 owners. I could tell they thought " Oh, he's not serious buyer".

They didn't know that I was already approved for the purchase thru my credit union, found my ZL1 at another dealership in my area. It was posted above about the dealership "working" for the sale, these guys did exactly that! I came back and parked it as close as possible for the sales manager to see along with the sales geek who was insulting to me. I walked in and gave then a bunch of feedback on treating customers better in the future. It was actually borderline racism and I told the sales manager that exactly. They were apologetic but way too late as I will never use that dealer to buy a car from! It is always said, "don't judge a book by it's cover".

Last edited by ZL1-V; 09-21-2013 at 10:54 AM.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
Camaro Fred
2012 ZL1 VIN 150

Drives: 1973 RS LT Camaro 4 Speed
Appearances are so overrated. I don't think it was your disability, I do think it had to do with how you were dressed. I wear clothes that are not good enough for a thrift store on the weekends, and I get no respect. What matters is not what is on your outside or even in your wallet, but what is inside. Glad you got your ZL1, you will enjoy it.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
there are a couple of things to mention to your original post.. the most important thing to start off with is that we (humans) have a natural repulsion to anyone with a disability.. second thing is if the TSA profiled people the way car salesmen do, we wouldn't have near the problems we do when we fly.. third is that I hope you weren't playing the pity card because you served in the military and were handicapped..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
DJ-Silver 2SS
Ah DJ-IOM ZL1 haha

Drives: 13 IOM ZL1 M6 & 10 SIM 2SS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-Silver 2SS
I completely agree. Why is it so many of us have had this same type of situation? When I returned from a 3 year tour in Korea this past February, I wanted to buy a ZL1, period. I was driving in my '10 2SS and I was looking. After looking online, I decided to stop by the local dealership to see what they had. I had my financing in order and was ready to go. My normal attire is golf like clothes, shorts and a polo shirt. None the less, I pulled up in my 2SS to the front door, got out of my car, walked around the lot, then walked into the show room. This whole time, no salesman greeted me. I saw that the dealership had the car I wanted, but I was slightly upset that no one even said anything to me, so I left not talking to anyone. I gave up that day, but went to the neighboring dealership and received the service that I was expecting and bought my car.

Of all things considered, my wife and I have bought cars from Ford, Chevrolet, BMW, and Toyota. As I have witnessed, BMW and Toyota have the best service I have ever had. The dealership I bought my ZL1 from is one of the best dealerships I have been in, but for a Chevrolet dealership, it seems to be against the norm...

Just my 2 cents.
2013 IOM ZL1 #002415 Born 09/13/12
2010 SIM 2SS/RS #005549 Born 05/02/09
DJ-Silver 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #24
qniknam
Account Suspended

Drives: 13 ZL1 | 13 SRT GC | 13 SRT CHARGER
Courtesy Chevrolet in Arizona wasted my time and called me a roach because I asked them for a discount on the ZL1 I simply asked for my GMS price minus the rebate. I then went to Sands Chevrolet in Glendale Arizona, I called before hand and spoke with the GM. He said come down, I said I'm on my way he called to check up on me, I told him I'm running a little behind, when I got there to my surprise the car was detailed. It was upfront, it took them 10 minutes to get the bank to approve it. I signed and left.

It's amazing how much proper management makes a different.
qniknam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #25
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by qniknam View Post
Courtesy Chevrolet in Arizona wasted my time and called me a roach because I asked them for a discount on the ZL1 I simply asked for my GMS price minus the rebate. I then went to Sands Chevrolet in Glendale Arizona, I called before hand and spoke with the GM. He said come down, I said I'm on my way he called to check up on me, I told him I'm running a little behind, when I got there to my surprise the car was detailed. It was upfront, it took them 10 minutes to get the bank to approve it. I signed and left.

It's amazing how much proper management makes a different.
You are missing out on the 13 GT500 thou !!!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
qniknam
Account Suspended

Drives: 13 ZL1 | 13 SRT GC | 13 SRT CHARGER
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
You are missing out on the 13 GT500 thou !!!
I was considering it but I really like to turn the steering wheel and not die... Lol...
qniknam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #27
DonNC

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS/2012 ZL1
I make a point of dressing like a " bum" whenever I go to a dealership. After walking around and sitting in a dealers showroom for an hour, I left, went to another dealership, bought their truck, then drove back to the first dealership to show them the truck they could have sold me. I love it!
DonNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #28
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post
So...we've got salesmen who won't come out of the building but what about salesmen who JUMP at the sight of a car on the lot.
A couple of years ago I stopped at a local dealer to pick up something that I'd ordered from the parts department. To get to the parts door, you have to drive around back of the building and around the main car lot. I pull on the lot and down a short drive that gets you up to the main building, turn the first corner to get around back to the parts dept, and a salesman walks out the side door of the building and right into the isle I have to drive through. He walks right in front of my car, puts his hand up (as if to say: STOP), walks to the side of my car, and says "is there something I can do for you?".....
To which I politely respond, "Yes, you can get out of my so that I can get back to the parts department to pick up something that I ordered."
"Would you like to take a look at any cars?"
"If I did, I would have stopped to look at one. Or maybe even called ahead. Is it ok if I go pick up my part now?"
To which he says nothing, and backs away from the car.
Sounds a lot like Reliable Chevrolet in Richardson.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote