Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS

Drives: Yellow 2SS, '06 Evo IX
Question Nitrous + Otherwise Stock?

Anyone running any kind of Nitrous system on their otherwise stock car? I am pretty curious as to what improvements people have been seeing. Maybe if you could include the Brand of system, hp shot size, and type of system (wet, dry, direct), it would give a broader view of the effect.

The next person who assumes that my car belongs to my boyfriend/husband is gonna be on the receiving end of some hot hell! I'm a girl dammit, not a preschooler!

Can someone tell me why so many Domestic owners hate Imports? Esp Japanese?
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
Rob Hancock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Hi, The only engine mod i have is a Rotofab cold air intake. I just bought the ZEX 175 horsepower kit. Im planning on installing it this morning. The instructions say about 2 hours to install. Also said not to use more than the 75hp jets without a computer tune. I have to send it out to be tuned for nitrous. The tune for nitrous has to remove timing. To run the 175 hp shot the tune has to remove 5 degrees of timing so the engine doesnt run lean. I'll start with the 75 hp shot and the excitement of that will last about 5 minutes, knowing my addiction to everything I do. Then i'm sure the next day I'll be callin the local tuning shop. I'll let you know as soon as I try it out. Rob
Rob Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Don't forget the improvement to GM...they no longer have to warranty your powertrain.
...just a word of caution.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hancock View Post
Hi, The only engine mod i have is a Rotofab cold air intake. I just bought the ZEX 175 horsepower kit. Im planning on installing it this morning. The instructions say about 2 hours to install. Also said not to use more than the 75hp jets without a computer tune. I have to send it out to be tuned for nitrous. The tune for nitrous has to remove timing. To run the 175 hp shot the tune has to remove 5 degrees of timing so the engine doesnt run lean. I'll start with the 75 hp shot and the excitement of that will last about 5 minutes, knowing my addiction to everything I do. Then i'm sure the next day I'll be callin the local tuning shop. I'll let you know as soon as I try it out. Rob
huh? u mean the increase of cylinder pressure will surely cause pre-ignition that could blow out piston rings and other bottom end parts if its not retuned with less timing. Unless you are running a dry shot, which I didnt know many people did anymore, you shouldn't be running lean.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
From what I have read they recommend 2 degrees retard for every 50 so a 175 shot should have the tune retarded by 7 degrees. If it is a wet shot the jet(pill) size is what you use to adjust fuel. Also, it seems that 150 is pretty safe but 200 is pushing the envelope a little. OK if done correctly though.

Consider getting a COS(Custom Operating System) so you can have a tune for N/A then switch to a nitrous tune without having to re-flash or re-tune again when you want to spray. Otherwise you will have a nitrous tune with less timing for N/A.

DO IT.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Even the 75 Shot is going to have the Knock sensors going crazy.

The Knock sensors are active with no mods, GM has these engines running on the edge all the time.

I can give you a timing map that will be more NOS Freindly.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS

Drives: Yellow 2SS, '06 Evo IX
Keep me posted!

Quote:

The next person who assumes that my car belongs to my boyfriend/husband is gonna be on the receiving end of some hot hell! I'm a girl dammit, not a preschooler!

Can someone tell me why so many Domestic owners hate Imports? Esp Japanese?
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
Rob Hancock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Thanks for the info. Ted, when I get the kit installed I'll call you to make an appt to bring it in for a tune. What are your thoughts on that COS (Custom Operating System). What will the cost of the tune be vs the COS. Thanks, Rob
Rob Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Ted, when I get the kit installed I'll call you to make an appt to bring it in for a tune. What are your thoughts on that COS (Custom Operating System). What will the cost of the tune be vs the COS. Thanks, Rob
You must be lurking on the EFI live forums.

COS is a tool to Faster tune a difficult vehicle, Totally not necessary in your case.

Call me we will talk price over the phone, Rules you know

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #10
Lightninquick

Drives: (.)(.)'s
can you retard timing on the fly?
Lightninquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:53 AM   #11
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightninquick View Post
can you retard timing on the fly?

using something like the Harris Speedworks Interface, yes you can. I ran a HSW set up on my old 94 z28 which was great because i could tune the car for max NA power, and then have the interface pull timing and add fuel only when spraying, that way i didnt have to run a n2o tune all the time, im still trying to decide if im gonna spray with this car or run a tt set up, eitherway it's gonna be a while (still under warantee). But you can be sure that when i do run n2o on any of my rides i will be using the HSW stuff, the interface and microedge were a kick ass combo on my 94, allowed for a very safe and very stealth set up
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RY M6- LOVIN' it
Kooks LT's & HFC's, Flowmaster Single chamber mufflers, C.A.I. Intake, ADM Scoop, Rotofab w/w relocate

Semper Paratus

You have to go out You don't have to come back!!!
evilbeef54 is offline   Reply With Quote