Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
machina

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Too cold to wash! :(

So it's about to be that time of the year where it is simply too cold to wash. I won't let it go through one of those brush car washes. Did that with my previous car and when the sun hit it.. you could see swirl marks all over. With that being said, how bad are touchless car washes? There is one close to me that does a hell of a job. It's not something I will be doing every few days or anything, but maybe for those weeks where it is just freezing. What do ya'll think?
machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by machina View Post
So it's about to be that time of the year where it is simply too cold to wash. I won't let it go through one of those brush car washes. Did that with my previous car and when the sun hit it.. you could see swirl marks all over. With that being said, how bad are touchless car washes? There is one close to me that does a hell of a job. It's not something I will be doing every few days or anything, but maybe for those weeks where it is just freezing. What do ya'll think?
The major problem with touch less is the severity of the chemicals they use. They strip most waxes and sealants, leaving your paint vulnerable.

The other main problem is people thinking they truly clean the car. Then they go rubbing on it to dry or apply wax or something. Those car washes do not get you a level of clean that would allow you to touch the paint.

So, as long as you don't towel dry or buff on the paint, you probably won't cause any direct damage from using a touch less. You just need to understand that you're now more vulnerable to salt and crap from the roads.

One option to consider is a rinseless wash. You can fill a bucket with hot water and do your rinse less wash in the garage. Still won't be pleasant, but tolerable and a better option IMO. That's what I'll be doing this winter.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
The Touch-less environment friendly car washes are the safe ones to use. The car wash I use sometimes, switched to a more friendly/safe soap like Blue Coral. So they have caught on to how these chemicals work.
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
just hand washed my SS in the mid 30's, if the water doesn't freeze I do it when needed!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
You used to be in Texas, correct?

Ever regret moving up to snow country?

Wishing you guys up north the best for the winter, and I am not much luckier here in VA.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
The major problem with touch less is the severity of the chemicals they use. They strip most waxes and sealants, leaving your paint vulnerable.

The other main problem is people thinking they truly clean the car. Then they go rubbing on it to dry or apply wax or something. Those car washes do not get you a level of clean that would allow you to touch the paint.

So, as long as you don't towel dry or buff on the paint, you probably won't cause any direct damage from using a touch less. You just need to understand that you're now more vulnerable to salt and crap from the roads.

One option to consider is a rinseless wash. You can fill a bucket with hot water and do your rinse less wash in the garage. Still won't be pleasant, but tolerable and a better option IMO. That's what I'll be doing this winter.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
You used to be in Texas, correct?

Ever regret moving up to snow country?

Wishing you guys up north the best for the winter, and I am not much luckier here in VA.

Jim
Yes sir.

And I regret it every single day. Michigan is an armpit.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Come on down to VA, I need a good detail. And you I could trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Yes sir.

And I regret it every single day. Michigan is an armpit.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
RedCamaroZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I'm storing my car this winter, but I'm the past with other cars, I go to the quarter car wash. Use their hose to knock off the major stuff, wheel wells, and then use my own bucket and sponge to wash the whole car. Then rinse at the end with plain water from their hose. Be careful if ice starts to form tho. I have fallen before, luckily I was about 19 and didn't hurt myself. Wouldn't be so lucky today.
I then pull out to dry off with a good MF towel. Worked for me to get through Michigan winters. Good luck!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Using a bucket full of hot bath water should make a car wash bearable in the middle of winter. Works for me anyways.

Last edited by 45thAnniversary2SS; 12-02-2013 at 09:31 AM.
45thAnniversary2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I use a rinseless car wash. I'll stop by the DIY car wash on my way home and hose off the car with just water, then drive home and do the rinseless wash with warm water from the house.

Also, wear rubber gloves! If your hands stay dry, it's not too terrible. However you may need 2-3 drying cloths, as the cold weather makes it hard for the cloths to dry while you are drying the car.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
Using a bucket full of hot bath water should make a car wash bearable in the middle of winter. Works for me anyways.
This works for me too as long as the hose is not frozen for rinsing.
I wish I had put a hot water spicket in the garage when I built my house years ago.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I use a rinseless car wash. I'll stop by the DIY car wash on my way home and hose off the car with just water, then drive home and do the rinseless wash with warm water from the house.

Also, wear rubber gloves! If your hands stay dry, it's not too terrible. However you may need 2-3 drying cloths, as the cold weather makes it hard for the cloths to dry while you are drying the car.
I do the exact same in our daily drivers works well

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I was able to do the two bucket wash this weekend as it got to 40 degrees. As long as my hose isn't frozen I can do the washes by filling the buckets full of warm water.

The drying and detail spray is what got my hands cold, but I could dunk them in the warm water while doing it.

In the winters past I just go to the car wash with the quarters I saved all year to spray it when the car gets salty. The worst days are the days after a snow storm when the roads are wet (salt water).

Oh and if you have the defenderworx backup light bezels, remove them, they will corrode like crazy. The chrome running light ones are fine though.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
At least you are able to wash your car in your drive way. I haven't been able to do this for over 3 years now due to drought restrictions! Have to drive to the corner DIY car wash.....trunk full of adams goodies when i do it though. Waterless wash has been a blessing!

We just went to stage 4 restrictions which means you cant even water your lawn or turn on a hose outside. How ****ing stupid is that!
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote