Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #155
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpball44 View Post
Who should i ask for?
You have to ask that question?
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #156
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
You have to ask that question?
lol haha yea....

I dont want to just walk up there and say... someone told me to come here on camaro 5 fourms lol haha.

Seems a bit more professional to ask for the persons name that i should talk too.
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #157
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
lol haha yea....

I dont want to just walk up there and say... someone told me to come here on camaro 5 fourms lol haha.

Seems a bit more professional to ask for the persons name that i should talk too.
Here you go... It's the one without the hair... :-)
The big Joey Granatelli
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #158
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Here you go... It's the one without the hair... :-)
The big Joey Granatelli
O yeah duhhh lol haha thanks.

Also want to know who wrote.. come see them at SEMA in the post. Was wondering if that was joey or one of the people that work at granatelli.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #159
MIAPLAYA

Drives: cHEVY
Based on the video I saw for the Camaro kit on Facebook this thing is going to be interesting. I just got into Vegas for SEMA so expect a lot more pictures over the next few days.

MIAPLAYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #160
MIAPLAYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS View Post
Great looking kit guys...

so for us in CA we now have 3 FI options...

-TVS 2300
-STS rear twins
-and TURBONETICS....

am i missing someone?
Are sure about STS? I don't think it's CARB legal
Old 11-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #161
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
lol haha yea....

Joe Granatelli
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #162
norris_83

Drives: Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06
Sorry, dnt known if this has been asked, but how large in diameter is the down pipe? What kind of power can we expect with this kit on let's say 15-18psi? What restrictions would this kit actually have, if any for that much boost?
norris_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #163
MIAPLAYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by norris_83 View Post
Sorry, dnt known if this has been asked, but how large in diameter is the down pipe? What kind of power can we expect with this kit on let's say 15-18psi? What restrictions would this kit actually have, if any for that much boost?
The compressor and turbine are good for 1000 HP of air easily. On this car with the LS motor I would guess you could hit 1000 HP at 18-20 PSI easily provided the motor could stay together. I think the limiting factor right now might be the cats for that much power as I'm sure you'll eat them alive with as much fuel as it would take to make 1000 HP. You might start running into backpressure issues at that much power as well although there's no way to tell for sure without trying. The downpipe is 3" at it's narrowest point and is mostly 3.5" to the split.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #164
Granatelli
Account Suspended

---

Last edited by Granatelli; 01-09-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #165
norris_83

What I like about the turbonetics kit is that we can install aftermarket headers (2" arh) which would really help with the back pressure issue, but a 3" dp no matter if it's at one bend or connection point "y-pipe" to the exhaust is still a restriction and will limit power output. Also with their setup it doesn't seem there is a lot of free space to increase the dp without things getting in each others way.

For sure this will be done on a built block with the proper fueling needs guaranteed and deffinately no cats, I'm not looking for something carb legal, or else I'd be on the market for a prius! I prefer a single over twins, one of the contributing factors of me looking into a camaro over a c6.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #166
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Quote:
What I like about the Turbonetics kit is that we can install aftermarket headers (2" arh) which would really help with the back pressure issue,.
Hate to be the bearer of bad new but headers will not help and the stock exhaust manifolds are NOT holding the car back – that is just plain old school thinking (or should I say misunderstanding). Issue with any turbo system is the A/R also known aka Turbine or Exhaust Turbine. The biggest headers in the world do not fix that. There is no drawback to the turbo system. WE (too many of you) keep looking at the stock manifolds as holding the car back – it is not.

Quote:
, but a 3" dp no matter if it's at one bend or connection point "y-pipe" to the exhaust is still a restriction and will limit power output.
Not even a 3” or 4” DP (down pipe) addresses the concern you state. We are not talking about a Honda with 1 2.5 or 3” pipe – unless you are talking about the Turbonetics kit only. Twins have twice the exhaust output because they split the load. You can make well over 800 HP with one 3” DP off a 76mm turbo with minimal measurable back pressure.

Quote:
What I like about the Turbonetics kit is that we can install aftermarket headers (2" arh) which would really help with the back pressure issue, but a 3" dp no matter if it's at one bend or connection point "y-pipe" to the exhaust is still a restriction and will limit power output. Also with their setup it doesn't seem there is a lot of free space to increase the dp without things getting in each others way.

For sure this will be done on a built block with the proper fueling needs guaranteed and definitely no cats, I'm not looking for something carb legal, or else I'd be on the market for a prius! I prefer a single over twins, one of the contributing factors of me looking into a Camaro over a c6.
Here we agree 101% - as shipped by Turbonetics, the system already looks like the exhaust pipe is dragging on the crank pulley. Even the car they had at SEMA was touching

At SEMA their pipe was touching (dragging) on the A/C compressor

Quote:
For sure this will be done on a built block with the proper fueling needs guaranteed and definitely no cats, I'm not looking for something carb legal, or else I'd be on the market for a prius! I prefer a single over twins, one of the contributing factors of me looking into a Camaro over a c6.
So here is my question to you – WHY would anyone prefer a single turbo over twins? I single CAN’T make the power of a twin system. It is hard to mount a big honk’n turbo anywhere proper. Plus the heat off 1 turbo big enough to keep up with 2 65mm turbo would be more like triple
Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 AM   #167
norris_83

Interesting, you saying the stock manifolds won't be a limiting factor later down the line? On a cam/heads project, stock manifolds are a limiting factor?

I was talking about the turbonetics 3" dp. Haven't seen your kit in detail yet to see any pro or faults, maybe you could post up some clear pics like this thread.

Why on earth would there be extra heat on a single turbo setup compared to a twin? There is no parasitic loss to create friction on a single bigger turbo, and both setups are run by the exhaust? On a twin there would actually be more, 2 dps, 2 exhaust turbines and 2 turbos sharing one intercooler or 2 intercoolers half the size of on large one.

I know lag would be a problem, but seriously when your street racing how often are your revs below 3500rpm?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #168
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post

Here we agree 101% - as shipped by Turbonetics, the system already looks like the exhaust pipe is dragging on the crank pulley. Even the car they had at SEMA was touching

At SEMA their pipe was touching (dragging) on the A/C compressor

Dont worry they dont touch lol. Why would they sell a kit to everyone if the pipes are rubbing on the pulleys lol. Im pretty sure they are smart enough to make them not touch. I got mine installed and there is no rubbing or clearance issues. They didn't have a car at SEMA this year by the way. That was probably a pre-production kit like what was on my car a while back.