Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #29
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
This should get interesting
Old 10-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #30
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
wow, that is awesome. I'll have to mess around with it. would be great to put the xbox and computer on the 5Ghz band.
Unfortunately, my PS3 can't connect to the 5Ghz band. Let me know if the 360 picks it up!
Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #31
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
under 20 Mbps i had a few problems streaming video and stuff but since I got over 30 I have had no problems. Guess more is always better but unless you are pulling huge files and dont want to wait for them I dont see any problems with the speed you are getting. But yes I would try lowering your service back down dont need to pay for 100Mbps service if you are only capable of 3? something just flushing money down the information superhighway.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #32
LoneStar

Quote:
The modem/router combo I bought advertises up to 340Mbps download speed. it also says up to 300 + 300Mbps, assuming that's for each band. I know i'll never get that much, or ever need that much, but I over bought since I figured it's better to have too much than not enough. lol It's also DOCSIS 3.0 and 802.11n. From all the reviews, it seemed like a good purchase.

As for the wireless computer and not being A/B/G, i'm not sure what that means. The wireless card in my dell is an IntelŪ Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth 4.0, if that helps.
The A/B/G are standards in Wifi (simple explanation: they are the different types of wireless connections the computer can make over wifi). In addition to the A, B, and G, there are also the faster N and AC connections now, which your computer's network card can connect through (I.e. Your computer can connect to all of them). Your router can connect to A, B, and G through the 2.4 Ghz band, and to the N on the 5Ghz band. So you connect to the higher 300 Mbps like advertised on the router, you'll have to be connected to the 5 Ghz band.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #33
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
Quote:
The modem/router combo I bought advertises up to 340Mbps download speed. it also says up to 300 + 300Mbps, assuming that's for each band. I know i'll never get that much, or ever need that much, but I over bought since I figured it's better to have too much than not enough. lol It's also DOCSIS 3.0 and 802.11n. From all the reviews, it seemed like a good purchase.

As for the wireless computer and not being A/B/G, i'm not sure what that means. The wireless card in my dell is an IntelŪ Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth 4.0, if that helps.
Hi! Have you tried plugging it directly onto the LAN port? Try that first to see if you get the speed that you wanted.

Have you set your modem to broadcast at 5GHz? Wireless AC card work solely on 5GHz channel.

Wireless AC is backward compatible with N/A/B/G so don't worry about that part.

Here is an article to better understand your wireless technology.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...the-difference
VeeGeeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #34
LoneStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Unfortunately, my PS3 can't connect to the 5Ghz band. Let me know if the 360 picks it up!
Just re-read that you have your Xbox One hard wired to the modem. Keep it hardwired, that's a far better connection than wifi.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #35
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGeeTea View Post
Hi! Have you tried plugging it directly onto the LAN port? Try that first to see if you get the speed that you wanted.

Have you set your modem to broadcast at 5GHz? Wireless AC card work solely on 5GHz channel.

Wireless AC is backward compatible with N/A/B/G so don't worry about that part.

Here is an article to better understand your wireless technology.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...the-difference
Connecting the laptop via Ethernet to the modem will be the first thing I do. I will also read how to set up the modem to broadcast at 5Ghz. Although if a wireless ac card only works on 5Ghz, then it must be set up that way, because the internet works on the wireless computer.

Quote:
Just re-read that you have your Xbox One hard wired to the modem. Keep it hardwired, that's a far better connection than wifi.
oh, ok. didn't know the 2.4 and 5 were for wifi only. thanks.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #36
PoorMansCamaro

ok, just to clear up something, in case there is confusion, I have a laptop that's probably a good 5 years old and a new dell xps18 all in one pc/tablet. the dell does not have an Ethernet port, so I can't connect that directly to the modem. I would need an Ethernet to usb adaptor. I just ran a few wireless speed tests and it shows 46Mbps download on the Cox website with 12Mbps upload. On Speedtest.net, it shows about 47Mbps download and 28Mbps upload. Very odd, but not really interested in upload, since I never really upload anything.

I then connected the laptop directly to the modem and ran a few speed tests and it kept on giving me 21Mbps download and 30 upload. I made sure I tuned off wifi, so i'm not sure what's up. lol Would the internals of the laptop reduce bandwidth if connected with a cable?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #37
LoneStar

Quote:
Connecting the laptop via Ethernet to the modem will be the first thing I do. I will also read how to set up the modem to broadcast at 5Ghz. Although if a wireless ac card only works on 5Ghz, then it must be set up that way, because the internet works on the wireless computer.

heres a link to the owners manual. http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil..._21Aug2014.pdf
Go to page 54 and follow the directions under "Specify Basic Wifi Settings." Mainly, what you need to do is --after logging in-- go to point 10 and change the the mode to "300 Mbps" (by default it is set set 145 Mbps).

The ac card is dual band so it works on 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz; A, B, and G (possibly N) use the 2.4 Ghz band and the AC and N use 5Ghz. It allows the card to be flexible and connect with any wireless access point.

oh, ok. didn't know the 2.4 and 5 were for wifi only. thanks.
Yeah those are the frequencies that the wifi data is being transmitted. Hardwiring on that modem has a theoretical 1,000 Mbps data transmission (Gigabit).
Old 10-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #38
LoneStar

Quote:
ok, just to clear up something, in case there is confusion, I have a laptop that's probably a good 5 years old and a new dell xps18 all in one pc/tablet. the dell does not have an Ethernet port, so I can't connect that directly to the modem. I would need an Ethernet to usb adaptor. I just ran a few wireless speed tests and it shows 46Mbps download on the Cox website with 12Mbps upload. On Speedtest.net, it shows about 47Mbps download and 28Mbps upload. Very odd, but not really interested in upload, since I never really upload anything.

I then connected the laptop directly to the modem and ran a few speed tests and it kept on giving me 21Mbps download and 30 upload. I made sure I tuned off wifi, so i'm not sure what's up. lol Would the internals of the laptop reduce bandwidth if connected with a cable?
That is weird! Is it using the same location on speed test?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #39
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Yeah those are the frequencies that the wifi data is being transmitted. Hardwiring on that modem has a theoretical 1,000 Mbps data transmission (Gigabit).
ok, I went in there, but mine were already set to "up to 300Mbps", but what I did find was the username and password of the 5Ghz band. and boy, did that work!

85Mbps download baby!!! Thanks a lot guys!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #40
PoorMansCamaro

another speed test of 112Mbps! Cookin with grease now!!!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #41
LoneStar

Quote:
ok, I went in there, but mine were already set to "up to 300Mbps", but what I did find was the username and password of the 5Ghz band. and boy, did that work!

85Mbps download baby!!! Thanks a lot guys!
That's awesome!! Congrats!!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #42
PoorMansCamaro

Ok, so a little update. Everything seems to be running fine with the Dell XPS wifi connection. I'm a little laggy with the iphone4s when i'm in the bedroom. The modem/router is located on the furthest corner in the living room away from the master bedroom. so the speed in there is not the greatest. Especially when my other half is streaming video for school in the living room, I am in the bedroom trying to watch hulu or play online games on my phone. I did a speed test on the phone and I would get anywhere from 0.xx - 2.xx Mbps download. With the iphone4s, it is only able to connect to the 2.4Ghz band, so I think if I can upgrade to an iphone5s or even the new 6 and connect to the 5Ghz band, that would work.

I was also thinking about getting a wifi signal booster. Any insight on those? Should I stick to a netgear brand, since that's the modem/router I have, or anyone suggest a better brand, or even a better option?