Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
elarson5757
Obsessed and Loving It...

Drives: 2013 1LE-SS
Grill Lights

Anyone happen to take pics of where exactly in or behind the grill you mounted your LED strips that worked really well? Did you use one strip or two, etc?
elarson5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Mine are mounted to the radiator side of the crash bar. You can see the zip ties in this pic that are holding it on. I currently have one RGB strip, but have run 2 previously and the light output wasn't much different.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I did pretty much the same thing as Deke, but behind the crash bar, I made a shield to fit in the gap between the bar and radiator. I placed a 3 ft. LED strip behind the crash bar above and below the shield so I can have a different color upper and lower grill. I did this to prevent color mixing. I never tested without the shield, so I'm not sure if it's necessary or not.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Nice idea for the shield, and I would expect that you would see some blending without it doing dual-color. I think most folks are attaching to the back of the crash bar as shown (most use the adhesive, but also use zip ties for added security - which I strongly recommend - in fact, with zip ties, adhesive is not needed).

Generally would suggest installing them about an inch from the top of the crash, but would love to know what spacing was used and what materials used for the shield?
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
I would definitely recommend using a few zip ties along with the adhesive on the back of the strips. Make sure you prep the surface (50/50 water / alcohol mix) to ensure it adheres properly.

2 strips is really all you'll need IMO

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
2 strips is really all you'll need IMO

Nick C.
Agreed, though forgot to say so in earlier post. You can get by with one strip, but will be much happier with the brightness and coverage with two.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote