Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
JGS

Drives: 2015 2SS LS3 NPP/1LE/ Red Hot
anyone with a dash camera?

I want to install and hardwire a dash camera in the camaro mainly for protection purposes against thieves or vandals or when a cop pulls you over and hopefully never happens but if an accident happens. Anybody has one installed and any recommendations on which products would be the best and descent priced? any pics of installation or/and camera?
ive seen a few on ebay and

http://www.kmph.ca/products/car-dash-camera/

i was just wondering if any of you has something similar..

thanks!
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
I have the DVR-027, its not perm mounted and only runs when I have the ignition on, its pretty good during the day and ok during the night, for less than 100 bucks its very good (picked it up at a Loves truck stop).

It runs continuously, rolls over when the SD card is full, I have it set to record 1080P and it produces 2 min clips, good enough to capture any events, also has a small LCD screen so you can see what you are recording...

Here is a link to some video that was shot when I had it running during a trip to Missouri I took.

http://youtu.be/kMm9kwnwCJQ
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I've been looking at them for a while and will probably get the Garmin dash-cam 20 when they're out in March.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
while we're on this topic, where can I pick up a red and blue light bar for the top of my car?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
Mannsiam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
I think the only camera I will mount is the go pro when I track my car.

Yeah Im a Chevy Guy. 11 Silverado, 12 Malibu, 14 Camaro 1LE
Mannsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Titan

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGS View Post
when a cop pulls you over !
LOL, I would venture to guess that most cops will throw out the option of giving you a warning when they discover you are recording them.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
LOL, I would venture to guess that most cops will throw out the option of giving you a warning when they discover you are recording them.
You're a cop lol
Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
Titan

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubscamaro View Post
You're a cop lol
Ha ha. You got me!
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
davidmk001

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1SS
I think that it’s worth having IMO. As you mention the fact that it would be good for protection purposes, I am brought back to think of an incident. There was this scum-bag here in Toronto who would drive across the 401 (which is the main artery highway to get across the city) in rush hour. What this idiot would do is find a spot of stop/go traffic and come to a stop. The driver behind would do the same. He would then throw his car in reverse and hit the guy behind him. At this point they get out and he claims they hit him. (All while having his car packed with about 3-4 of his buddies). He would give them the option of either pay me $500 for the damage ‘they’ caused, or he’d charge it through their insurance causing their premiums to sky-rocket ….

One guy he did this too actually had a cam and exposed him for fraud. That alone makes it a great investment in my book. Can you image this happened to any of you? I would have probably killed him at the side of the road to be honest if they tried to pull this on me!

Actually I was able to find this.
http://ca.autoblog.com/2012/02/14/da...ollision-scam/

Last edited by davidmk001; 02-04-2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: adding video
davidmk001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Freyguy08

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS
I have a GoPro that I will throw somewhere on the car if I'm going for a long ride. My reason isn't really cop related (I don't usually get tickets once they see my gear) but more for some of the stupid stuff I see people do on the road. It got to the point where people wouldn't believe me so I figured I have the GoPro, might as well use it.

Comin' in hot!
Freyguy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
I just recently installed a Lukas 7900 ACE, and like it a lot. (I will try to post some pictures tomorrow) Most of the dashcams out there are made in Korea, and some of them that are sold only in Korea right now are starting to show up with provisions for OBD2 overlays with TPS, steering angle, and RPM among others. It should just be a matter of time before we see ones like that available here. Here is a link to some video from the 7900 ARA with the OBD2 information along the bottom.
Make sure you select 1080p and full screen when viewing it to get an idea of the quality of the video it produces.

Also here are some links to different websites that review dashcams.

http://www.carcamcentral.com/
http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/
http://dashcamtalk.com/
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 AM   #12
Felone

Drives: Audi A8
I installed this mini camera( http://www.szswill.com/car-camera-hd...mera-d310.html) on about last Auguest, half a year passed so far so good, for easy wiring you can source for the kind that the camera integrated into the rearview mirror, that might be a better choice.
Felone is offline   Reply With Quote