Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #29
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
I can't thank everyone enough for all the replies so far - you're insights are great to hear. And please, keep 'em coming.

I should probably explain my situation a bit further:

As I said in an earlier post, I don't have kids. Nor am I married, so I don't have to deal with a spouse who may or may not like the Camaro. I'm the only one I have to please.

My commute to work isn't very far. About 11 miles one way (22 round trip), all of which is done on street routes, although I do sometimes (very seldom) take the highway. All the highway miles I do put on my car, however, are during long haul trips from Detroit to Toronto where my family lives. I tend to head up there around once a month to visit although sometimes I go more often depending on the time of year (spring/summer months).

I have no interest in getting an SS for several reasons. First and foremost of which is that if I went with an SS, it would be a 1LE car and there is no way I would ever drive that in the winter! Which means I would need a daily driver. Second is the fuel economy - not so much in city driving because my commute isn't very long, but more for highway travels.

As a result of my travels to visit family, 2011 Cruze ECO currently has just over 60,000 miles on the clock. So it's getting to the point where I need to decide whether to trade it in, or hold on to it for the long-haul. And while the Cruze has been very reliable, and terrific on fuel economy, it's where boring went to die with respect to driving excitement. Which is why I'm considering the Camaro LS as a daily driver.

I think what's holding me back is fact that I don't have a car payment at the moment, and it's kinda nice not to have one - all I pay on the Cruze is a monthly insurance premium. If I were to go with the 1LS, the insurance premium would only be a few dollars more (literally, $7/month more). But there would also be that pesky monthly finance payment...
It's not that bad, I'm a college kid and wait tables part time I saved up 10 grand and used that as a down payment on a new 14 1ls. I don't have mic credit being only 23 but the little I had was decent (financed a laptop at best buy prior) so I'm not sure if that actually helped or not lol. But my note is 238.50 a month for 4 years and I'm on track to finish it in 2 1/2 years. Idk how much your putting down but cash is KING

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #30
SCH

Drives: 2011 Cruze ECO
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
It's not that bad, I'm a college kid and wait tables part time I saved up 10 grand and used that as a down payment on a new 14 1ls. I don't have mic credit being only 23 but the little I had was decent (financed a laptop at best buy prior) so I'm not sure if that actually helped or not lol. But my note is 238.50 a month for 4 years and I'm on track to finish it in 2 1/2 years. Idk how much your putting down but cash is KING
I'm not putting much down out of my pocket; most of the down payment is actually coming from the trade-in of my Cruze plus incentives. If I go ahead with the deal, it'll come out to $225/month for 48 months. The dollar amount itself isn't the issue, it's the fact of having a car payment that I can't get over right now. Like I said, it's nice not having that car payment every month.
SCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #31
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
I went from a 2009 Pontiac G5 (Cobalt) to a '13 Camaro 2LS....and then a 14 1LS for a daily driver, winter and all.
I do an 80 mile a day commute in the snow belt of Cleveland Ohio.

The Cruze is probably great in the snow.
To be honest, the 1LS isnt bad either, seeing that you can feed it some clutch to get it out of tight spots and drifts, and "second gear it" out of the higher snow. My driveway is a hill, so I have to finess my approach to my driveway when the snow gets deep.
The 1LS has the advantage of positraction where my 2LS didn't.

And that's on the stock 18 inch tires.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #32
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
Quote:
I'm not putting much down out of my pocket; most of the down payment is actually coming from the trade-in of my Cruze plus incentives. If I go ahead with the deal, it'll come out to $225/month for 48 months. The dollar amount itself isn't the issue, it's the fact of having a car payment that I can't get over right now. Like I said, it's nice not having that car payment every month.
I was in a similar boat in January. I had a 2008 Cobalt I had paid off for a couple years. My parents ended up totalling their car and I was able to justify an upgrade by selling them mine for cheap. I test drove the new Cruze and honestly it was more boring to drive than my Cobalt was. It sucked the first few months having a car payment again, but well worth it! My daily commute is the same as yours and its so much more fun.

I am also from a snow state in Ohio so I can comment on the winter driving. This car really is a lot better in snow than you would think. I find the all season tires to be sufficient. The only issue I ever really found was getting going from a stop when its icy (traction control issue really). Just drive slow where needed and you will be fine. These cars also dont have a lot of clearence so in the neighborhoods that havent been plowed its a challenge when several inches are on the road. Thankfully for me the really bad days I can work from home or take the wifey's element....which is infinitely more boring than a cobalt/cruze.
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #33
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Quote:
I hear you. And in every respect, you're correct - if you had gone with an RS package car, it should have been far less expensive for you in the end.

For myself, however, I don't really care for HIDs, HUD (I've driven a car with HUD, and I found it more distracting than useful), or leather seats. I could see myself upgrading to a MyLink system at some point in the future, but even that isn't a big deal, and I would probably only do it if I found a great deal on an OEM unit.
Gotcha. Then I think the 1LS is perfect. And like someone else above me said, I'd take the base model Camaro, which I thin is nice, over a fully loaded accord.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:34 AM   #34
crc91

Oh I gotcha man well honestly a mid two hundred car note for two years could easily be paid back in a year if you budget correctly. I mean idk your financial situation and it's none of my business but I've seen people trade in with a high car note for a long time just to get the v6 so I think your in a great situation to make the trade up honestly

Old 11-24-2014, 01:42 AM   #35
rudySS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
my advise is your spending the money so might as well just get an SS why goof around
rudySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #36
crc91

Well if he's trying to get something new and isn't putting down a bunch of cash it'll be hard to get a SS for the note he's been offered on the new v6. Either way OP you can't go wrong have you test driven a new 1LS yet?

Old 11-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #37
vicnkathy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester Turbo
One slow car for another one. Why bother?
vicnkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #38
SCH

Quote:
Oh I gotcha man well honestly a mid two hundred car note for two years could easily be paid back in a year if you budget correctly. I mean idk your financial situation and it's none of my business but I've seen people trade in with a high car note for a long time just to get the v6 so I think your in a great situation to make the trade up honestly
The mid-two hundred dollar payment would be for 4 years, but my intention would be to pay it back as quickly as possible. Financially, I'm in good shape (great credit score, decent savings, no other loans or debts) so affording the car won't be an issue. Even the 'extras' like insurance won't be a problem; I can't see the maintenance being much more for a V6 Camaro than it is on my Cruze now. Fuel costs will go up, but I understand the whole notion of "You wanna play, you gotta pay". This wouldn't be my first 'sports car'.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #39
SCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudySS View Post
my advise is your spending the money so might as well just get an SS why goof around
I know where you're coming from and normally I'd agree with you. But as I've outlined earlier, if I got an SS, I wouldn't want to drive it in winter (I would care about the car too much to do that), and ultimately I need the fuel economy on the highway. This is supposed to my daily driver that's fun to drive. Not the toy that gets babied and only used on fair weather days.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #40
SCH

Quote:
Well if he's trying to get something new and isn't putting down a bunch of cash it'll be hard to get a SS for the note he's been offered on the new v6. Either way OP you can't go wrong have you test driven a new 1LS yet?
I've test driven a 1LT automatic car, and was hands down way more enjoyable to drive than my cruze. I've been in an SS before (a buddy of mine has one) but I've never driven it. I'm sure its even more exciting to drive, but for the $10,000 more, plus the added fuel costs, insurance costs, maintenance costs, etc... I don't really want to go that route at this time.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #41
SCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnkathy View Post
One slow car for another one. Why bother?
LOL! I'm guessing you've never driven a Cruze ECO before. Take one for a spin... It WILL redefine your definition of what slow is...LOL! I think it's 0-60 time is something over 10 seconds (somehow I remember reading it was like 12...?). A V6 Camaro with a stick is 5.8. That's plenty quick for a daily driver as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #42
vicnkathy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester Turbo
Agreed and point will taken lol. I used to drive a 2001 Subaru Forester for the past 12 years. I feel your pain brotha !!
vicnkathy is offline   Reply With Quote