Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
Cool down bro...it's under control.
It's already been corrected. No need to jump on him.

OP: You have an issue for sure.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin2fast4u View Post
always take it in before 5000 but barely went over this time, didn't think i would have this problem, especially not seeing a leak or anything
Damn man...if you're engine is ok don't let it happen again. I did this to my f150 and had to replace the engine. As soon as you heard that sound you should of stopped and got her towed. I hope it's not too late.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Quote:
always take it in before 5000 but barely went over this time, didn't think i would have this problem, especially not seeing a leak or anything
If you always take it in,sounds like someone else is changing your oil! One possibility is whenever THEY changed your oil, they may not have filled it to the proper level! Then with you driving for 5,000 miles it may have used or burned what little oil that was in there,(if they didn't fill it!) did you check your oil after they changed it? Hope you get it straightened out!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #18
justin2fast4u

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
thanks guys, hope i caught it soon enough and i will definitely check the oil level when i get it changed...put oil in it, let it run for a little while and took it for a drive, seemed ok and didn't hear the sound anymore, fingers crossed i didnt do any damage. Im so mad at myself because I always keep an eye on my fluid levels but just been so busy these last few weeks i havent checked.
justin2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #19
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Seen this problem many times before on the Traverse, generally speaking its the same engine. I'm pretty sure your engine wasn't totally dry, it still probably had 1-2L if your lucky left from bone dry, to my understanding the car takes 5.7 or 5.2L, can't remember, therefore you probably didn't kill it, but it may have heated up some parts excessivly and worn some out prematurely and maybe took a couple miles of the life expectancy of your motor.

All motors are different, generally speaking no oil in a motor is bad no two ways about it, if u filled it to spec and all the noises went away, get an oil change ASAP and get an oil consumption sheet from GM and start filling it out.

Funny story my friend had an old Barretta we were trying to kill lol, that thing ran for a solid 30 ish mins in a pit behind his place with NO OIL, lol while we were beating the hell out of it and it was still running until the front wheel asm blew off.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
so i was just on my way home from work and i kept hearing a metal clanking noise mainly around 2nd and 3rd gear
it seemed to be louder if i hit the gas and then let off
so i get home and i go to check the oil and its completely empty!!
i havent seen any leaks or anything, i am due for an oil change but only 100 miles over and planned on going tomorrow, where did my oil go and is it ok that i drove 5-10 miles without oil?
any help/suggestions?
thanks
i drive a v6 2010 and about 39,000 miles
If you feel it may be an issue, you may want to consult with your dealership. Please feel free to let us know the outcome.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerrick View Post
Fill up the gas tank, check the oil... EVERYTIME....

This.... My girlfriend hates it but I hate taking chances.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #22
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I'm confused.......didn't you notice when checking oil regularly it was getting low? Every few fuel fill ups pop the hood. Only takes a minute.

Good luck with it and hope all truns out well.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
oil life is at 44% and i am right over 5000 miles, like 5100 since last oil change

nothing on the dash...no lights or warnings
With an LLT, DO NOT follow the DIC!

Here is my statndard post to V6 (LLT engines) oil posts when asked about the DIC or questions about oil changes:

Newer 2011 and those that had the ECM flashed the OLM is now pretty much mileage based and will zero out at right around 5K, regardless of the driving condition. My guess is they did this because of the LLT engine/timing chain issues and people letting the OLM zero out.

Also I've yet to have to top it off at any time, although at 4K miles I've lost about a 1/4 a quart, well within specs.

As with all V6's (especially the LLT), I suggest the following:
1- Check your oil frequently; I do mine at every fill up
2- IGNORE the OLM
3- Oil changes:
Conventional <= 3K
Synthetic (Preferred) <= 5K. I use Mobil 1 and change at 4K

These little steps can help save your V6 from the dreaded timing chain/oil loss issues
Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
I always follow my DIC
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #25
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Do yourself a big favor and IGNORE the OLM in the DIC, pretend its not there!

I don't care what people say when it comes to GM putting hours of testing in the OLM, it's crap!! I just replaced the timing chains and tensioners on a 2011 Equinox with severe engine noise. The DIC still had 12% and the customer was almost at 18000kms on its first oil change, and for you skeptics out there, no the customer did not reset his oil life at any point and time, it was not the first one I've seen go 14000+ kms on a single oil change!!! Worst part is, it's probably the 10-15th vehicle that I fix/replace those parts on. I know it's not a Camaro but it's an eye opener for sure, it's a problem on ALL GM vehicles.

At 5000kms my camaro still has 60% ish left, no way I'm going anywhere close to the 5 digit mark on a single oil change.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #26
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
With an LLT, DO NOT follow the DIC!

Here is my statndard post to V6 (LLT engines) oil posts when asked about the DIC or questions about oil changes:

Newer 2011 and those that had the ECM flashed the OLM is now pretty much mileage based and will zero out at right around 5K, regardless of the driving condition. My guess is they did this because of the LLT engine/timing chain issues and people letting the OLM zero out.

Also I've yet to have to top it off at any time, although at 4K miles I've lost about a 1/4 a quart, well within specs.

As with all V6's (especially the LLT), I suggest the following:
1- Check your oil frequently; I do mine at every fill up
2- IGNORE the OLM
3- Oil changes:
Conventional <= 3K
Synthetic (Preferred) <= 5K. I use Mobil 1 and change at 4K

These little steps can help save your V6 from the dreaded timing chain/oil loss issues
Hit the nail right on the head with this post!