Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Drives: MANual
Exclamation Downshift Without A Headbanging Lurch?

Whenever I downshift it usually isn't smooth and the car lurches/lunges forward and sometimes violently if RPM's too high. I know this is normal and that is what everyone says. It's just the transmission slowing down with engine. When I am at low RPM and downshift it's usually smooth. But the thing is if I'm going around 40 mph (for example)and I wanna drop it from 4th to 2nd, I wanna know how to do it smoothly. I hear people say they blip the throttle or rev match but I don't really know. I would like to learn how so I can try it tomorrow.

Supreme Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Ebohan74
Mash the gas and go fast.

Drives: 2011 C18 Callaway Camaro SC572
Heel and toe the brake, clutch and accelerator...
Ebohan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Harry.S

Drives: 2011 2lt black Camaro
clutch in
shift
moderatly rev the motor to about where the RPMs should be
clutch out

as you gain more experience you'll be able to tell where the rpms need to be in the lower gear
you'll downshift the smoothest when the rpms are perfectly where they should be before letting out the clutch
Harry.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry.S View Post
clutch in
shift
moderatly rev the motor to about where the RPMs should be
clutch out

as you gain more experience you'll be able to tell where the rpms need to be in the lower gear
you'll downshift the smoothest when the rpms are perfectly where they should be before letting out the clutch
This.. based on your original post, it sounds like your not tapping the throttle before downshifting (which causes the violent lurch your feeling)..

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
Get moving in 2nd gear to 40 mph... Look at what the rpms are. Say 4300 rpm for the hell of it

Now drive up to 50 mph shifting thru the gears. Say you in 4th at 50. Slow to 40mph push in clutch shift to 2nd while lightly reving the engine to 4300 rpm release clutch slowly. You just kindof sortof heel toe'd.

You will get better with time maybe ask a friend to ride with them and see how they do it if they can drive a stick well.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
the barber

Drives: 13' Sw 2ss Ls3
Press n clutch, shift into 2nd, while clutch is pressed down accelerate to about 5k rpm and dump the clutch and dont forget to hang on
the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by the barber View Post
Press n clutch, shift into 2nd, while clutch is pressed down accelerate to about 5k rpm and dump the clutch and dont forget to hang on
Ok I'm gonna try this.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
the barber

Keep gas accelerated and dont redline it... lol
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
I think it's just a matter of "feel" talking about the rpm if its too high then clutch til it hits a lower rpm or if its just 2-4k rpm then just go with the gear lower than it. well in short just practice and youll not even look at your dash anymore

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
the barber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
I think it's just a matter of "feel" talking about the rpm if its too high then clutch til it hits a lower rpm or if its just 2-4k rpm then just go with the gear lower than it. well in short just practice and youll not even look at your dash anymore
+1 I only occasionaly glance at rpms when im haulin a$$
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
enyce0387

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs ls3
#revmatch
enyce0387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

I think i tried this once (push throttle before let out clutch) but i was prob too slow and it did nothing. Just gotta practice I guess.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Cookie Monster
Belle Isle

Drives: 2014 1LE
I'm new at driving a stick, but rev matching works great when downshifting. After I depress the clutch, I gas it up a bit, usually about 1Krpms above what I was doing before clutching. Once the rpms matches up, you can let off the clutch pretty quickly and still shift rather smoothly (not necessarily dumping the clutch per'se)
However, I noticed that if I downshift even when the rpms are as high as 2K, as long as I let of the clutch really slow, the shifts are still smooth without any jerkyness.
Now again, I am new to all this so I can be wayyyyy off line with my points, but it works for me so

Credit to xVengeancex28
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Ok so I push clutch in and downshift. Then rev it to desired RPM. after I do that do I take my foot off the gas before I go into gear or just keep it and let off the clutch?