Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
JGS

Drives: 2015 2SS LS3 NPP/1LE/ Red Hot
what is this ? Why?

So today I was cleaning and waxing the Camaro, and then, I noticed this ! what is it? Corrosion ?Car is 2011 but I bought it brand new in March 2012. I always clean it at least once a week, and wax it maybe once every six weeks....sometimes less somtimes more..depending on weather and time.
Corrosion or just a paint glitch ?
Attached Images

JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
Outlander
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGS View Post
So today I was cleaning and waxing the Camaro, and then, I noticed this ! what is it? Corrosion ?Car is 2011 but I bought it brand new in March 2012. I always clean it at least once a week, and wax it maybe once every six weeks....sometimes less somtimes more..depending on weather and time.
Corrosion or just a paint glitch ?
What perspective is that, inside the trunk?
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
JGS

Drives: 2015 2SS LS3 NPP/1LE/ Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
What perspective is that, inside the trunk?
correct. its the trunk lid in the inside.
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
RazorLED

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Looks like its always been that way almost looks like something that dripped on there and then painted over. if you watch how they build the Camaros and apply the sealant before it gets painted it's probably just a little sealant blob that got painted over.
RazorLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
It looks more like some automotive adhesive that was left behind ( over run ) and it was just painted over
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
It looks more like some automotive adhesive that was left behind ( over run ) and it was just painted over
I dont think that is rust either , somebody had a bunch of crap on their fingers and decided to wipe it off on your lid before painting , , Call Gm and demand a new car seems to be the thing around here lately
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
I dont think that is rust either , somebody had a bunch of crap on their fingers and decided to wipe it off on your lid before painting , , Call Gm and demand a new car seems to be the thing around here lately
great idea, i'll have to look at mine now but as long as it can't be seen, all is well,i don't think his car is old enough to have a rust problem. i thank him for sharing though cause now i'm curious
Old 04-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
It's the sealant that the put around the seams..looks like the robot applied to much in that location...a Gm associate must have put his fingers on it when he closed the trunk before the body goes into the oven...usually that would be wiped up ..for some reason it wasn't.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:04 AM   #9
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Yep, they just painted over some spoooge. Not corrosion.
thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:11 AM   #10
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
That is a alpo drip. It part of the anti rusting prep. They submerge the car in a tank of alpo to coat every square inch inside and outside. It will not hurt the car.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 AM   #11
Terryble

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS/RS M6
This is coming from an inspector, No one will be able to tell you exactly what it is until the paint is removed. Only best guesses. With that being said, my guess would be what others have already said. And unless there is a break in the paint it shouldn't be corrosion.
Terryble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Don't take this the wrong way

I'm very pleased that the processes we have in cars today result in this being seen as potential corrosion. That means that finally, we have made rusty spots so uncommon, the average car buyer can;t recognize them for what they are. Trust me, if it was30 years ago, you'd know it was rust, on something like that. You'd be able to see into the inside of the trunk lid.

As Comarando said- do a test- poke it. It will be solid.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #13
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
In my opinion I don't care what it is. I'm so fussy I want it taken care of. If I notice some one else mite.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
In my opinion I don't care what it is. I'm so fussy I want it taken care of. If I notice some one else mite.
Well, that's your opinion but I think you'll find that every car regardless of manufacturer will have some detectable cosmetic flaw in secondary structure. You might feel it should be "taken care of" but as a customer service rep for a product costing many times what that Camaro cost, my professional opinion is that the product met whatever minimum acceptable quality requirement was in place when built, the vehicle was purchased as an acceptable vehicle, and until an actual fault occurs within the warranty period for corrosion, it is extremely unlikely that this will be "taken care of" at GM's cost.

If this can be shown to qualify as an actual fault, then that's a different story. But an owner being unhappy with the visual appearance of messy seam sealer inside the trunklid is a tall order. That situation ranks up there with an underhood decal not being quite square.