Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Resonated X-Pipe or Resonated X-pipe with stock resonator delete
Just Resonated X-Pipe 2 40.00%
Resonated X-Pipe w/ stock resonator delete 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
azchan

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
MRT V2 + Resonated X-Pipes

Had the MRT V2 for about a month now and drove about 1k miles on it. IT SOUNDS AMAZING!!! The only downside of this exhaust is the drone I get when when I'm on the highway going about 70mph, I've been looking around the forum and the general consensus is to get the resonated x-pipes, but I've also read that it reduce the sound of the exhaust which I don't want!!
What if I do the resonated x pipes and delete the stock resonators? Will that keep the sound? Does anyone have a video of just the mrt v2 and the resonated x pipe and then the mrt v2, resonated x pipe, and stock resonator delete? What would the sound difference between them? What would yall do? Any insight would be helpful! Thanks!!!
MRT V2
C.A.I. Intake
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Magaflow Resonated X-Pipe
Stock Resonator Delete
More to come...hopefully
azchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Personally I think you should do j pipes. Resonated x pipes is mainly for raspy sounds that many v6 get with aftermarket exhaust. Since its a "muffler" it'll make it deep sounding and not raspy which is a plus. But for drone, I tell you that the j pipes are the solution. U can have a shop custom make you some. U need to figure out the rpm range u want to cancel the drone so the length of the pipes are obtained.

Sent from my M!ND
Old 06-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
MRT v2's with the resonated x-pipe will be a little quieter but will also be deeper in tone.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
If you don't want drone but also don't want to lower the noise level of the MRTs, then do J pipes. Plenty of threads discussing that on here
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
azchan

What about j pipes and a resonator delete? Will that make the exhaust note louder/deeper and less drone? I guess I'm looking for something that'll kill the drone a little but also deepen the sound without making it quieter and since we can't do headers on the lfx.
Thanks for all the help guys
MRT V2
C.A.I. Intake
Stock Resonator Delete
More to come...hopefully
Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
Wuiquen

If I was you, do the j pipes first and keep the resonators and everything else the same. J pipes don't change sound/tone of exhaust. It will do your drone and you will hear the true exhaust sound then go from there. Removing the resonators will make it raspy too.

Sent from my M!ND
Old 06-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
azchan

Ok thanks, about how much would j pipe cost? Should I buy them online and install them or ask the muffler shop to custom make some? Which one would be the cheaper/best alternative?

Thanks
MRT V2
C.A.I. Intake
Stock Resonator Delete
More to come...hopefully
Old 06-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by azchan View Post
Ok thanks, about how much would j pipe cost? Should I buy them online and install them or ask the muffler shop to custom make some? Which one would be the cheaper/best alternative?

Thanks
Search the site for the info on them as I doubt the shop knows how to properly calculate the length. That's gonna be on you to properly get the length that will cancel out ur drone. There is a chart in here that has the length for both v8 and v6 based on rpms where drone is present. Analyze ur drone and see between or at what rpm is more noticeable/annoying and that's where you want to cancel it out. Then head to the shop and ask them to build them. They can be any shape pretty such as long as the length is correct. cost will depend. I got mine for 200 all fabricated, painted black and welded in place.

Sent from my M!ND