Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
ttazzijr700

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS L99
Question about Exhaust and headers

I was looking into getting something to both make my camaro sound better and up the HP a bit. Im very inexperienced with all of these performance modding things. So should i get headers and/or a catback exhaust system. Also, i was looking at Borla's site and there are like 5 different systems and i dont really know the difference.http://www.borla.com/applications/lo...olet/Camaro/SS
They have Stainless Steel Cat-Back™ System "S-Type, Stainless Steel Cat-Back™ System , Stainless Steel Cat-Back + "X" pipe and 2 different headers. Also if i were to buy something, are there shops that will install the parts for you. Any other advice would be appreciated. thanx
ttazzijr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 GTO, 1973 Camaro
If you are looking for sound and performance I would start out with a full cat back exhaust. The different kits are basically sound preferences. Mild to agressive sounding.

If your goal is to make horsepower I would go with a set of headers as well. Headers will also make your car somewhat louder, so it helps to know how loud and what tone you are looking for. Send me a PM as to what you are looking for and I could recommend the best kit for you.

I am also sure there are plenty of great install places in Detroit for your exhaust to be installed.
MoranoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
I will eventually go with the 2.5'' Magnaflow Comp series Catback system. But in the mean time i just Did the Muffler delete for the sound...Took around 40lbs off the car, probably added a few HP and the sound is awesome IMO.

Only cost $140 bucks.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttazzijr700 View Post
I was looking into getting something to both make my camaro sound better and up the HP a bit. Im very inexperienced with all of these performance modding things. So should i get headers and/or a catback exhaust system. Also, i was looking at Borla's site and there are like 5 different systems and i dont really know the difference.http://www.borla.com/applications/lo...olet/Camaro/SS
They have Stainless Steel Cat-Back™ System "S-Type, Stainless Steel Cat-Back™ System , Stainless Steel Cat-Back + "X" pipe and 2 different headers. Also if i were to buy something, are there shops that will install the parts for you. Any other advice would be appreciated. thanx
The type s is their more aggressive sounding exhaust that get's you a little more hp. The other two catbacks you see on the bottom of the page are designed for people with the ground effects kit on their car. You'll notice that the first two catbacks have polished tips, while the bottom two don't have any tips at all. The two different types of headers are longtube (off-road use only, ie illegal for street use) headers and the other ones are the shorty headers which keep the car legal. You'll get slightly better performance and a louder exhaust note out of the longtubes, but with the shorties you don't have to worry about being illegal, because they keep the stock downpipes and catalytic converters in place. The longtubes remove all cats. Hope that helps Oh and all the catbacks come with the x-pipe.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
The type s is their more aggressive sounding exhaust that get's you a little more hp. The other two catbacks you see on the bottom of the page are designed for people with the ground effects kit on their car. You'll notice that the first two catbacks have polished tips, while the bottom two don't have any tips at all. The two different types of headers are longtube (off-road use only, ie illegal for street use) headers and the other ones are the shorty headers which keep the car legal. You'll get slightly better performance and a louder exhaust note out of the longtubes, but with the shorties you don't have to worry about being illegal, because they keep the stock downpipes and catalytic converters in place. The longtubes remove all cats. Hope that helps Oh and all the catbacks come with the x-pipe.
The Type S catback offers more hp?
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
The Type S catback offers more hp?
Slightly more. Not like 10hp more, but maybe 1 or 2. Less restrictive muffler.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
hands down--Magnaflow's 3" stainless steel competition cat-back--aggressive deep sound, straight-through stainless mufflers, dynoed ~15 hp gain, great looking 5" tips. Just had mine put on today! --added some new pics
Attached Images

VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....

Last edited by topgun1; 10-10-2009 at 06:14 PM.
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
hands down--Magnaflow's 3" stainless steel competition cat-back--aggressive deep sound, straight-through stainless mufflers, dynoed ~15 hp gain, great looking 5" tips. Just had mine put on today!
love the sound , its great but the magnaflow 5 inch tips are to large
Old 10-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferrell88 View Post
love the sound , its great but the magnaflow 5 inch tips are to large
Magnaflow went with the 5'' Tips becasue that was what was on the original concept Camaro...i think they look really good.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
arfrc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Where'd you get the 5" tips? Everything I've seen says it has 4" ones.
arfrc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #11
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Love the sound on this one too but Jannetty's testing shows 2.5" midpipes are better for torque!
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
Magnaflow went with the 5'' Tips becasue that was what was on the original concept Camaro...i think they look really good.
yes, correction, they are actually 4" tips. Magnaflow did however, initially have the 3" cat-back listed with 5" tips. They changed it during production to 4" tips, which is now what their website correctly refers to them as.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
RefrigerationGuy

Drives: 09Sierra10Suburban 2SSRSbk/io
GM Performance parts exhaust

anyone know about the catback system from GM parts? my 2SSRS will be here early December and thinking about having the dealer install for better sound. also with the ground effects, do i order the one with tips or without. tips look like they are round and GFX has square holes???
RefrigerationGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #14
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Magnaflow. Get your quote for Borla and then call me. I think you'll convert!
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote