Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
nvldojr

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Intake & catch can

My camaro has 48k miles on it with a stock intake. I will be replacing it soon with a roto-fab. Would it be a good idea getting a catch can as well even though my car has 48k miles on it already?
nvldojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Yes, never too late for a cc.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Yes, never too late for a cc.
+1, kinda like quitting smoking its never to late, cant get any worse if you do and may actually get better.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
nvldojr

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
appreciate the feedback, thanks guys... now what catch can to order hmmm
nvldojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
z3R0fo01

Drives: 2014 1SS RS 1LE tvs2300
I had an Apex, and it worked great. Some have said that the bolt strips, but I had no issues. I switched to the elite when I added supercharger, because the elite is smaller/lighter. Mighty Mouse makes a good catch can from what I have read, but I have never owned one. Personally I would stay away from RX for a couple reasons, one being that you cannot open it up to eventually clean it.

Both Apex and Elite are excellent vendors. Elite makes them in different colors, and also makes a larger one with an extra outlet that can be plugged if you are not going to use it. Basically the Elite squared catch can is very similar to the Apex catch can. Both are excellent products.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I love my Apex!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319909
Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
rb

Drives: silver '11 2SS LS3
I just went past 50,000 mi on my camaro a couple of weeks ago. I had ordered a Bo White PTB and thought that it would be a convenient time to install a catch can too while the throttle body was off. (Much easier to reach in to remove the stock PCV hose and install the new ones for the catch can.) With the throttle body off you can see inside the intake manifold. There wasn't a lot of oil in there, just looked like it had been misted with oil, no puddles or anything excessive I thought. I was second guessing whether I really needed a catch can or not. But, I grabbed the stock PCV hose to see how the clamps unhooked (just out of curiosity) and the little hose broke into 3 pieces, it was that brittle! Anyway, I had to install the new catch can then. So, long story short, it's been on the car since Saturday. I've only put about 150 mi on it since installing it, all in town driving, and after checking it today it has already caught enough oil to make a good size puddle in the bottom on the can. I'm definitely impressed! I would say a catch can is a very good idea even at 50,000 mi.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote