Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-08-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
agent5

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS (+RS) + Hurst+ DME
Any other Procharger i1 people boosting at 8 psi?

I know it seems like a silly question but while the advertised stock bolt-on tune claims to be 7.5, my procharger is happy to always climb up to 8psi (not complaining). I was wondering if other people have a similar experience.

Also, being new to the supercharger scene, I was expecting an experience of the boost coming on gradually but it clearly only boosts depending on the position of the throttle and not the actual RPM alone. I guess it makes sense really. If I am at 45mph in 3rd gear, I can hear the boost "Escaping" but as soon as I apply some throttle the "escaping wind" sound goes away and the boost comes on. Typical?

Sorry for the n00b questions.
-D
agent5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Boost gauges typically aren't that accurate, so just gauge alone can have 1-2psi difference.

Yes, centris use a bypass valve that vents air out until you get out of vacuum and put load on the car, so that is completely normal.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
agent5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Boost gauges typically aren't that accurate, so just gauge alone can have 1-2psi difference.

Yes, centris use a bypass valve that vents air out until you get out of vacuum and put load on the car, so that is completely normal.
Thanks for the info, that helps me understand a lot more.
Cheers,
-D
Old 12-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
jst1970
Camaro addict

Drives: 2014 SS L99 i1 procharger
Send a message via AIM to jst1970
I get 8psi on the procharger control/display and show 7.5 on an AEM failsafe datalogging gauge and I have a 3 bar map and it reads 148kpa when logging with VCM - all 3 slightly diff but basically the same and largely based on where the boost signal is taped in from also.

Barometric pressure will change it a little also which is why you will see different impeller speeds for the same psi shown on hot days vs. cold mornings. being that our pumps have a CVT trans that is controlled by boost readings however, we dont get the larger variance with fixed RPM setups.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
agent5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst1970 View Post
I get 8psi on the procharger control/display and show 7.5 on an AEM failsafe datalogging gauge and I have a 3 bar map and it reads 148kpa when logging with VCM - all 3 slightly diff but basically the same and largely based on where the boost signal is taped in from also.

Barometric pressure will change it a little also which is why you will see different impeller speeds for the same psi shown on hot days vs. cold mornings. being that our pumps have a CVT trans that is controlled by boost readings however, we dont get the larger variance with fixed RPM setups.
Thanks for the feedback from your experience. I did a lot of data logging myself after posting this (using the provided SCT X4 and my laptop) It seems to correlate with what you're saying. I was also checking to KR but I was happy to see that I couldn't detect any :-) Hopefully soon I'll officially get it on the dyno for the final verdict on this upgrade (so far, it's awesome!)
Old 12-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
jst1970
Camaro addict

Drives: 2014 SS L99 i1 procharger
Send a message via AIM to jst1970
no KR is nice, but keep in mind, its doing its job, if you get some here and there its not the end of the world, its just the system doing what it does so if after a dyno tune you see some, you are gonna be ok. One step colder plugs (tr7ix or whatever the number is) helps and a lower temp thermostat will keep the heads marginally cooler also. SLP has a 170 degree (that really gets you at about 185 normal driving) keeps heat out of those heads. just tell your tuner as some of the settings in the tune are ECT based and he needs to know you run cooler.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
agent5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst1970 View Post
no KR is nice, but keep in mind, its doing its job, if you get some here and there its not the end of the world, its just the system doing what it does so if after a dyno tune you see some, you are gonna be ok. One step colder plugs (tr7ix or whatever the number is) helps and a lower temp thermostat will keep the heads marginally cooler also. SLP has a 170 degree (that really gets you at about 185 normal driving) keeps heat out of those heads. just tell your tuner as some of the settings in the tune are ECT based and he needs to know you run cooler.
Hi,
Indeed as you mentioned regarding the spark plugs; The shop that installed the kit recommended the same and I went one step colder. Regarding the KR, the only time I did see some (but I was trying to produce it) was on low RPM (like 1500-2000 and high gear like 4th or 5th opening from low speed to FOT, that created a small KR of like 1-2.5 on that initial sudden throttle and then went away. I then tested the same thing at over 2K and seocond/third gear and there was no KR at all.

I understand what you're saying regarding certain conditions creating the occasional KR. Like you said, depending on the context I am not concerned. At normal driving I haven't seen it happen. I can share my datalog if you want to see the tuning that was done to prevent KR (if interested).

Regarding the SLP, that's good to know, if I ever decide to custom tune and create more power; I will surely look that up! Thanks again.