Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #967
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
I know you are setting up responses to get people banned, but I wont take the bait.

you honestly cannot be serious? This GT500 is a PRODUCTION car.

So much so that there will be probably 2 or 2.5 GT500's built for every ZL1.

"The data also showed how much more consistent our lines and lap times were with the Camaro. In contrast, the Mustang's laps were filled with lots of throttle and steering adjustments, not to mention plenty of slides."

My favorite part about the review was this sentence. The guy basically admitted he was not man enough to drive the GT500. Of course a car with 100 less hp and 100 pounds of tq will be easier to drive.

This is why magazines are not worth reading anymore. Like the NFL they have millions of people watching them see the play in slow motion time after time and they still make the wrong call.
Does the car leave the Ford Plant and go to the Shelby facility for the upgrades..... if so, it is after manufacture production. If you still call it production after that, then why is any car that is sent to Hennessey straight from the factory for upgrades not concidered a production car?
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #968
Darkstar November

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
Does the car leave the Ford Plant and go to the Shelby facility for the upgrades..... if so, it is after manufacture production. If you still call it production after that, then why is any car that is sent to Hennessey straight from the factory for upgrades not concidered a production car?

the gt500 never leaves ford. its a shelby in name only really. its built in the ford plant, by ford employees, transported from the plant to ford dealers, then sold by ford salesmen
Darkstar November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #969
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar November View Post

the gt500 never leaves ford. its a shelby in name only really. its built in the ford plant, by ford employees, transported from the plant to ford dealers, then sold by ford salesmen
I just read that.... so it's not even a true Shelby....WOW! At least it performs!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #970
Darkstar November

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
I just read that.... so it's not even a true Shelby....WOW! At least it performs!
shelby has licensed his name to ford for years for the 500's. the shelby gt cars are shelby serial numbers, they start as a gt then go to shelby american.
Darkstar November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #971
2012 Mustang GT

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT, 1998 Cobra
Quote:
GT500 rolls right down the prodution line and thats it. Never goes anywhere else. GT500 is the same as the SVT Cobra. Its been that way since 2007...if the GT500 isnt a production car then neither is your SS. So try to do some research next time
2012 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #972
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Thanks to Erik and Van, not only is this the best thread ever, in any forum I belong to but easily the most anticipated track event of the year. I literally checked my calendar to see if I could attend in person. I can't.

My respect and admiration to both of you. Have fun!

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #973
MR.CamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
I had to laugh about this comment:

skyggge says:
06:11 AM, 06/25/2012
Disclaimer: This is purely meant to be humorous.

This is the first thing I thought of after reading this article:

GT500: What are you smiling about?

ZL1: Dude I almost had you!

GT500: Almost had me? You never had me. You never had your car... Ask any racer, any REAL racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winnings winning.
lol its funny..i think thats from the first fast and furious movie...anyway i love the ZL1 its a truly amazing car and so is the GT500. i cant wait to see if GM will try and top the horse power numbers. with the 6.2 liter motor they have so much potential to gain more horse power so they can go back and forth and next thing u know they will have over 700 hp stock!!!!
MR.CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #974
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
I disagree. I don't think there is any issue with the article, really. It's a product review and comparison. Most reasons people purchase a car are subjective. They preferred the zl1 and they explained why. That's their job the way I see it. In this comparison the gt500 was faster, but the zl1 was preferred. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
Then what was the point of taking the cars to the track? If car A ran a faster time, why declare car b the winner? Maybe I got lost somewhere, but it doesn't make sense to me.
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #975
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Because it was A lap. They admit you can run A fast lap in the GT500, but you can consistently run fast laps in he ZL1. And that was one course. Other courses will be different results. I would like to see all of the hot lap times for both cars. I would bet the ZL1 was faster more often than the GT500. Or was it posted and I missed it?
newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #976
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
I feel ya on this point, but I offer another view....

Which is superior in a dogfight... a modern-day F-15 Eagle fighter jet, or a WWII Corsair? And I think anyone would say the answer would be the F-15. The F15 benefits from superior technology and is therefore the winner hands down in a head to head fight. Of course, the Corsair pilot may have full control of his aircraft via cables, but the F15 pilot has computerized fly-by-wire technology that allows him to dominate the air. When it comes to winning, you take every advantage you can get!!
Now, with that said, I do LOVE to have full control of my vehicles, especially when I'm driving with spirit.... LOL! But I'll also take advantage of technology to make me a better driver!!
Actually the F-15 is outdated and not full "fly-by-wire" although does incorporate the technology with mechanical flight control systems. A better analogy would be the F-22 Raptor or the F-35 Lightning II.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #977
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
I feel ya on this point, but I offer another view....

Which is superior in a dogfight... a modern-day F-15 Eagle fighter jet, or a WWII Corsair? And I think anyone would say the answer would be the F-15. The F15 benefits from superior technology and is therefore the winner hands down in a head to head fight. Of course, the Corsair pilot may have full control of his aircraft via cables, but the F15 pilot has computerized fly-by-wire technology that allows him to dominate the air. When it comes to winning, you take every advantage you can get!!
Now, with that said, I do LOVE to have full control of my vehicles, especially when I'm driving with spirit.... LOL! But I'll also take advantage of technology to make me a better driver!!
But the ZL1 doesn't make you a better driver unless you are turning the technology off, it just makes you LOOK like a better driver... It's just like comparing a Viper to a GT-R you might be able to pull more consistent times with the GT-R but the Viper requires you to actually be a better driver to get good times... Just saying
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #978
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I love how you're all the sudden not allowed to talk about a certain car just because you don't own one. For you losers that are saying that, I say you shouldn't be allowed in either unless you've actually ran you're ZL1 at the track. Most of you could only offer up expertise of how it looks in your garage or waxing techniques. You
make yourselfs look like snobs by making stupid comments like that.

Back on topic, I think what the mag and all the current test have proven so far is that for an everyday car the ZL1 is the better car. For a balls to the wall all out scare the crap out of you hot rod the gt500 is the clear winner. Which to me comes down to what type of person you are.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #979
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06 View Post
Very cool (and refreshing) to see/read two level headed gearheads talk car's, and taking them out on the track for a little H2H fun.......congrat's to both of you.
Agreed....

This is the difference between people who actually walk the walk vs the ones who just talk. My hats off to both gents, I'm sure it's gonna be a blast!
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #980
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
lol are we really going to act like a tune that netted 30rwhp isn't a huge change from stock??
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500