Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Ryan2011RS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS dusk edition .
Angry 2nd time in less than a year!!!!!

Okay so another damn engine problem. Heard a knockin noise so got an appointment at my dealership and took it in. Last year I had the same problem and they had to replace my engine. Now they're saying the same thing.. But GM is "red-flagging" the approval for the new engine because of suspected abuse??? So if they don't approve it I'm gunna have to lay around $4,000 for a new engine.. There's no reason to be bone dry on oil when I got an oil change less than 3,000 miles ago. No puddles in my driveway so I'm not leakin and there's no way somebody crawled under neath my car to drain it... But it's looking as if I'm gunna be without my camaro for about 2 weeks probably. It's KILLING ME and it's only been 2 days. Just wondering if anybody else is having these problems?
Ryan2011RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
bcguy
bcguy

Drives: 2011 ss/rs m6
fight it ,threaten whatever you have to,if it is not tuned or modded they shouldnt have a leg to stand on
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
That has got to be a nightmare. Don't know what I'd do if it happened to me.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Outlaw_Nation
Account Suspended

Drives: 1LT/M6
if it happened to me again..honestly...i would sell my car or just save those 4k and buy a V8 Swapped engine
Outlaw_Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Just courious, do you ever check the oil, it may be flagged b/c they feel catistrophic engine failure could have been prevented. I still agree that they should fix it if it hasn't been tuned or modified because it was obviously due to part that failed, but likely if it was noticed burning or using oil before the damage, it may have been a much easier fix.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Did you ever get a engine warning ? If not for the oil issue, the system didn't warn you, so regardless of what might or might not have occurred with whomever last changed your oil, the car is supposed to alert you before you get to this point. With all the diagnostics and warnings on these cars, no reason you should be sitting at a dealership having to battle whether you are to blame or not. You also have On Star still active, correct ? They also monitor your car status and engine health monthly. That also should have thrown a flag, and that also is Chevrolet administered. No reason you should see any pain from this, including a loaner until your car is ready to come home, but if the car has only 4000 miles on it and this is the second time, I'd be looking for a replacement. Sounds VERY fishy that you'd see this magnitude of issues. These cars are solid as a rock, yours must have come off the assembly line late Friday before a holiday weekend and been rushed a bit. The dealer should be working hard to get you a REAL GOOD deal on a replacement to keep your business. Good luck.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
These motors really should be checked once a week. They love oil. I had my motor replaced after it spun a bearing because of no oil. I check my oil now at least once week to make sure everything is always right.

You HAVE to let this car sit for several hrs to get a reliable reading. Your gauges will not tell you much and no idiot lights will come on to warn you either. Kinda sucks but it is what it is. What I do is usually every Friday when I pull into the garage I park it, pop the hood and then let it sit overnight. When I come out the next morning I see my hood open and remember to check my oil. I have a 5 qt container of 5w30 Mobil 1 siting in my garage and when it's low, I add a little until it reads on that middle hash.

I checked mine this morning and it was perfect so I didnt need to add.

We have to do this or else we'll be bummin like OP. I've been there and it is a horrible feeling.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Sounds like they trying to get over. I agree fight it !!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Ryan2011RS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS dusk edition .
Yea it's rediculous . I'm going to fight it as much as possible. Tho my dealer IS doing a good job fighting GM for me. And yes I do check my oil usually once every week or two weeks. I don't get it. I was thinkin to trade it in after all these problems but I just can't bring myself to trade it in ! It's too much of a head turner to trade in . It sucks seeing it sitting there at the dealership while they bicker and get nothing done .
Ryan2011RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
These motors really should be checked once a week. They love oil. I had my motor replaced after it spun a bearing because of no oil. I check my oil now at least once week to make sure everything is always right.

You HAVE to let this car sit for several hrs to get a reliable reading. Your gauges will not tell you much and no idiot lights will come on to warn you either. Kinda sucks but it is what it is. What I do is usually every Friday when I pull into the garage I park it, pop the hood and then let it sit overnight. When I come out the next morning I see my hood open and remember to check my oil. I have a 5 qt container of 5w30 Mobil 1 siting in my garage and when it's low, I add a little until it reads on that middle hash.

I checked mine this morning and it was perfect so I didnt need to add.

We have to do this or else we'll be bummin like OP. I've been there and it is a horrible feeling.
who checks there car engine once a week. routine maintenance and i dont look at it

question. what mods do you have on your car too if any? if you have ANY i would take them off immediately
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
and where will u find a new engine for only $4000
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
It is within design specification for your engine to use 1 quart of oil in 500 miles. You might want to reconsider your stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
who checks there car engine once a week. routine maintenance and i dont look at it

question. what mods do you have on your car too if any? if you have ANY i would take them off immediately
Old 07-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Hope it turns out well for the OP.

Just checked my oil, all good. Can't help but wonder what's going on with oil level on some of these cars. I don't baby mine and have only added maybe a quart in 18K miles. I change it every 6-7k.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #14
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Bro, dont let them fool you with the bullshit, if ure still under warranty and have regular service at your dealer then tell them to EFF them selves and get you a new Engine! Their install of might been weak, or if theyve overhauled you previous engine, assembly of components and parts must have gone wrong somewhere.

DONT LET THEM TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE!
CAMAROS ARE TO BE HAMMERED ANYWAY!
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, knocking, problems