Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Katalyzt

Drives: 2010 Camaro, V6, Auto
Rear Rattle

I found this site by accident and so far I'm very excited to continue reading, and I thought what better place to ask questions about my Camaro as I know only the basics in terms of cars - First post, so here we go!

I have a 2010 V6 Auto 1LT that I've had for almost a year now with 25k KMs on it (I drive alot for work sadly - only plus side is it's all highway)
This past week I took my car in to the dealership for a rattle that I heard from the rear drivers side whenever I hit a bump (bridge expansion joint, manhole cover, whatever!). They called me yesterday and said they had ordered parts for it and were currently waiting on them, but I could come and pick it up for the weekend. Apparently (according to the tech) there is alot of play in the back axil(?) and they require the parts to essentially shim it up and keep it from making this noise... the tech guarenteed that this would fix the noise... so I guess my question is, is this tech feeding me a line of crap? Has anyone else heard of anything like this?
Help!
Katalyzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Berean

Drives: Truck
It's an IRS not a solid rear axle, so I'm not sure what the tech means by "play in the axle".

More likely, you have an end link, sway bar, or trailing arm bolt that has come loose.

I'd find out exactly what parts they're replacing and then we'd be able to give you a better answer.

As long as it's all under warranty, I wouldn't worry about getting ripped off.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Katalyzt

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

I'll find out exactly what it is, and what they're doing when I bring it back in next week. And yes, it's all under warrenty, just not loving the fact that I've had to bring it in already
Old 09-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
also remember that the dealer and mechanic are getting paid by gm for warranty work...the mechanics love to get as much as they can by gm...took my tundra in to shop last month for oil change and whel i picked up . they replace 2 rotors and pads also 2 small other things and backcharged toyota,,..i only wanted oil change..my service shop already told me to bring camaro in and they would update brake pads for roller skates...
Old 09-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Katalyzt

So! 9 days later, the rattle is gone. Never guess what it was! I rock... yup a 1" x 1" rock. Stuck up in the rear control arm... all that noise from a small little rock.
So... the moral of the story is - sometimes its the littlest things that cause the biggest problems.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
Berean

Drives: Truck
So what was the explanation for the service dept ordering parts to "shim it up" and saying you had "play" in your axle?
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Katalyzt

There is a notice out somewhere that talks about this problem (I have it at home, but am at work right now sadly). But apparently there can be a lot of play in the rear which causes a rattle. The solution to this is to use a set of washers behind the rear hubs in order to remove much of this play. Thats what they thought it was originally, but apparently a little classic mechanic work was required to find the problem, as opposed to 'techanic' work which was just searching a computer for answers.
I guess 3rd time really was the charm.

Tags
1lt, new member, rattle, suspension