Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
mpgsux

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS LS3
Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back rattle

Hey guys,

Just installed a Flowmaster American Thunder cat back on my 2010 SS today. First of all, the exhaust sounds awesome.

Here's my problem though. I have a noticeable rattle when I go over bumps. I know it has to be the tunnel brace. The manual said to have a 1/2" of clearance. I have know idea how to get that much clearance. The exhaust is almost sitting on the brace and I can't seem to get it to move at all. Any suggestions?

Also, I assume some white smoke it normal after installation. I drove to the gas station and back, about 2 miles total, and when I pulled into the garage there was a huge cloud of white smoke. I assume this is mainly due to stuff burning off the new exhaust, but it made me a little nervous at first.

Thanks guys!

Steve
mpgsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
RedRyder

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS M6 Camaro
I couldn't even put my tunnel brace back on after I installed mine haha I think your supposed to support the x pipe up with something and then tighten down all the clamps in order to have the proper clearance for the brace. Hopefully others who properly installed it will chime in.

And yes the white smoke is normal
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
I have the same exhaust and I read and saw the video before installing mines and before you tighten up the exhaust, you have to jack up around the x pipe area while the bolts still loose and push it up far as you can, then tighten the bolts.

In addition, I brought another tunnel brace from elite for extra clearance.

I had my exhaust on for almost a year and no rattling noise.

Hope his helps
Old 07-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Faced the same problem, plus needs re-tightening after approx. 200km, as heat-expansion tends to loosen the bolts.

Unfortunately, altho its a great exhaust but the interior drone level was getting to me, so i ordered the CORSA catback and waiting for it to arrive and get it installed.

Anyhow, good-luck and im sure you'll enjoy it and will sound even better with time!
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Meathead Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have the same problem, i installed the SLP loudmouth and it keeps hitting the tunnel brace.

I've had it on for 2 weeks now and want the rattling noise to go away, can i loosen the clamps and raise the H pipe from the brace then re-tighten the clamps? Or do i need an aftermarket brace?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
thesnoopster

You should be fine if you loosen the bolt and push the exhaust up as high as you can get it and retighten the bolt. You can also get a brace for extra clearance as well (the one from elite works great).
Old 07-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
RedRyder

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS M6 Camaro
Had some free time today so I loosened up all the clamps, jacked up the x pipe as high as it would go, readjusted/tightened the clamps back, and like magic the vibrations are gone
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
thesnoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
Had some free time today so I loosened up all the clamps, jacked up the x pipe as high as it would go, readjusted/tightened the clamps back, and like magic the vibrations are gone
Good Deal!