Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
MRT Exhaust Version 1.0

I've started this thread for those who have installed the MRT exhaust version 1.0.

I installed mine this past weekend and it is MUCH louder than I would have anticipated based upon the youtube videos posted by screamin.

The installation was fairly easy.

However, anytime I accelerate the drone in the cabin is very loud. I've also installed some 3/4" insulation in the back and it's made it a little more bearable.

It almost sounds like a muffler delete so I checked both clamps on the new muffler system and it appears to be tight.

Last edited by tradosaurus; 11-03-2009 at 07:13 AM.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
marley.
OCD

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Mine's getting installed tomorrow! I cannot wait to be loud again! My former car was an 06 Charger running Flowmaster 40s with no resonators and I miss that exhaust note every time I drive my Camaro.
marley. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
I know exactly what you mean ! My car is too quiet too ! Starting with JBAs and then I will probably go with MRT also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marley. View Post
Mine's getting installed tomorrow! I cannot wait to be loud again! My former car was an 06 Charger running Flowmaster 40s with no resonators and I miss that exhaust note every time I drive my Camaro.
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
JChen

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT RS
I had mine installed about two weeks ago and like others have said, there is a bit of drone and some funky vibrations during some speeds. The start up is pretty loud and can reverberate strangely inside a garage but overall I really like the set up.

Here is what I did to eliminate some of the drone and vibrations. I added Dynamat underneath the trunk cover around the battery/spare tire area. I did a slap-ass job of installing the Dynamat. I wasn't very patient and could have done more. I then stuffed two egg crate foam panels along the sides to help absorb any additional noise. I think I'll get a few more panels to line the back of the rear seat.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Attached Images

JChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
marley.
OCD

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
No offense but whats the point of doing exhaust if you are gonna go to all that trouble to not hear it? haha. I mean the whole reason I do a mod is for me to enjoy it and I love nothing more than an exhaust note that wakes up the neighbors. Man everytime I read these posts about how much it drones it makes me want mine even more! I cant wait til tomorrow!!
marley. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
No offense but whats the point of doing exhaust if you are gonna go to all that trouble to not hear it? haha. I mean the whole reason I do a mod is for me to enjoy it and I love nothing more than an exhaust note that wakes up the neighbors. Man everytime I read these posts about how much it drones it makes me want mine even more! I cant wait til tomorrow!!
Exhaust is a funny animal... we listen to all the video clips... we listen to everyone describe what their setup sounds like... but in the end we all have different tastes and we all hear things differently... what may be perfectly acceptable to you, may be totally objectionable to me... Heck , i changed the exhaust on my Mustang at least 5 times... LOL

I don't think this about making the exhausts so you can't hear it... it's about tweaking the sound to get it more to your liking...

I do understand what you are saying though... that's why I never put sequential tail lights in my Mustang.... I knew I would never see them to enjoy them!

BTW... thanks to tradosaurus for starting this thread... another great example of why I like this forum (and this section in particular)... great bunch of folks trying to help each other out!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
JChen

Quote:
There's a difference between enjoying a nice exhaust tone from inside the cabin and experiencing strange harmonics and what I can only describe as different pressures... My primary reason for the Dynamat was to try to eliminate some of the vibrations.

Trust me, I love the way the Camaro sounds... I'm going to wear out my remote start button before too long.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChen View Post
There's a difference between enjoying a nice exhaust tone from inside the cabin and experiencing strange harmonics and what I can only describe as different pressures... My primary reason for the Dynamat was to try to eliminate some of the vibrations.

Trust me, I love the way the Camaro sounds... I'm going to wear out my remote start button before too long.
So I'm not the only that randomly goes outside, stands behind his car and starts it? LOL!

Actually... love to do the remote start in the parking lot with people walking by... watching them stop and stare! LOL!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChen View Post
I had mine installed about two weeks ago and like others have said, there is a bit of drone and some funky vibrations during some speeds. The start up is pretty loud and can reverberate strangely inside a garage but overall I really like the set up.

Here is what I did to eliminate some of the drone and vibrations. I added Dynamat underneath the trunk cover around the battery/spare tire area. I did a slap-ass job of installing the Dynamat. I wasn't very patient and could have done more. I then stuffed two egg crate foam panels along the sides to help absorb any additional noise. I think I'll get a few more panels to line the back of the rear seat.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Great Job!

Where did you get the Dynomat?

I won't show you my crappy job of cutting the 3/4" insulation from Homedepot in their parking lot.

Lesson learned: use shart box cutter or there will be lots of little insulation b-b's in your trunk.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
JChen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Great Job!

Where did you get the Dynomat?

I won't show you my crappy job of cutting the 3/4" insulation from Homedepot in their parking lot.

Lesson learned: use shart box cutter or there will be lots of little insulation b-b's in your trunk.
Thanks! I got the Dynamat on Amazon.com for about $90.00. DON'T buy at Best Buy because they sell it for $179.99. It was the Trunk Kit that came with 5 sheets. I have 2 1/2 sheets left. Not sure what to do with them, maybe line the doors to get rid of road noise... Or maybe use it on my wife's Xterra.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
[QUOTE=tradosaurus;1127417]I've started this thread for those who have installed the MRT exhaust version 1.0.

I installed mine almost 4 weeks ago.
I did a post then, I have not put much more than 100miles on it,so I have not posted again.
But since you started this thread I will just add my 2 cents.

#1 ....Very easy to install.
#2 ....Very loud as I wanted.
#3 ....Sounds Very good from in the car, except for the drone from 2K to 3K rpm's
#4 ....It is quite at cruising speed app. 50 to 70mph ( under 1,900rpm's)
#5 ....I let someone drive the car, I was app.125 feet away. They drove it full throttle to app. 55 mph past me. ( 4 passes ). I was Absolutely Amazed of the GREAT Sound.............. MUCH better then from in the car. .Someone in another thread said it sounded like a Ferrari & I would somewhat agree.
#6 ... I gained app. 1/10 of a sec. in my 0-60mph runs. My best run was 5.02 secs.

So, I am happy with the system (except for the drone).

Hope this helps someone to decide..........

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
blkcamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro
[QUOTE=97one;1129706]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
I've started this thread for those who have installed the MRT exhaust version 1.0.

I installed mine almost 4 weeks ago.
I did a post then, I have not put much more than 100miles on it,so I have not posted again.
But since you started this thread I will just add my 2 cents.

#1 ....Very easy to install.
#2 ....Very loud as I wanted.
#3 ....Sounds Very good from in the car, except for the drone from 2K to 3K rpm's
#4 ....It is quite at cruising speed app. 50 to 70mph ( under 1,900rpm's)
#5 ....I let someone drive the car, I was app.125 feet away. They drove it full throttle to app. 55 mph past me. ( 4 passes ). I was Absolutely Amazed of the GREAT Sound.............. MUCH better then from in the car. .Someone in another thread said it sounded like a Ferrari & I would somewhat agree.
#6 ... I gained app. 1/10 of a sec. in my 0-60mph runs. My best run was 5.02 secs.

So, I am happy with the system (except for the drone).

Hope this helps someone to decide..........

??
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
JChen

Quote:
Forgot to mention that I haven't turned on my stereo in the two weeks since I've had the new exhaust. I wonder if I can put my free trial of XM on hold for a bit?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #14
cschmidt1956

Drives: Too Little time to drive....
scrming,

Sounds and looks like my preference would be for Version 2.0. I want some weight off the Camaro and a little more freer breathing and the MRT looks like it would do it with out the fuss and muss of a full exhaust replacement.

Keep me in mind.
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote