Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
White smoke from exhaust

My knowledge of the LFX is limited, but I know a lot about the LLT (my previous car).

My wife's 2013 1LT just hit the 1500 mile mark or so. She called me this morning to complain about white smoke continuing to come out of the exhaust for the past week and that she can smell exhaust. I already called the dealership and setup an appointment to have it looked at. From day one she has drove it like she stole it (hard break in). I was just about to have her get her first free oil change done as well as few other things at the 1500 mile mark.

I will be taking a look at the car this afternoon to see what exactly is going on.

I am guessing it is due to a leak from coolant or a seal not properly seating during break in.

Any ideas?

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
My knowledge of the LFX is limited, but I know a lot about the LLT (my previous car).

My wife's 2013 1LT just hit the 1500 mile mark or so. She called me this morning to complain about white smoke continuing to come out of the exhaust for the past week and that she can smell exhaust. I already called the dealership and setup an appointment to have it looked at. From day one she has drove it like she stole it (hard break in). I was just about to have her get her first free oil change done as well as few other things at the 1500 mile mark.

I will be taking a look at the car this afternoon to see what exactly is going on.

I am guessing it is due to a leak from coolant or a seal not properly seating during break in.

Any ideas?
If it is continuing after warmup, then I think you are right. White usually means water. Hope that's not the case, but at least it's under warranty. Good luck man.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl

Just thought of something. Did you put a catch can on it?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
If it is continuing after warmup, then I think you are right. White usually means water. Hope that's not the case, but at least it's under warranty. Good luck man.
Yea I am hoping it is an easy fix and not something major. She loves her car. Thanks!

Quote:
Just thought of something. Did you put a catch can on it?
Not yet. Was going to after the 1500 mile break in just like my LLT which did not burn a single drop of oil and the IM was super clean.

I do know once this is fixed her car is getting a bottle of Chevron Techron. Got it on sale at Oreilly's.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Yea I am hoping it is an easy fix and not something major. She loves her car. Thanks!

Not yet. Was going to after the 1500 mile break in just like my LLT which did not burn a single drop of oil and the IM was super clean.

I do know once this is fixed her car is getting a bottle of Chevron Techron. Got it on sale at Oreilly's.
Oh well. I was thinking with the drastic temperature changes and all the humidity we've been having the catch can might have been full and water was getting pushed into the intake. Good luck man, hope it is an easy fix and she's not without the car for very long.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Oh well. I was thinking with the drastic temperature changes and all the humidity we've been having the catch can might have been full and water was getting pushed into the intake. Good luck man, hope it is an easy fix and she's not without the car for very long.
Yea that could have been a possibility. Thanks!

I took a look at it last night. Oil smelled normal and looked normal. The car run fine and coolant temp stayed below 200. I couldn't see anything at first then I turned it off and went to check. It took a little while to show up apparently, but I got to see it. It is a faint white smoke that doesn't slow down or change. I took a video of it with the car off and will post it up soon. I checked the mufflers and the holes for water looked to be blocked so I am guessing that is the cause. I will still let the dealer look it over and have the video to show them as evidence.

How to hug your camaro
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Yea that could have been a possibility. Thanks!

I took a look at it last night. Oil smelled normal and looked normal. The car run fine and coolant temp stayed below 200. I couldn't see anything at first then I turned it off and went to check. It took a little while to show up apparently, but I got to see it. It is a faint white smoke that doesn't slow down or change. I took a video of it with the car off and will post it up soon. I checked the mufflers and the holes for water looked to be blocked so I am guessing that is the cause. I will still let the dealer look it over and have the video to show them as evidence.
Ah, that's probably it. Rhino took his mufflers off and they were full of water because the drain was plugged. Suprised her's are already plugged with so few miles on it.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Ah, that's probably it. Rhino took his mufflers off and they were full of water because the drain was plugged. Suprised her's are already plugged with so few miles on it.
Yea I am 90% sure now that is why. The passenger side muffler had something in it blocking it (like a nail or something hanging) and the driver side muffler had stuff in it.

How to hug your camaro
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Yea I am 90% sure now that is why. The passenger side muffler had something in it blocking it (like a nail or something hanging) and the driver side muffler had stuff in it.
Hmm, think you have an opportunity to get some MRT-2s for her birthday. She'll love you for it and maybe get you a mod for your birthday.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Hmm, think you have an opportunity to get some MRT-2s for her birthday. She'll love you for it and maybe get you a mod for your birthday.
I already bought her birthday gift in advance, lol. But perhaps it can be an anniversary gift

My birthday was this past Monday and she keeps asking me what mod I want. I dunno, lol.

How to hug your camaro
Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Belated Happy Birthday!

Well, his and her's exhaust sounds like a good anniversary present, but I'm not sure what all you have on your's right now.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Belated Happy Birthday!

Well, his and her's exhaust sounds like a good anniversary present, but I'm not sure what all you have on your's right now.
Thank-you sir!

Yes it does. My SS is stock. I just got her April 5th of this year so nothing yet. I have a catch can and technostalgia tail lights waiting to be installed. I will ask her and see what she says. I know what exhaust setup I want though. SW 3" retro catback with power connect to SW 2" LT's. For hers I am thinking MRT 2's with resonator delete.

How to hug your camaro
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Thank-you sir!

Yes it does. My SS is stock. I just got her April 5th of this year so nothing yet. I have a catch can and technostalgia tail lights waiting to be installed. I will ask her and see what she says. I know what exhaust setup I want though. SW 3" retro catback with power connect to SW 2" LT's. For hers I am thinking MRT 2's with resonator delete.
Sounds like a great combo for your car. Look at the SLP Loudmouth 2 too. I think they look just as good as the SW 3" and I think they are a bit cheaper.

For her's, think about the resonated X-pipe instead of a resonator delete. My experience has been the drone will drive you crazy with out the resonators on the V6.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Sounds like a great combo for your car. Look at the SLP Loudmouth 2 too. I think they look just as good as the SW 3" and I think they are a bit cheaper.

For her's, think about the resonated X-pipe instead of a resonator delete. My experience has been the drone will drive you crazy with out the resonators on the V6.
I really like the sound of that combo. I will check that out too. I want a 3" because I plan on FI and a minimum of 600hp down the road.

My brother (LLT) has a MRT 2 and resonator delete. He loves it and says there really isn't any drone or if there is it isn't noticeable most of the time. I like the sound too. Perhaps a res delete with a res x-pipe?

How to hug your camaro