Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
jjstime

Drives: 2014 2SS L1E RS NPP
Heater Core bad 2014 1LE

I could smell it coming but they didn't believe me.

About a month ago I noticed the distinct smell of radiator fluid and took the car immediately to the dealer where it was left for 2 days. Their response was they did not smell anything and pressure test checks out ok.

after about 3 weeks, the smell became increasingly stronger and the windows would fog up on the inside. keep in mind I live in San Diego so it does not get to cold here @ 5pm
then the mist came, I put the heater on full blast and mist sprayed out of the vents. I'm not to happy about that because it got everywhere and I must have been breathing it in for all that time. Drove directly to the dealer, showed them the mist, said I told you so and dropped it off the next morning.

Diagnosed with bad heater core, really, wow. Big deal to swap it out as many on here have mentioned, pull the windshield and dashboard. Since the car was ready for an oil change I mentioned they should do that also.

3 days go by, and they call me @ 3pm that the car is ready, I figure that since I dropped in the morning I would keep the rental till morning and pick it up then (should give them plenty of time to clean it up), LOL

I get there and make the mistake of dropping the rental car off first then go over to the dealer. Here is a list of issues I found wrong after that.

• Radiator core replaced because of leak
• Oil changed but did not reset the counter or put a new sticker on windshield (suspicious)
• Cleaned carpet only on passenger side where heater core is (must have leaked)
• Did not clean interior, film from mist on everything, radiator fluid on dash, center console, door panel
• Dirt and material on dahsboard from window removal/replacement
• Scratched dashboard couple places on passenger side
• I had Declined key fob modification first time , this time they did it without asking (thanks but no thanks)
• Seat bolts were loose
• Windshield had grease, fingermarks on inside and grease pencil writing still on the outside
• Found a panel clip laying on the ground on drivers side (hope this was left over from removal)

Now I am pissed and have to be at work in like 15min, so I gotta go but tell the service guy I will be back and this is F*&#$% totally unacceptable.

Dropped the car off this morning and gave him the list of issues and gotta say, "don't call me till it is all taken car of and ready for the showroom floor"

Kinda bummed because the whole new car smell is now gone, I hope when they detail it helps.

Stay tuned.....
jjstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
This a discouraging list, but typical of a poorly run service department.

I once bought a Chevy from a dealer like this. They were apologetic when I pointed out service deficiencies to them, but things never got better. I took my business elsewhere, and eventually the bad dealer folded.

Find a better dealer. I did. When I get a car back from their service department, it's clean and the work is almost always good. They're not perfect, but they know I'm watching carefully and they have corrected any mistakes promptly.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Hopefully they actually do something about the dash, because I doubt they'll be buying you a new one. Get GM involved, but I wouldn't bother complaining about the key fob. It's easy to fix and you'll get a spare key out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
This a discouraging list, but typical of a poorly run service department.

I once bought a Chevy from a dealer like this. They were apologetic when I pointed out service deficiencies to them, but things never got better. I took my business elsewhere, and eventually the bad dealer folded.

Find a better dealer. I did. When I get a car back from their service department, it's clean and the work is almost always good. They're not perfect, but they know I'm watching carefully and they have corrected any mistakes promptly.
+1
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Why are heater cores still going bad on 2014s? This isn't looking good ....
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:22 AM   #5
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
Sorry to hear your frustrations. I'm in San Diego also and was wondering what dealer you are dealing with?
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstime View Post
I could smell it coming but they didn't believe me.

About a month ago I noticed the distinct smell of radiator fluid and took the car immediately to the dealer where it was left for 2 days. Their response was they did not smell anything and pressure test checks out ok.

after about 3 weeks, the smell became increasingly stronger and the windows would fog up on the inside. keep in mind I live in San Diego so it does not get to cold here @ 5pm
then the mist came, I put the heater on full blast and mist sprayed out of the vents. I'm not to happy about that because it got everywhere and I must have been breathing it in for all that time. Drove directly to the dealer, showed them the mist, said I told you so and dropped it off the next morning.

Diagnosed with bad heater core, really, wow. Big deal to swap it out as many on here have mentioned, pull the windshield and dashboard. Since the car was ready for an oil change I mentioned they should do that also.

3 days go by, and they call me @ 3pm that the car is ready, I figure that since I dropped in the morning I would keep the rental till morning and pick it up then (should give them plenty of time to clean it up), LOL

I get there and make the mistake of dropping the rental car off first then go over to the dealer. Here is a list of issues I found wrong after that.

• Radiator core replaced because of leak
• Oil changed but did not reset the counter or put a new sticker on windshield (suspicious)
• Cleaned carpet only on passenger side where heater core is (must have leaked)
• Did not clean interior, film from mist on everything, radiator fluid on dash, center console, door panel
• Dirt and material on dahsboard from window removal/replacement
• Scratched dashboard couple places on passenger side
• I had Declined key fob modification first time , this time they did it without asking (thanks but no thanks)
• Seat bolts were loose
• Windshield had grease, fingermarks on inside and grease pencil writing still on the outside
• Found a panel clip laying on the ground on drivers side (hope this was left over from removal)

Now I am pissed and have to be at work in like 15min, so I gotta go but tell the service guy I will be back and this is F*&#$% totally unacceptable.

Dropped the car off this morning and gave him the list of issues and gotta say, "don't call me till it is all taken car of and ready for the showroom floor"

Kinda bummed because the whole new car smell is now gone, I hope when they detail it helps.

Stay tuned.....
jjstime,

My apologies regarding your dealership service experience and multiple vehicle concerns. Although I understand your displeasure, it's great that you've proactively reached back out to your dealer to look into this further. Keep us in the loop and updated on your service visit. If necessary, I can contact the dealer's Customer Experience Managers if you have additional questions. We'll look forward to your updates .

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
Why are heater cores still going bad on 2014s? This isn't looking good ....
Hoping it's an SS issue and not a V6, but I thought they used the same heater core.
Meaning we're all effed sooner or later.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
jjstime

Drives: 2014 2SS L1E RS NPP
Got a call the car was ready today and went to pick it up.
Everything looks great with all issues addressed and fully detailed with a full tank of gas.

Thumbs up for Jimmy Johnson Chevrolet
Attached Images

jjstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
That there is a great color on the 1LE. Glad they took care of business!
Old 02-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstime View Post
Got a call the car was ready today and went to pick it up.
Everything looks great with all issues addressed and fully detailed with a full tank of gas.

Thumbs up for Jimmy Johnson Chevrolet
jjstime,

Thanks for your update! It's great to hear that Jimmy Johnson Chevrolet addressed your concerns and now service is complete. Moving forward, please let us know how the vehicle operates and don't hesitate to message us if any additional questions arise.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #11
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
That sucks man! Poor service never surpises me when it comes to Chevy. Have delt with so much BS with chevy service it's sad!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #12
Blue14camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro V6
2014 V6 Heater Core Fail

Just picked up my 2014 V6 from dealer. 12,000 miles and heater core began to leak into pax compartment. Luckily I caught it early. The dealer had the car for 2 weeks. Mechanic who did remove/install did great job. I have found no scratches. Unfortunately the strong smell of ethyl glycol is present especially when fan is on but can also smell the sweet smell when simply on vent. Overall they did ok, loaner camaro (2015). Windshield was replaced at time and non-OEM was reinstalled! Since little fluid leaked into pax I agreed to carpet cleaning only and not replace carpet on that side as recommended. They only cleaned carpet mat and when I lifted mat the carpet underneath was not even vacuumed! Detail clean of car was so so. Was told this was third one this year so hope all out there are prepared! Good luck!
Blue14camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
As some of you may know, I also had a problem with my heater core in my 2010 Camaro SS. I fixed it myself (since it was out of warranty) without taking the windshield out. Feel free to look through my "threads started" if you're needing any help. I just thought that it might be helpful stating this in another heater core thread.

Anyways, I hope the dealer takes care of your car the proper way!