Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #365
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
They must replace them. Remember that's the banks car not yours unless you paid cash. I would only have to make one call to my Credit Union and it would get replaced.

Here is the letter that should of came with the car.

Dr Customer. Your car has been fitted with a temporary set of counter balance weights on your front brake calipers. As soon as replacement calipers are available, you will be contacted and the dealer will swap out with the corrected part.

... That's what it should be. And it should be told to the customer before the keys are handed to them.

You can in fact get a refund for the whole car if they refuse to fix them. The bank can get there money back.
I don't mean to sound condescending but good luck getting that refund. The bank and GM would tell you to go pound sand. There is nothing functionally unsafe about them.

My cousin had an issue with his brand new Toyota 4 Runner where Exhaust was coming into the cabin when the rear windows were open (long story) he went through 2 years of fighting and they STILL never took it back, and he gave up.

I want to punch him because he still talks about how he loved it anyway and he would buy Toyota again...
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #366
Beechdoctor

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
What makes everyone so sure they're going to fall off?
When you use the brakes to maximum potential, they get very hot even though isolators are used to limit heat transfer into the caliper body from the pads. These appear to be wheel balance weights that are being "stuck" on using a double sided adhesive tape that often uses a thin foam core. They won't survive the heat long, and I would estimate that a stiff power wash may break them loose.

I have no problem with proper weight dampers on the calipers with good form, fit, and function, but this is without a doubt an after thought. Its not a deal breaker, but very short sighted engineering to fix a nuisance issue without slowing delivery...it looks absolutely laughable to anyone that has a mechanical engineering background.
Beechdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #367
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Again, the early production Brembo's do not need to be replaced and most likely will not get replaced. They can just need to exchange the external wheel weight dampener with an internal engineered dampener -- just like all the other manufacturers do.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #368
Gameover

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechdoctor View Post
When you use the brakes to maximum potential, they get very hot even though isolators are used to limit heat transfer into the caliper body from the pads. These appear to be wheel balance weights that are being "stuck" on using a double sided adhesive tape that often uses a thin foam core. They won't survive the heat long, and I would estimate that a stiff power wash may break them loose.

I have no problem with proper weight dampers on the calipers with good form, fit, and function, but this is without a doubt an after thought. Its not a deal breaker, but very short sighted engineering to fix a nuisance issue without slowing delivery...it looks absolutely laughable to anyone that has a mechanical engineering background.

Just curious, are you sure they are "taped" on? I would assume that its some kind of metal adhesive. Haven't heard fact on that!
Gameover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #369
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:

PURE SPECULATION You're guessing on what the material "appears to be" and how it is applied.....They are Engineers, do you know an engineer that will say "just stick some ordinary wheel wieghts on there" without checking it out? I work with a bunch of them, it's like pulling teeth to get their approval on anything, "they have to run some numbers' and "do a little research first".
Old 04-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #370
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
These appear to be wheel balance weights that are being "stuck" on using a double sided adhesive tape that often uses a thin foam core. They won't survive the heat long, and I would estimate that a stiff power wash may break them loose.
I doubt they would be that negligent -- it could expose them to lawsuits when the weights fly off and hurt or damage someone or something. Even if not, there's no reason to think they are stuck on with foam poster mounting tape. That would be visible in the photos.

Why would you think GM is so incompetent that they would not use high-temperature adhesive to mount them?
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #371
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Ok, so what is the cut off on vins that have them?

Maybe I missed it. So I'll ask again. Does anyone know the vin at which
these are not being used.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #372
Gameover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Maybe I missed it. So I'll ask again. Does anyone know the vin at which
these are not being used.
I think after #4000! Just messing with you. Nobody knows for sure yet!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:37 AM   #373
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameover View Post
I think after #4000! Just messing with you. Nobody knows for sure yet!
Funny Guy!!!!!!!!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #374
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
Again, the early production Brembo's do not need to be replaced and most likely will not get replaced. They can just need to exchange the external wheel weight dampener with an internal engineered dampener -- just like all the other manufacturers do.
You didn't buy Brembs with weights. You purchased Brembs without weights.

This is a customer service 101 issue. The calipers must be replaced. It's about a 2 hour job at the dealer. And of course they must of already ordered fixed calipers for later runs.

Fixing this is PROTECTING the car and it's image. It's not attacking it. It's PROTECTING GM.... not attacking it.

You know how much damage this would do if a pic of these pops up on Drudge later today saying GM shipped them and is not gonna fix?
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #375
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
I'm going to add them on all sorts of parts in the car when I get it, they look cool and have to add at least 10 rwhp if my calculations are correct (and I am NEVER wrong).

Add a couple to the intake manifold for better flowing air, to the steering wheel for better handling and a few to the gas tank for better mileage since I'll be punching it often.

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #376
Gameover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
You didn't buy Brembs with weights. You purchased Brembs without weights.

This is a customer service 101 issue. The calipers must be replaced. It's about a 2 hour job at the dealer. And of course they must of already ordered fixed calipers for later runs.

Fixing this is PROTECTING the car and it's image. It's not attacking it. It's PROTECTING GM.... not attacking it.

You know how much damage this would do if a pic of these pops up on Drudge later today saying GM shipped them and is not gonna fix?
I agree with that statement. If there's more public outcry, then I see it from a marketing prospective. All it takes is one freelance reporter and the story to snowball.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #377
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin View Post
Show me any other "high performance cars" that have this sort of quality engineering. One Porsche, Ferrari, M series Bimmer, just one.

Why wasn't careful evaluation and validation done one, two or three years ago when the car was testing?
They don't even have to be "high end" cars. I have Brembo's on my GT500 and have no weights and no squeal.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #378
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
So does anybody know if they are going to replace the calipers that have these? or are we supposed to live with them like this forever?
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote