Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #85
cjt037
boost+v6=me=:)

Drives: Turbo'd 6er
Pt what part of VA are you in.
cjt037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #86
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Pt what part of VA are you in.
I'm in Richmond but the track I'm going to will be in Dinwiddie just south of Petersburg. Where is the track that your going to?
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #87
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
you guys have to come up to MIR budds creek. If you guys ever head this way please please pm me
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #88
cjt037

Here in Jacksonville.NC bout 3 hours to VA line. Our track being open this weekend depends on weather right now looking to be to cold
Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #89
Pt_killa

Didn't think about the track being closed due to being too cold, I'm gotta check out if Dinwiddie may follow suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
you guys have to come up to MIR budds creek. If you guys ever head this way please please pm me
I thought your car has to run 11 second or less to have a go at Budds Creek, Thats where the pro's run! One day!
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Old 12-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #90
Pt_killa

Dinwiddie is closed tomorrow dec 10th due to weather http://vmpdrag.com/drag/, maybe next week :(
Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #91
cjt037

my speed shops working on somthing special for me right now. stand alone injectors about 4 of them in the head. 12psi with meth . alot of other things if all goes well will be about 550 rwhp this goes on in about two weeks i will post more once i get a price. is thier any other people that would be wanting to do this, that has abilty to do so? it be a bit more pricy then the sts kit or rx kit but once i get a price number
Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #92
Beau

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Richmond stig ran a 12 second 60-130mph today. The new larger 2.5 inch piping I guess reduced the turbulence of the air in the charge piping allowing me to run more boost without blowing out the spark. Before, any boost above 4.5 would cause spark blowout and misfire. Now I'm running 5.5psi spike 7.

My turbo compressor outlet is 2.5" but since march 11, I ran a reducer to 2" and 2" to the intercooler. I think that reducer increased the turbulence in the air and the diameter of the piping was too small for the amount of needed air that could pass through the piping at an adequate velocity. With 2.5" hot side piping much more airflow is allowed and I immeadiatelly noticed better torque and spool down low but still has a similar pull in the top end as before. But since I can run more boost now the car go faster in the top end. Not sure if everything makes sense but this is my interpretation of whats going on.

I'm going to try the track one last time this season on saturday and hopefully get sub 13 times. We FI guys have been getting a lot of slack recently for not producing any timeslips so it has to end now!!!!
Nothing to do with turbulence. a 2 inch pipe doesn't flow very much, and increasing the o2 density by 50% before any heat was added still doesn't equate for very much power. Remember that car still has to breathe through that 2 inch pipe. Even though you still have a turbo behind it which improves an engines VE, the motor is still affected by it. Just like it would be with a throttle body or anything else in it's path. You wouldn't run a 2 inch throttle body right? Why run one several feet long at 2 inches?

I'd suggest moving up to 3 inch in, 3 inch out of that intercooler. All that would do is add maybe .3 seconds worth of transient response, and you'd have an even higher power potential.

Glad to see a lot of you guys going with the extra port fuel injectors I made this suggestion some several months back, I wasn't sure if anyone was going to go for it wether you read the post or discovered it on your own. It really is a simple and effective way. The DI will still cool the combustion chamber, but you won't have the issues with lean spots at high RPMS under big load like DI can have. (not enough time to inject the fuel, you need higher pressures for that)
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #93
Pt_killa

Thanks for the info Beau! When I first started this project I didn't know too much about cars in general. My ill-guided research led me to believe that I needed small diameter piping because the turbo was mounted at the rear of the car. I thought larger piping would increase the time to spool by many seconds, but the truth was only in fractions of a second like you stated.

Recent research allowed me to discover my mistake. I've always ran 3inch from the intercooler to the throttle body and I would run 3 inch back to the turbo but there is no space. 2.5 inch is the biggest I can go without having to cut anything.

Quote:
my speed shops working on somthing special for me right now. stand alone injectors about 4 of them in the head. 12psi with meth . alot of other things if all goes well will be about 550 rwhp this goes on in about two weeks i will post more once i get a price. is thier any other people that would be wanting to do this, that has abilty to do so? it be a bit more pricy then the sts kit or rx kit but once i get a price number
Awesome CJ, let us know how it works out, I may have to take a ride down to NC to check it out next time the tracks are open!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:54 AM   #94
oso305
Shoot First. Ask Later.

Drives: Dark Knight
Pt, i was wondering how about if i buy a ebay turbo kit and just swap out the turbos for a better turbo ( single ) and a bigger intercooler?

i saw them for like under a grand on ebay with piping and everything...

and i was wondering. are we still having the problem with the fuel system? i was wondering why dont we just slap in a walbro 255 fuel pump?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #95
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by oso305 View Post
Pt, i was wondering how about if i buy a ebay turbo kit and just swap out the turbos for a better turbo ( single ) and a bigger intercooler?

i saw them for like under a grand on ebay with piping and everything...

and i was wondering. are we still having the problem with the fuel system? i was wondering why dont we just slap in a walbro 255 fuel pump?
it's not the electric, low pressure fuel pump in the tank that's the issue... it's the mechanical, high pressure fuel pump on the motor that's the issue...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #96
Pt_killa

Track was closed again today due to weather, I think today was the last day for the season so now have to wait until next year.

Would a timed run starting from a stop be good enough for some of you folks concerned with 1/4 mile ET's? I could do a run from 0 to 120? For example, If I get from 0 to 110 in less than 10 seconds you can assume that I'll run at least 12's. It's the best I can do right now unless a drive to a strip down south.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #97
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Do you have an Android phone? If so, download Torque for a few bucks and then get yourself an ELM327 bluetooth OBD-II adapter on ebay for $25.

I use it and it works great. Uses GPS and the car's OBD-II info to calculate 0 -60 and 1/4 mile times. I'm not saying its perfectly accurate but seems like it ain't bad. I did some 0 - 60 runs in my automatic (I'm not experienced at all dragging by the way) and the first few times with some spin I got 6.1 seconds to 60. Third time I launched better and got a 5.9. I know the car has it in it to knock a few tenths off of that which seems about right for my mods.

It may be too much trouble but it is a suggestion lol.

Otherwise...yeah a standing start video of 0 - 110 should be good enough. Just be careful out there if you do!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #98
Pt_killa

Thanks KM, I don't have an andriod but I know people that do. I need to get that cable that software sounds so cool. Ill try it out with the software and the video running simultaneously. My family has a farm with over miles of private road on it so no issues for the run