Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #15
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Loves me some clay bar!!!
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #16
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Any clay will do. I love Adam's products but Meguiar's or Mother's from Autozone, Target or Walmart will do just fine. Make sure and keep the surface lubricated with detail spray or soapy water.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #17
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I got all meguiars stuff.. I am going to get clay bar too but I only clay like once a year.. which it is about that time
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #18
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I would suggest the Turtle Wax Ice clay kit. It comes with a liquid clay that is used on step one, and it works great for removing any type of stains.
Thats not the same thing as clay and a misrepresentation of what the product does on the part of the Turtlewax people... by the very definition of it its actually a cleansing polish, but it is not capable of lifting the bonded contamination that an actual claybar is.

We have a similar product, its called Revive... while it will clean the paint nicely, it does not do near as well as a clay bar at decontaminating.

You can use that 'liquid clay' then immediately use a traditional clay bar after it and you'll see the clay continues to pick things up that the 'liquid clay' simply isn't capable of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdapilmoto View Post
Is it okay getting the clay kit from Autozone as opposed to buying the expensive stuff from Adam's?
Clay is clay is clay... anyone being honest with you will tell you this. Automagic owns the patent on all clay sold within the US thru the end of this year... as such all clay you get (ours, mothers, meguiars, etc) is coming from the same place. The only difference you'll see is colors, grades, and size.

We use a fine grade sticky clay and give you a full 200grams (more than enough to break into 3 chunks for lots of uses) with an air tight storage jar.

The stuff you'll get at autozone is equally effective, its fine grade as well, the main thing is they give you tiny little pieces, but it is what it is... enough to get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
Can you clay the stripes? What about washing and waxing? I heard from someone that you need to tape the edges down but idk how accurate that is
I'd advise against it, more importantly avoid crossing the edge of them as that edge will hold bits of clay.

Last edited by Adam's Polishes; 05-13-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #19
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Thats not the same thing as clay and a misrepresentation of what the product does on the part of the Turtlewax people... by the very definition of it its actually a cleansing polish, but it is not capable of lifting the bonded contamination that an actual claybar is.

We have a similar product, its called Revive... while it will clean the paint nicely, it does not near as well as a clay bar at decontaminating.

You can use that 'liquid clay' then immediately use a traditional clay bar after it and you'll see the clay continues to pick things up that the 'liquid clay' simply isn't capable of.

Clay is clay is clay... anyone being honest with you will tell you this. Automagic owns the patent on all clay sold within the US thru the end of this year... as such all clay you get (ours, mothers, meguiars, etc) is coming from the same place. The only difference you'll see is colors, grades, and size.

We use a fine grade sticky clay and give you a full 200grams (more than enough to break into 3 chunks for lots of uses) with an air tight storage jar.

The stuff you'll get at autozone is equally effective, its fine grade as well, the main thing is they give you tiny little pieces, but it is what it is... enough to get the job done.

I'd advise against it, more importantly avoid crossing the edge of them as that edge will hold bits of clay.

Nothing personal, but you didn't understand my post at all. Turtle wax clay kit has clay bars and lubricant as well as the liquid. Nobody said the liquid clay replaced the bar clay. It's more of a complete kit than the others on the market, and is available just about anywhere.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #20
Adam's Polishes

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but you said a 'a liquid clay that is used on step one'... the product they have called "liquid clay" which is a paint cleanser is the one I'm referring to. I understand they have a traditional clay kit, but the common confusion with people who don't know any better is to pick up the 'liquid clay' and assume its a reasonable substitute for an actual claybar.

More specifically this one:

and direct from TW -
Quote:
The Turtle Wax ICE Liquid Clay Bar is a revolutionary new way to deep clean and restore your car's finish in a fraction of the time it takes with traditional clay bars. A unique triple layer formula consists of a scratch & swirl remover, cleaning agents and an exfoliate that work together to provide outstanding cleaning capabilities. Does not contain harsh abrasives that can scratch or scuff your finish. Easily removes minor scratches, swirls marks, tree sap, paint overspray and embedded dirt and stains that ordinary detailing clays leave behind and creates a smooth as glass finish on all paintwork, fiberglass and metal surfaces.
the very description lays out that its a paint cleansing polish... but by calling it a clay people think they're getting the same result with less work. Its clever, but a tad on the shady side of marketing IMO

Last edited by Adam's Polishes; 05-13-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
ramar
2nd Childhood

Drives: Synergy Green
Dylan, I thought the Liquid Clay was the same as a clay bar..thanks for the info....
ramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #22
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I just want to say this, because I don't know if people are aware. After you clay the car there is NOTHING protecting your paint. You need to follow up claying with waxing.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #23
2SS4JAS

Drives: 2011 IBM 2ss
plan on doing the whole Adams thing on Sunday claying to waxing and using my porter-cable for the first time, getting ready for the fbodygathering coming up
Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #24
denny2188

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2LT
Meguiars Clay Bar Kit worked very well for me
denny2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #25
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramar View Post
Dylan, I thought the Liquid Clay was the same as a clay bar..thanks for the info....
No problem.

And please don't think I'm bashing the product, it very well might be a nice paint cleanser, but to say that a polishing product could take the place of a claybar is misleading and want to make sure people understand that.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #26
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but you said a 'a liquid clay that is used on step one'... the product they have called "liquid clay" which is a paint cleanser is the one I'm referring to. I understand they have a traditional clay kit, but the common confusion with people who don't know any better is to pick up the 'liquid clay' and assume its a reasonable substitute for an actual claybar.

More specifically this one:

and direct from TW -

the very description lays out that its a paint cleansing polish... but by calling it a clay people think they're getting the same result with less work. Its clever, but a tad on the shady side of marketing IMO
LOL ... I stated the liquid clay comes in their clay "KIT" and yes it is used as step one, in a multi step process. And yes it is the same as your Revive, and yes it does work great to remove stains. If you get tannin stains on your car from foliage, you can't beat the liquid for removing them.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #27
Maverickhpr

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2LT RS
I got the clay kit from turtle wax ice it has the liquid clay and a 100 gramm solid clay with lubricant and like sligshot said the liquid clay part of the kit removes all those nasty tree stain that you get this time of year
Old 05-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #28
Adam's Polishes

I understand that, I was just trying to clarify that "LIQUID CLAY" is not a replacement for ACTUAL CLAY. Lots of people make that assumption, and they do sell that product solo. I answer this exact question via our tech line at least a few times a week.

"I have been using a liquid claybar, but my paint still feels rough, will your clay make it smooth"