Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
comm17
Racing Byrds

Drives: '16 BVM 2SS '10 IBM 2SS RS
We have 1 of each, and the torque is defiantly less on the automatic.

The auto is a convertible and my daily driver so those 2 things make up for it, living in sunny Southern California I drive topless alot!

We track both cars a lot, On the drag strip the auto is faster but that is mainly because the shifting of the auto is just that automatic vs human intervention with the manual.

Thank you BECKY!!!
comm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
I have a 2010 LS3, my dad has a 2011 L99, I have driven both and there is clearly a difference between the two. I can honestly say I would not be happy if I were to have chosen the L99.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
OP please read this. You're not just talking about a difference in transmission, shifting, driving experience, and horsepower.

You're talking about two entirely different engines. The manual comes with the legendary LS3 introduced in the Corvette in 2008. It's utterly bullet proof and can be modified to be a truly legitimate racing engine in every conceivable way. Not that it needs it

There's also a difference in sound

Get the manual, get the LS3. Don't deprive yourself from experiencing a piece of automotive history.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
your making 26hp sound like 100 hp lol its not alot at all. my auto is fast dont listen to the "oh you need the man pedal" guys. the 26hp isnt the end of the world and with a quick dyno tune and intake upgrade you will gain that right back. and thats why at the drag strip most of the cars that run the fastest 1/4 miles are automatics... and even the newest Ferrari's and lamobo's are only coming in paddle shift, no more clutch pedal. the auto will be plenty fast for you. but if i were you get the c63 amg!!! are u crazy?!!?!? that thing is a beast and f*ck the m3 it sucks IMO. either way you cant lose. man i wish my parents would buy me a car and give me those 3 options lol first world problems for sure
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
You live in Queens and want to drive a stick? Add a Range AFM, a CAI, and a Vmax tb and you'll be at or around the same hp as a LS3 and may be faster also for about $700.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
usnatclee

Drives: '12 2SS/RS, '13 Vette, '13 Wrangler
Tune, CAI inc intake, and exhaust you will never miss that 26hp. Hell add to that the longtubes and a cam with LS3 conversion and you wont care. Stock though the L99 auto is terrible due to AFM and shitty shift points.
2012 Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS "Timberwolf". Custom exhaust, RX oil catch can and oil breather, CAI inc intake, SLP 160* thermostat, TSP 2" LT headers w/ off road pipes, custom cam, tuned. 467rwhp 450rwtq.

2013 Corvette Torch Red LS3. 378rwhp/375rwtq SAE corrected, tuned.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!
usnatclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #21
Chat01

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
OP please read this. You're not just talking about a difference in transmission, shifting, driving experience, and horsepower.

You're talking about two entirely different engines.The manual comes with the legendary LS3 introduced in the Corvette in 2008. It's utterly bullet proof and can be modified to be a truly legitimate racing engine in every conceivable way. Not that it needs it

There's also a difference in sound

Get the manual, get the LS3. Don't deprive yourself from experiencing a piece of automotive history.
I'm sorry, so I guess the L99 is made from old washing machine parts or something

Very uneducated comment.

The L99 is basically an LS3, it just has a few changes from the LS3 to accommodate for AFM. You can easily look up what they are.
The L99 is still a 376 Cubic inch LS motor like the LS3
The bore and stroke are the same on both motors and both are cast aluminum.
And yes both are bulletproof and legendary.
Chat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #22
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
The A6 makes up for the HP disadvantage in several ways. GM has tuned the gearing ratio, torque converter, and Variable Valve Timing (VVT) to make up for the lost efficiency the auto transmission has compared to the manual. This is why they run nearly identical 1/4 mile and 0-60 times, only a handful of stud drivers have lower "hero" times than the A6. For us mere normal men it won't make much of a difference.

First, the A6 has more aggressive gearing ratios than the M6 which combined with the torque converter provide lots of low end torque. The other bonus to the L99 is the VVT which make both low end torque and high end HP, the LS3 can only have one timing setting so it is not capable of this. The new LT1 engine has VVT as does almost every performance engine these days because of the benefit of making more power under the curve than a conventional push rod.

There is a good thread somewhere in here about the benefits of not doing the L99 to LS3 conversion with lots of good information. I love the A6 but am trading it in for the 1LE, makes my decision pretty easy this time.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #23
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat01 View Post
I'm sorry, so I guess the L99 is made from old washing machine parts or something

Very uneducated comment.

The L99 is basically an LS3, it just has a few changes from the LS3 to accommodate for AFM. You can easily look up what they are.
ive seen L99's make 600hp easily. that was an extremely uneducated comment. with the mods i plan on doing my L99 will hold up just fine to other fast cars. OP i live on Long Island and i can assure you of this most likely you will not have as much fun with the stick as with the auto. both are awesome but because of where we live the stick is a little more tedious to deal with and unless your an awesome manual driver you wont be smoking anything but your clutch lol most guys fail to mention that the M6 camaro isnt the smoothest manual in the world stock. i drove a buddies and it was great but if you dont drive stick all the time GOOD luck those first couple weeks will be fun
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #24
jayscamaro
Banned

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LT
wow learned a lot of good info thanks a lot guys. as you can see i obviously dont know much about cars. and my parents arent buying me these cars lol . they bought me the v6 camaro and the only reason im trading it in is cause the 6s are becoming rental cars which will turn the value of my car into SHIT. im working now and i can afford the monthly payments of all three cars. i want the c63 but i cant afford the car in the long run. so the ss is looking quite great.
jayscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #25
jayscamaro
Banned

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LT
and to the guys who are going to whine about me being spoiled, just talk to my 120,000 thousand dollar scholarship to any country in america. didnt mean to sound like a dick but it always happens. thanks again everyone.
jayscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #26
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat01 View Post

Very uneducated comment.

There are real physical differences between the L99 and LS3. It's a stretch to say they're the same. Sure they're in the same family, but internally they are different in more ways than one. Don't take my word for it. Read these quotes

"L99 camshaft is different -- having a little less duration and a little less lift, both of which give the engine a smoother idle.
L99 has a cam phaser and, to get the additional piston-to-valve clearance required when cam phasing changes, the pistons are different parts having valve reliefs machined into their tops. The reliefs lower the compression ratio to 10.4:1.
L99 PCV system is different having its oil separators in the valve covers rather than down in the valley like the LS3."

"Different cam, lifters, lifter pockets, pushrods, cam, tune, valvesprings etc."

"Biggest difference is the Valve Lifts, Camshaft Duration, and .005 in on the intake valve size."

"L99 is simply a restricted LS3. Smaller heads, crappier cam, horrible tune and shorter pistons."

Absolutely nothing wrong with an L99. But there's also nothing wrong with encouraging a prospective buyer to go for the superior engine, which is the LS3. The L99 and the LS3 have different names for a reason. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Both are great! But a prospective buyer needs to know that there's more to it than just automatic vs. manual.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #27
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Get the C63

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #28
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Buy a prius.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote