Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOULOOZ View Post
I was thinking of running the Mickey Thompson Drag Radials in the 20"..is that typically what guys are running?

Gary
If you look in the tire and wheel section trackman started a thread about the Weld racing 17". From everything I have read and asked and inquired, for the rear the 17" fits, is lightest and will give the best overall 1/4 mile time.

Not being a drag racer I sought tire advice from people that seemed to know and there is not a unanimous consensus. Some guys say Hoosier tires are the bomb but the radials are not as good as the bias (and bias slicks are not DOT approved). Some fast guys said the M&H 325/45/17 drag radial has a construction that gives a little more bite out of the hole and is still DOT approved. M&H does not recommend the tire for street use due to the sidewall flex. Others say the Mickey Thompson times will be almost identical and their tire is more durable. I ordered the M&H but my wheels are on about a 3 week wait list right now. I'm probably not going to be able to do the quarter mile until after I do the Texas mile so I won't have any more hard 1/4 mile data for a while. I'm really looking forward to having enough tire traction that I can run the 1/4 without the engine surging off and on. For now though that has worked the best.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote