Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Forza
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM
First Major Mod - Roto-fab CAI "MY THOUGHTS"

I am far from being a mechanic, but I would consider myself fairly handy, especially with instructions. I'm a geek at work, but I still love my Camaro as if I was a hardcore "car guy".

Obviously I did my homework on these amazing Camaro 5 forums and decided to go with a CAI by Rotofab. Eventually I plan on getting MRT v2.0's installed this spring as well.

I emailed Rot-Fab with about 101 questions on Wed & Thurs of this week. Jennifer responded promptly to all my questions. Living in Canada I needed to make sure my shipping options were in order, and that I got the best bang for my buck (which by the way the CDN loonie is currently worth more than the US Dollar). Woot!

By Thurs afternoon I had placed my order for my V6 CAI, estimated delivery was Friday. Lucky for me I have connections in Michigan, and being that Rotofab is in Indiana, I had next day delivery!

Friday I have my package picked up and brought over the border. Sure I had to pay 13% more tax, but it was well worth it!

Today is Saturday, I have the house to myself. I read the 2-page instructions and think "this seems easy". So I head to the garage, where by the way the Camaro has been in storage all winter under a cover, to begin my first modification.

First impressions The product quality is fantastic, instructions are simple, attention to detail is apparent, and everything comes in a pretty organized box with foam & plastic. Love that!

I simply went through all the instructions step-by-step and everything went smooth. I have to admit I feel like a mechanic at this point.

Two small issues Personally I had a difficult time with the rubber seals that slide onto the metal edges. I blame this partially to the cold temperature in my garage. The REAL ISSUE was when I attempted to close the hood after I put it all together. The hood would not close!!!! So I had to remove one bolt and push a little harder in a downwards motion to get the box "lower" into place. The hood is still a little tight, but it does make for a better seal. I don't recall anyone else having this issue, so I can only assume this was my error?

Anyways thanks to you guys & Jennifer, I have successfully installed my 1st ever CAI. Here are some pics I took along the way.
Attached Images

Forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
It looks much better under the hood with the intake! Congrats!!!
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Cool =D
Old 02-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
Looks great!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
Old 02-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
CarolinaChick

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
Looks great! I hope to be placing an order for one VERY soon!
CarolinaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
ShadoChaser
Gamer & Ghosthunter!

Drives: 2010 GCN 2SS/RS L99
Congrats, it Looks Great.

I love mine, it's made a big difference!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
J.L.TYCHE
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2011 Corvette
I Installed my ROTO-FAB CAI yesterday,takes about 30 min very easy install great product.Sounds fantastic and with out doubt i feel the performance in the low to mid RPM range.Heres some pics
Attached Images

J.L.TYCHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Very nice. Always good to here about a company that provides that kind of service to the customer.

ROTO-FAB rocks.

I may not have their intake (wasn't available at the time I got my INJEN) but I do love their radiator cover.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
The REAL ISSUE was when I attempted to close the hood after I put it all together. The hood would not close!!!! So I had to remove one bolt and push a little harder in a downwards motion to get the box "lower" into place. The hood is still a little tight, but it does make for a better seal. I don't recall anyone else having this issue, so I can only assume this was my error?

In looking at your picture, I can tell you that the air box is not seated properly. There are two possibilities for this. First, there is a plastic clip right along the frame rail a few inches back from the lower grommet the air box engages. It is a black clip with 2 ears, one on either side to retain the A/C line. It is possible to catch one ear and pinch it under the air box. This will cause the air box to be high. The other possibility is the stud isn't engaged in the lower grommet. This may be easier to see with a flashlight. In either case you will need to remove the nut on the stud that retains your air box. You then should be able to lift the air box upward a little and use a finger pull the plastic A/C clip from underneath the air box. make sure the stud enters the grommet when going back down with the air box.
This picture shows the grommet which the air box stud engages and the plastic A/C line retainer with the ears on each side.

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Another Roto-Fab fan here, installed mine a few weeks back, love the new sound it gave my v6!
Attached Images

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
Forza
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM
Also, is the grommet that black circle on the frame rail? If so is there a nipple or something on the air box that fits into that grommet?
Forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
trucker north

Drives: black silver stripe 1 ss
Thumbs up Roto Fab

I have the CaI polished the rad cover ,and fuse box cover . very pleased with his work. Being very close to his shop mine was installed buy him . he even swept and washed my car!!! He has a lot of experience . I believe he worked for LPE. And no dummies work there . Buy there products good quality and support .
trucker north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
GMGP5X

Drives: 2011 2LT RS VR 2008 Silverado 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
Also, is the grommet that black circle on the frame rail? If so is there a nipple or something on the air box that fits into that grommet?
Yes and yes.
GMGP5X is offline   Reply With Quote