Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
I want to make my exhaust sound better

These are the mods I have in mind to achieve my goal.

MRT v2 (I want a deeper sounding exhaust)
JBA shorties
Vararam intake
Trifecta Tune (ghost cam)

Feel free to critique and add some insight.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I just put'em on this week- add Solo HiFlo res-cats to your list.

You can do a search in the vendor sales section to see them. They won't cause a CEL and should pass inspection if your state/local area is not too strick.

Sound is deeper without drone, rasp, or 'fast-n-furious'
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
BigJake707
Resident Cynic

Drives: "Shakira" 2010 Camaro 1LT V6
I'm a big lobbyist for Res delete also...it changes the note to something a bit louder and deeper than just the mrt sound. Shorties are always the good choice for sound in my book, they seem to provide a more "full" sound than the clips of long tubes that I've heard. All in all for exhaust, you are doing it right. Go team MRT!

Sent from my MB860 using Xparent Red Tapatalk
BigJake707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
BigJake707
Resident Cynic

Drives: "Shakira" 2010 Camaro 1LT V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Touche, sir.

@OP, you'll probably come to find the best sounding setups (according to most)amongst us v6'rs definately include ARK, Solo, and MRT. Happy hunting with the best setup for YOU!

BigJake707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
+1,000,000
Old 03-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
jmontalvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJake707 View Post
I'm a big lobbyist for Res delete also...it changes the note to something a bit louder and deeper than just the mrt sound. Shorties are always the good choice for sound in my book, they seem to provide a more "full" sound than the clips of long tubes that I've heard. All in all for exhaust, you are doing it right. Go team MRT!

I checked my state's inspection criteria and this is what I found.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

So I'm guessing res-deletes are out of the question.

From what I've read, MRTs give out an annoying drone in the 1k-2.5k range. How bad is it? I usually drive with my music on around 15-20 on the stock speakers (except when I drive my mom around then there's no music on). Would it really affect me that much?

I kinda like the ARK Performance DT-S Exhaust but that's a little too much for me at the moment.

I also plan on getting some T2 ports installed. I know that if I get them installed, more air will go into a traditional intake as opposed to Vararam's intake. Will the more airflow allow for the exhaust to sound better? Because if that's the case, I might go with CAI or K&N. Or should I just go with CAI/K&N because I'll get better HP gains than with Vararam?
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
Old 03-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
I checked my state's inspection criteria and this is what I found.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

So I'm guessing res-deletes are out of the question.

From what I've read, MRTs give out an annoying drone in the 1k-2.5k range. How bad is it? I usually drive with my music on around 15-20 on the stock speakers (except when I drive my mom around then there's no music on). Would it really affect me that much?

I kinda like the ARK Performance DT-S Exhaust but that's a little too much for me at the moment.

I also plan on getting some T2 ports installed. I know that if I get them installed, more air will go into a traditional intake as opposed to Vararam's intake. Will the more airflow allow for the exhaust to sound better? Because if that's the case, I might go with CAI or K&N. Or should I just go with CAI/K&N because I'll get better HP gains than with Vararam?

some people say it's horrible, others don't notice it because they like the sound, it just depends on your hearing.

ARK is one of the more expensive exhausts but it is very nice!!!! i've had it for a couple weeks now and i still love the way it sounds. plus i'm getting an injen cai here shortly so that'll change the noise a bit too. i don't think Vararam has proved their gains fully but everything i read about them is the gain is noticeable. i had the black K&N intake but that gave me CEL problems so went back to stock. top intakes are CAI/Injen/RotoFab/Vararam. they all will change the exhaust sound in some way but it all depends on your taste and how big a wallet.
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
jmontalvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafboy View Post
some people say it's horrible, others don't notice it because they like the sound, it just depends on your hearing.

ARK is one of the more expensive exhausts but it is very nice!!!! i've had it for a couple weeks now and i still love the way it sounds. plus i'm getting an injen cai here shortly so that'll change the noise a bit too. i don't think Vararam has proved their gains fully but everything i read about them is the gain is noticeable. i had the black K&N intake but that gave me CEL problems so went back to stock. top intakes are CAI/Injen/RotoFab/Vararam. they all will change the exhaust sound in some way but it all depends on your taste and how big a wallet.
I want to go to graduate school so I'm trying to save up a lot of money. I'm thinking about investing $2k-$2.5k over the next couple of years. It's going to be spent mainly on the stuff in my sig and some autobot emblems.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
ffnva40

Drives: Silver 2012 Camaro LS w black rims
which Solo system did you put in. I'm putting in the Mach X-LLT Cat-back
ffnva40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #11
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
OP, I get the whole economic thing. It's cliche but you do in fact get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Patrick864 RS

Drives: 2011 CGM IPF Supercharged LLT
I have the mrt 2 and aem intake and I don't have any drone...except for when I am on the interstate and I'm going 85 and accelerate up to 90. That's the only noise I've ever heard. Like someone said, depends on hearing. When I am in low rpm range the coins shake in my cupholders and my mirror vibrates like bass with no music. I love it. It's only gotten louder over the past month and I wouldn't have chosen anything else by the sound tone, a loud deep throttle with a mid idle. I have vids on YouTube of my exhaust. Username PRD864...the one at night sounds better.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Still loving my cherry bombs, they are settling in and sound so good
Old 03-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
There may be more favorable setups, but if you are set on doing what you have listed in your original post, worry not!

It will sound fantatic....much more so once the shorties are installed and you give em some time to settle in.