Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #29
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
You guys have to remember one thing. SEMA got a law passed that says that the car manufacturer cannot void a warranty just because you installed aftermarket parts. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that the aftermarkt part caused the failure. It's the law. Contact SEMA for more details if you have a problem with warranty coverage.
Id like to hear some more about this, any online info on it??
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #30
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Id like to hear some more about this, any online info on it??
Moss-Magnuson warranty act.

The problem is it turns into a "he said, she said." If you change the ECM software, chances are your powertrain warranty will be void if they find out about it. They can easily claim that changing the operating parameters of the engine could have unknown undesired effects that could filter down throughout the whole powertrain.

To be honest, they could even do this for stuff like a CAI and headers because the net result is increased HP/torque which would increase the stress on the various drivetrain components. I think, in general, they don't do this but in theory they could.

Basically, if you mod you're risking your powertrain warranty. They may still honor it but all bets are off. The more you do, the more at risk you are.

Now if your radio dies 2yrs from now, they have to honor that no matter what you do to your engine.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #31
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
The problem is it turns into a "he said, she said."
Not really. The guarantor of the warranty has the burden to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure.

Some information on Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

It's a long read, but there are answers in there. There is one key part that you MUST know as a consumer and that is that ambiguous statements in a warranty are construed against the drafter of the warranty.

The Act does not require that manufacturers or sellers of consumer products provide written warranties. Instead, the act requires that manufacturers and sellers who do warrant their products to clearly disclose the terms of the warranty so that the consumer understands his or her rights under the warranty. I read that to mean that If you can read, and you have read your warranty and you can't clearly see that your warranty would be voided by making the proposed change, then it cannot be voided by the warrantor. Unless, of course, they can prove that the aftermarket installation caused the failure.

The SEMA Action Network has some great information/tips for you if you have been denied warranty service.

Also from the SEMA Action Network:
"The main point of interest here is that the Act says warranty coverage may not be conditioned upon the use of only the vehicle manufacturer's parts unless the parts are provided free of charge. In other words, use of a non-carmaker product should not void your warranty unless it caused the problem."

I have also read that the law extends to access to OBD.
"Vehicle manufacturers must install systems to alert drivers when an emissions control system is malfunctioning. The electronic systems, called “on-board diagnostics” (OBD), are used to monitor the emissions control system along with a number of other vehicle functions. The law requires that the aftermarket have access to OBD service information in order to repair and service a vehicle, as well as manufacture replacement and specialty aftermarket performance equipment."

I don't know for sure, but I would think by reading that you could argue that electronic information can be considered "performance equipment". I think, again, the warranty writer would have the burden of proving that a change to the electronics is what caused the failure.

Last edited by Apex Paul; 11-16-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #32
427 Fred

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS, VR, AUTO, LS7, DO
I ordered my 2ss A6 with a dealer option LS7 crate engine. Turns out dealer couldn't get the tune for the engine from Chevrolet. Customer service refered problem to GM and they told dealer to have a private tune done on PCM and it would not void warranty.

64 and still having fun
427 Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #33
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 Fred View Post
I ordered my 2ss A6 with a dealer option LS7 crate engine. Turns out dealer couldn't get the tune for the engine from Chevrolet. Customer service refered problem to GM and they told dealer to have a private tune done on PCM and it would not void warranty.

64 and still having fun
Fred,

1.) You are a mad man...LS7, NICE!

2.) Get it in writing, if at all possible. I wouldn't trust a dealer or corporation any further than I could throw 'em, if they were not willing to put it to paper.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #34
MSully1123
Sully

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Do you have any more ECM's for sale?
MSully1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #35
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Necrothread

I am answering the new guy's question and then lets leave it at that. This topic has been beat to death.

Getting a spare ECM does NOT work for multiple reasons:

1) the serial numbers from the car and the ECM won't match what GM has on file

2) the mileage won't add up (yes I know that people "say" that mileage isn't stored on the ECM but do you actually "know" this, or are you "saying" this?)

3) IF you get a problem and need to swap back to the stock ECM, the stock ECM won't read whatever CEL that you were showing with the tuned ECM. So the dealer will think nothing is wrong when he plugs it in to check it. Because no codes will be thrown.

4) Putting the stock ECM back into the car and untuning it will do damage to whatever mods you have.

*Sorry to kind of rant, but I really don't want a 2 and a half year old thread coming back to life*
Old 06-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #36
MSully1123
Sully

So what do you suggest I do? I'm really wanting to get my SS tuned
Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #37
MSully1123
Sully

Who's side are you on Gary Tucker?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #38
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSully1123 View Post
Do you have any more ECM's for sale?

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #39
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
Why isn't it fair? Why should GM warranty your modified item or anything it is affecting? GM has every right to refuse to warranty modified items as they have no control over the quality of the modification or the additional stress it may cause.
Agreed.
But, that being the case (GM) have a viable option for your consumers to mod or tune without it costing them their first born male.
I was told if I have GM install a CAI, exhaust and / or headers it would cost 100% more than aftermarket prices, and the vehicle would have to be shipped out to get a proper tune which would cost me "thousands" of dollars.
After doing the math it was cheaper to have a "pro" race shop do the work, and if necessary buy a new block if I had to.
Warrantly is useless unless you plan on drivng stock for 5yrs., which for most is not an option especially on the SS.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #40
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
^^^ Correct. Now can we PLEASE let this thread die. I PM'd the new guy and he and I are working it out. No more posts thank you