Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #127
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Okay, maybe I need to rephrase that. I didn't mean work better but instead which would someone prefer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post

Personally, I would go with mitt because you can use the mitt to hold rinseless solution that you could use as clay lube.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #128
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Okay, maybe I need to rephrase that. I didn't mean work better but instead which would someone prefer.
Never tried the mitt. The cloth works fine for me. Can't say which is better

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #129
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Just watched the above video. It's not clear to me whether or not he feels comfortable going straight to sealing with this.. He says he's not then a minute later that he is. Anybody know what his discomfort is all about? Is it micromarring?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #130
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
Just watched the above video. It's not clear to me whether or not he feels comfortable going straight to sealing with this.. He says he's not then a minute later that he is. Anybody know what his discomfort is all about? Is it micromarring?
To which video are you referring? I may have missed something.

I'd have no reservations about going from this to sealant, I actually did it today.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #131
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Post #125, Garry Dean video.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #132
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
Post #125, Garry Dean video.
The claying material on both products are the same, so I think you would be fine to go to sealant/wax after claying with it

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #133
pkauf

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Convertible RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I was turned on to a new potential clay alternative by Todd when he wrote his review on The Speedy Surface Prep Towel. I was a little skeptical, and if you're anything like me, you take everything with a grain of salt when it comes from someone selling you something. That is NOT a knock against Todd, it's just a general thing I live by. If you haven't checked out his thread on it, go find it. It's really great, this is just another perspective.

Attachment 397272

Anyway, I got a chance to try it today as I muddled through 9.5 hours of detailing my car (still not done ). I'm here to tell you, you can throw your clay away. This thing is amazing, and better than clay in every way I can think of. I'll tell you why.

First of all, it's FAST. It cut my claying time at least in half, and that's even with me being paranoid about marring with a new product. What you do is mist a panel with clay lube, mist the rubber part of the towel, and just wipe it across. If it gets contaminated, rinse it off in a bucket of water and keep going. The towel is much bigger than a piece of clay and it also clears the paint in less swipes than clay does. Win-win.

Second, it's safe. I keep my paint in probably 90-95% perfect condition at all times, something I have to work at very hard since it's a DD. I noticed no marring whatsoever under garage lights and the Brinkmann. I didn't post pics because, well it's hard to post pics of what doesn't happen...

Third, it's easier to use. What I mean by this is it's easier to know when you're done. The towel acts/feels like the baggy does when you're testing your paint. You can feel all the grit and then feel it become smooth. You don't get that with clay.

Fourth, it's more economical. A cheap clay kit can cost you $20, and usually comes with 2 clay bars. For me, that's usually about 4-6 cars. This towel claims to be good for up to 100 cars, and costs $60. To get to 100 cars, I'd have to spend upward of $300 on the clay kits.

Fifth, what's the most frustrating thing about clay? You're working a panel, getting it all smoothed out and it slips out of your hand. Great, now you have to throw it away and get a new piece. What if that happens with the Speed Towel? You rinse it off in water and continue. Love it.

If I had one complaint, it's that it's difficult to tell when the black rubber becomes contaminated. With clay, you can see it and you know when to fold. It's hard to know when to rinse off the towel, but I did it after every panel to be safe. Maybe if the rubber was a different color it would be easier. I know that's not much of a "flaw" but I had to try to come up with something.

This is my absolute favorite new product I've tried in a long, long time. I honestly would've paid twice as much as I did after trying it. It's THAT good. I'm extremely pleased and doubt I'll ever go back to clay. I may keep a bar on hand for some really nasty crap, but this is the future for me. I just wish I had found it sooner.
Just bought this. . . . Thanks for the writeup!!!

Paul
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #134
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkauf View Post
Just bought this. . . . Thanks for the writeup!!!

Paul
Sweet! Let me know how you like it!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #135
pkauf

Quote:
Sweet! Let me know how you like it!

Wildo. I had my 2010 2LT for 3 years and bought clay setup and never used it - I had never done it before, and was way paranoid I was going to screw something up. This appeared to be easier and less possibility of screwing up. When you said "you washed after each panel to be safe" - I assume you mean each quarter panel, trunk lid, hood, etc? Any other tips for a newbie to clay/etc like me?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #136
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Wildo. I had my 2010 2LT for 3 years and bought clay setup and never used it - I had never done it before, and was way paranoid I was going to screw something up. This appeared to be easier and less possibility of screwing up. When you said "you washed after each panel to be safe" - I assume you mean each quarter panel, trunk lid, hood, etc? Any other tips for a newbie to clay/etc like me?
Yes. To begin, wash and, optionally, dry the car. Get yourself a bucket of clean water. Spray your section with clay lube and spray the rubber side of the towel as well. Using light pressure, wipe it across the paint. You'll hear and feel the grit underneath the towel when you begin, keep going until it's smooth. Then rinse the cloth in the water, wring it out a little, and repeat. Super easy.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #137
pkauf

Quote:
Yes. To begin, wash and, optionally, dry the car. Get yourself a bucket of clean water. Spray your section with clay lube and spray the rubber side of the towel as well. Using light pressure, wipe it across the paint. You'll hear and feel the grit underneath the towel when you begin, keep going until it's smooth. Then rinse the cloth in the water, wring it out a little, and repeat. Super easy.
What type of motions when using the towel - straight lines? circular?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #138
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
What type of motions when using the towel - straight lines? circular?
Whatever you want. Clay isn't abrasive. I go in straight lines mostly.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #139
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I picked this kit up a couple of weeks ago and was surprised how easy it was. I've always hated the clay process, but this works just as well and takes less time. I only needed two passes max to get it clean.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #140
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
I ordered it. I've never clayed a car before, but this makes it seem easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk